PDA

View Full Version : Recommended CPU Temp Programs

Stoneyguy
04-13-11, 12:07 PM
I'm wondering what CPU temp program has been considered the most reliable. My bios is telling me that my CPU is running at 50 degrees while MSI's own software and RealTemp have it in the mid to high 30's idle.

My CPU is a Sandy Bridge 2600K and it's being cooled by an H70 with the fans running at the reduced 1600 RPM.

Airbrushkid
04-13-11, 01:17 PM
Coretemp.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Roadhog
04-13-11, 01:26 PM
the bios puts your cpu under load.

ViN86
04-13-11, 01:31 PM
Coretemp.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

^

mailman2
04-13-11, 01:48 PM
realtemp 3.67

Stoneyguy
04-13-11, 02:07 PM
the bios puts your cpu under load.

My sarcasm detector must be broken. Stop messing with my mind!

Thanks guys, so far every program is consistent at mid 30s. Anyone know what sensor the Bios uses? Since there is only one reading, does it only take the 1st Core's temp?

Roadhog
04-13-11, 03:35 PM
My sarcasm detector must be broken. Stop messing with my mind!

Thanks guys, so far every program is consistent at mid 30s. Anyone know what sensor the Bios uses? Since there is only one reading, does it only take the 1st Core's temp?

No sarcasm. It does put the CPU under a load.

Stoneyguy
04-13-11, 04:03 PM
No sarcasm. It does put the CPU under a load.

In your opinion, do you think the 50 degree reading is correct? I find it hard to believe that my CPU can go from cold to 50 in such a short period of time.

Airbrushkid
04-13-11, 11:46 PM
Whats your room temp?

bob saget
04-13-11, 11:50 PM
realtemp for me...

Roadhog
04-13-11, 11:59 PM
In your opinion, do you think the 50 degree reading is correct? I find it hard to believe that my CPU can go from cold to 50 in such a short period of time.

Depends on what it's reading. If you are reading the die then it can go from 30 to 50 in a split second. I have heard of sandy bridge reading temps and voltages wrong I think. Might want to see if there is a bios update.

Stoneyguy
04-14-11, 01:16 AM
Whats your room temp?

At a guess I would say 78F.

I do have the latest bios update. I'll just assume that the Bios is reading high for whatever reason. Everything else I plugged in says it's mid 30s. I'll start doing stress test to see if it gets around 50 @ load.

Greedo
04-14-11, 01:42 AM
realtemp

frenchy2k1
04-14-11, 01:06 PM
during BIOS, your speedstep is disabled, so CPU runs at full speed (max frequency) and all cores enabled.
If you configured your windows correctly, your CPU should slow down and down voltage automatically at idle. Hence the reduction in temp.

Stoneyguy
04-14-11, 02:52 PM
during BIOS, your speedstep is disabled, so CPU runs at full speed (max frequency) and all cores enabled.
If you configured your windows correctly, your CPU should slow down and down voltage automatically at idle. Hence the reduction in temp.

Thanks. I never thought of that.

Just a follow up, I've run a few stress test on my CPU and after awhile my temps got up to 65C. Then when I shut the stress test down it instantly goes down to mid 40s and slowly goes down from there back to mid 30s. How the hell can something instantly lose 20C? Even if it is accurate, I can't see how such a dramatic drop can be good for the CPU. I'm weary of performing more test now.

Roadhog
04-14-11, 03:16 PM
Thanks. I never thought of that.

Just a follow up, I've run a few stress test on my CPU and after awhile my temps got up to 65C. Then when I shut the stress test down it instantly goes down to mid 40s and slowly goes down from there back to mid 30s. How the hell can something instantly lose 20C? Even if it is accurate, I can't see how such a dramatic drop can be good for the CPU. I'm weary of performing more test now.

Your cpu is designed to handle that... You think intel for all those years they made cpus, you are the first to notice temperatures change fast?

Why it changes so fast is because it is reading a temperature from within the actual die of the chip.

Stoneyguy
04-14-11, 05:03 PM
Your cpu is designed to handle that... You think intel for all those years they made cpus, you are the first to notice temperatures change fast?

Why it changes so fast is because it is reading a temperature from within the actual die of the chip.

I'm not sure what to assume. I've had a Q9550 prior to this on air cool and I don't recall seeing such a dramatic drop.

What is it about the die of the chip that gives it the ability to drop 20C instantaneously?

Roadhog
04-14-11, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure what to assume. I've had a Q9550 prior to this on air cool and I don't recall seeing such a dramatic drop.

What is it about the die of the chip that gives it the ability to drop 20C instantaneously?

Ok, lets say that you have an electric stove top, and that the coils are the cpu die, and your hand is the thermal probe. You have the stove set to high, and you touch the coil. Your hand gets hot instantly. That is how programs like core temp read. Now, you have the same hot burner, but you put your hand a few inches beside it. You won't notice a temperature change as fast, and it won't be near as hot. That is what most programs, and your bios is reading, a sensor next to the cpu die, but not in it like the other.

Stoneyguy
04-14-11, 11:52 PM
Ok, lets say that you have an electric stove top, and that the coils are the cpu die, and your hand is the thermal probe. You have the stove set to high, and you touch the coil. Your hand gets hot instantly. That is how programs like core temp read. Now, you have the same hot burner, but you put your hand a few inches beside it. You won't notice a temperature change as fast, and it won't be near as hot. That is what most programs, and your bios is reading, a sensor next to the cpu die, but not in it like the other.

Thanks Roadhog, but I'm wondering what makes the die able to drop temps so quickly. Like an electric stove top's coils, even if you cut all electricity to it you won't see a dramatic drop instantly. The kind of drastic drops would be more comparable to a microwave but it's not based on the same principle.

Roadhog
04-15-11, 12:12 AM
Thanks Roadhog, but I'm wondering what makes the die able to drop temps so quickly. Like an electric stove top's coils, even if you cut all electricity to it you won't see a dramatic drop instantly. The kind of drastic drops would be more comparable to a microwave but it's not based on the same principle.

Well the cpu is being cooled, and its also very very tiny and the material doesn't retain heat...

Pennyboy
04-26-11, 07:17 AM
My bios reports 50c for the CPU too. And core temp etc reports in the low 30s. I wouldn't worry about it. Your CPU is running well in it's limits.