PDA

View Full Version : ivy bridge to get native usb 3.0 and thunderbolt

wheeljack12
04-15-11, 06:36 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ivy-bridge-usb-superspeed-thunderbolt,12579.html

AngelGraves13
04-16-11, 03:04 AM
Great news :)

hirantha
04-16-11, 10:59 PM
Talking about IB already? and we are yet to see the X79.. That just makes me sad.

AngelGraves13
04-18-11, 10:24 PM
I'll just wait for this then...no reason to waste money on sandy bridge. For all we know, they may change sockets again for this.

Intel17
04-19-11, 01:18 AM
They will not change sockets.

AngelGraves13
04-19-11, 04:44 AM
They will not change sockets.

That's what she said.

mullet
04-19-11, 08:07 AM
Indeed, the new Intel "lets release the midrange crap first" schedule makes me mad!

It's kinda good because it allows us people with slower PCs to catch up to you. :p

Redeemed
04-19-11, 10:49 AM
Like Intel17 said, Intel won't change sockets for it's low end platform this time.
But it's not 100% guaranteed that all current boards will be able to handle the new CPUs. The better boards should be compatible though.

lol

IMO that strategy makes no sense at all. It's like if Mercedes would introduce innovative technology in its A Class first instead of the S Class.

Listen here, "Mr. S. Class", us "A-class" folk deserve some innovative-technology-lovin' too!

:p

Redeemed
04-19-11, 11:30 AM
I only drive an E-Class, so no S Class for me :p

Seriously, at some point the tech also comes down to E, C and A class cars. Usually when the next generation hits.
Intel did the same for a long time and I wouldn't say that approach failed. I really miss those days :o

I'm just giving you crap. :p I know what you're talking about though, and agree. :)

mullet
04-19-11, 12:52 PM
slaWter lol is on a roll. hate will not make ivy branch come any faster. HAHAHAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Redeemed. slaWter, has always been very civil nice guy its good to see him unravel a little at times.

mullet
04-20-11, 12:13 PM
Great now I am all confused. I just want 6 or 8 cores with triple or quad channel memory, USB 3.0, Sata 111. I just want to all out on my next system I don't care if it's 3K.

nekrosoft13
04-20-11, 12:31 PM
Great now I am all confused. I just want 6 or 8 cores with triple or quad channel memory, USB 3.0, Sata 111. I just want to all out on my next system I don't care if it's 3K.

i want SATA 111, aswell :captnkill:

mullet
04-20-11, 04:36 PM
Good grief. well ****.

Moshing
04-22-11, 07:41 PM
The Ivy Bridge Workstation platform (SNB-E successor) will probably deliver all that, and more.

If Intel would still be rocking its good old release schedule, that platform would be on the market pretty soon. But no, not anymore :headexplode: I'd say that platform will be released in Q4 2012 instead of Q4 2011/Q1 2012.

While all of those waiting on Sandy Bridge's successor, I feel sympathy. But for me, I'm totally cool with the release schedule being what it is. Christmas will bring SnB-E 6 cores+quad channel mem+PCIe lanes galore+the kitchen sink. That will make a nice upgrade from my 2600K on it's own. I'm all kinds of alright with that, in fact :D

My only hope is that there is a version of the Sabertooth for X79, and that it be roughly similar to the existing one with thermal shield and all.

Moshing
04-23-11, 10:46 AM
Yeah but what happens a few months after when Ivy Bridge releases instead of "IB-E"? Then you're in the same situation. A situation that was never there before in the past because Intel used a release schedule that made sense!

btw, I'm waiting for the Gulftown successor. I have no interest in a midrange product.

LOL, thinking logically, right now at least, existing Sandy Bridge is the high end, not the mid range. Intel's intentions not withstanding, if X58 is not the dominant gaming platform anymore since P67+NF200 is faster for gaming purposes (having nothing to do with the PCIe bandwidth since it's not strained by even quad SLI/Crossfire, and everything to do with the CPU itself), then that automatically makes the faster platform, the high end right now and until Christmas time. Price is not a factor when performance is the final arbiter.

Ivy Bridge won't be ready will late next year, most likely Q4 2012 or even Q1 2013 before there's more then a single model of it available as an "Extreme Edition". Sandy Bridge E will get around a year at the top. That's just fine.

Also, rumor is now that Intel will be bundling Sandy Bridge E with either an Asetek or CoolIT liquid cooler. That's not a tiny investment. SnB E will be around for a while alongside IB. IB-E may not even come till much later.