PDA

View Full Version : Gainward has $1000 GeForce FX 5900 Ultra Golden Sample


Maverickman
08-08-03, 08:14 PM
Check out this article on www.xbitlabs.com and see Gainward's new Golden Sample GeForce FX 5900 Ultra for $1000 or 899 euros. This beast is water cooled and capable of a core/memory clock of over 500/950. And you thought $499 was too much to pay for a video card?!?

ringu61
08-08-03, 09:50 PM
cool I wanna use water cooling kits on my Leadtek GeForce FX5900 too ( my Leadtek FX5900 uses reference Cooling)
My core @ 520 and Mem @ 985 now ^^ imagine when I got the water cooling kit ^^

rokzy
08-08-03, 10:35 PM
I understand watercooling cards being a bit more expensive to produce, but it seems like they're then adding on another couple hundred dollars just to round it up to $1000.

absolute rip-off.

Maverickman
08-08-03, 11:10 PM
I agree. But there are people who will cough up $1000 to own this card. Otherwise, why would Gainward even produce it?

rokzy
08-09-03, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Maverickman
I agree. But there are people who will cough up $1000 to own this card. Otherwise, why would Gainward even produce it?

imo, publicity of having the first $1000 card on the market, and a prototype for water cooling becoming more common.

any retards who actually buy it is a bonus.

Geforce4ti4200
08-09-03, 10:31 AM
probably for millionares too lazy to oc or setup watercooling, they do the work for you :rolleyes:

Johnmcl7
08-09-03, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by rokzy
imo, publicity of having the first $1000 card on the market, and a prototype for water cooling becoming more common.

any retards who actually buy it is a bonus.

Didn't Gainward already release a water cooled 5800 Ultra, or was that never commercially released? It was quite a nice setup, with the water cooling pump fitting in a 5.25 inch drivebay, although also rather expensive.

John

reever2
08-09-03, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Johnmcl7
Didn't Gainward already release a water cooled 5800 Ultra, or was that never commercially released? It was quite a nice setup, with the water cooling pump fitting in a 5.25 inch drivebay, although also rather expensive.

John

It probably didnt gain acceptance because even with watercooling the 5800U didnt overclock any more than it would with air cooling

digitalwanderer
08-09-03, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by reever2
It probably didnt gain acceptance because even with watercooling the 5800U didnt overclock any more than it would with air cooling
Yeah, I remember that one. It was a cute as heck little unit, but by making it so little and cute they sort of killed the whole idea of effective water-cooling, you need something decent to cool the water with. ;)

Johnmcl7
08-09-03, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by reever2
It probably didnt gain acceptance because even with watercooling the 5800U didnt overclock any more than it would with air cooling

It was silent though, obviously noise was a big factor with that card!

John

NickSpolec
08-09-03, 08:43 PM
It would costs you less to buy a GeForceFX 5900 Ultra, and a water cooling case kit in which all you have to do is put the water blocks on.


The advantage to this is you actually get to water cool your entire system.

quik_2_win
08-09-03, 11:18 PM
...my factory air-cooled FX5800U will do 551/1100...water is for the bath tub?

reever2
08-10-03, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by quik_2_win
...my factory air-cooled FX5800U will do 551/1100...water is for the bath tub?

You must have just gotten a good card I guess, even with the watercooling Toms could only overclock the thing to 540/1080