PDA

View Full Version : IPS or 120Hz?

Pages : [1] 2

sillyeagle
04-19-11, 07:09 PM
I'm looking for a new sub $300 23inch screen, and it seems I need to chose between an IPS panel and one capable of 120Hz. I've not seen either in action, so I'm wondering if anybody can give some guidance or recommendation on which way to go?

I wonder how much 120Hz improves things considering my framerates don't tend to get nearly that high.

Q
04-19-11, 07:38 PM
Do you care about 3D? (120Hz is the only choide)

Do you care about color shift? (IPS is the only choice)

I can't use anything but IPS, but let use know what you're priorities are. What are you using now?

I bet you're using a liquid CRYSTAL display, aren't you?!?

;)

nekrosoft13
04-20-11, 12:20 PM
depends on your needs, if you are like me, Q, or slaWter, then color matters more.

sillyeagle, aren't you into photography as well? then IPS will be better.

mullet
04-20-11, 01:15 PM
depends on your needs, if you are like me, Q, or slaWter, then color matters more.

sillyeagle, aren't you into photography as well? then IPS will be better.

+1

dairy hick
04-20-11, 02:46 PM
I'm looking for a new sub $300 23inch screen, and it seems I need to chose between an IPS panel and one capable of 120Hz. I've not seen either in action, so I'm wondering if anybody can give some guidance or recommendation on which way to go?

I wonder how much 120Hz improves things considering my framerates don't tend to get nearly that high.
I recommend saving money for an Apple LED Cinema Display and getting an adaptor so you can hook it up via DVI.

e-IPS panels aren't worthit as they're only 6 bit like TN panels. Not all H-IPS panels are equal either. In the anand review of the Apple, the Dell H-IPS model has much higher input lag and they both use an H-IPS panel.

If you're going 3D, then you'll need 120Hz.

The only gripe I have with my Apple LED Cinema display is that it's a WLED instead of a RGB LED, but the color quality is still better than that of the average LCD. Its decent input lag time can be reduced significantly in D3D games (so I can have vsync on and barely tell a difference between it and a CRT) by setting render-ahead frames to 1 and using a tool to limit frame rates to < 60fps. With OpenGL I just force triple buffering and turn vsync off.

mailman2
04-20-11, 04:16 PM
<3 my 120Hz. Will never NOT have one again... no vsync, no tearing... it's the best thing I've bought in forever.

sillyeagle
04-20-11, 05:57 PM
I'm still using a Diamondtron CRT with it's super high contrast mode. I've never seen an LCD that can match it's contrast and colors, so I've not changed it out yet. Since I game mostly in a dark room having black that is actually black is important. Something like Metro 2033 on an LCD in a dark room looks really washed out compared to my CRT, due to the fact there is no real black.

So I guess color and contrast are the most important things for me. I know I will never get the blacks I want with an LCD, so I'll likely just have to get used to that part of it. It's just too bad LCD technology still can't produce a picture like CRT's from way back.

3D isn't so important to me, but somebody had told me 120Hz makes your games look incredibly smooth, although I've not seen one in action my self so I don't know if that point alone is reason enough to do 120Hz over IPS, given the advantages of IPS.

Roadhog
04-20-11, 06:01 PM
I'm still using a Diamondtron CRT with it's super high contrast mode. I've never seen an LCD that can match it's contrast and colors, so I've not changed it out yet. Since I game mostly in a dark room having black that is actually black is important. Something like Metro 2033 on an LCD in a dark room looks really washed out compared to my CRT, due to the fact there is no real black.

So I guess color and contrast are the most important things for me. I know I will never get the blacks I want with an LCD, so I'll likely just have to get used to that part of it. It's just too bad LCD technology still can't produce a picture like CRT's from way back.

3D isn't so important to me, but somebody had told me 120Hz makes your games look incredibly smooth, although I've not seen one in action my self so I don't know if that point alone is reason enough to do 120Hz over IPS, given the advantages of IPS.

Lol, apparently you have never used a nice IPS panel...

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1210/displaycontrast1.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7343/39960101.jpg

Roliath
04-20-11, 06:05 PM
IPS, even though you'll probably only find eIPS panels in that price segment.

Dell 2007FP is IPS :) but its also 4:3 1600x1200 :(

I'd stay with IPS if it were my money OP.

Q
04-20-11, 06:26 PM
Dell 2007FP is IPS :) but its also 4:3 1600x1200 :(

I'd stay with IPS if it were my money OP.

Not sad if you do programming. ;)

nekrosoft13
04-20-11, 07:02 PM

then your only choice is IPS

sillyeagle
04-20-11, 10:10 PM
Lol, apparently you have never used a nice IPS panel...

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1210/displaycontrast1.jpg

Not sure what I should be looking for with the checker board pattern but I'd say the main black section to the left nicely demonstrates the difference in the shade of black between CRT and LCD. While it's only a few shades lighter, it's enough to take the black out of black making it a dark grey. When in constrast with lots of brights it's not at all noticeable, but in a really dark scene such as with Metro the lack of deep black is apparent.

Best Buy has the LG IPS back in stock so I'm going to get one before they're gone again. Thanks for the input everybody!

Roadhog
04-21-11, 02:46 AM
Yeah, you missed the point with the checker board. What it is trying to show is that on a solid black screen, the crt will have better contrast. Now, if you throw in some different colors, like lets say a picture, the blacks will be much, much worse as they get washed out. So overall an lcd is miles ahead of your beloved crt if you want to believe it or not.

Roliath
04-21-11, 02:57 AM
Not sad if you do programming. ;)

Yeah I run all 3 of mine in portrait too, they look gorgeous.

K007
04-21-11, 05:17 AM
whats ips?

sillyeagle
04-21-11, 02:24 PM
Yeah, you missed the point with the checker board. What it is trying to show is that on a solid black screen, the crt will have better contrast. Now, if you throw in some different colors, like lets say a picture, the blacks will be much, much worse as they get washed out. So overall an lcd is miles ahead of your beloved crt if you want to believe it or not.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

sillyeagle
04-21-11, 02:26 PM
whats ips?

In-plane switching (IPS)

In-plane switching was developed by Hitachi Ltd. in 1996 to improve on the poor viewing angle and the poor color reproduction of TN panels at that time.[6] Its name comes from the main difference from TN panels, that the crystal molecules move parallel to the panel plane instead of perpendicular to it. This change reduces the amount of light scattering in the matrix, which gives IPS its characteristic wide viewing angles and good color reproduction.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD#In-plane_switching_.28IPS.29

technoid
04-23-11, 03:01 AM
I've used an IPS monitor but my experience is limited to the new LG 23 inch IPS LED monitor model IPS236V. I'm one of the people that kept his CRT monitor for a long time and still feel a CRT monitor has a better display. But on to my experience with an IPS monitor. The IPS monitor I have definitely has better colors than several TN based monitors I tried out, but the blacks aren't really better to me. If they are it isn't much. If I boot my monitor in a dark room it doesn't look black to me. The CRT monitor I had before definitely had better blacks. The monitor I have uses the new cheaper eIPS panel and I understand it's not nearly as good as the more expensive IPS panels used in the 500 dollar monitors. But none the less it's what I have and that's what I think of it. Better colors, yes. Better blacks, no.

jkmetal
04-23-11, 11:28 AM

Is it? I have a crt and an ips monitor right next to each other.

The ips lcd is good, really good. When I was in school it was all i had and I didn't suffer. It does everything, I even have a vcr hooked up to it. I remember how much it kicked the crap out of the 17inch crap crt I used before.

However, I still cling to my crts. The wash out from a bright section of the screen compared to a black section is a reality. However, in practice, its rare to run across such a pattern and so much pronounced wash out. I actually notice lcd wash out much more often, especially during the night, which is when I use my crts.

Response time doesn't matter, although the lack of "blur" is nice. What I really like is scaling my crt's resolution to whatever tv show, film, or older game I'm playing. They're also great for a console like the 360.

AngelGraves13
04-25-11, 06:40 PM
IPS must be really stunning. I'm on a TN panel mainly because I want the 120hz and 3ms response time. TN panels are 6-bit with dithering, so it won't look as good as a standard 8-bit panel. It seems most panels now-a-days are 6-bit TN panels, even a lot of TVs. I can usually tell by the crappy viewing angels, but that's not important for a computer. You're usually sitting right in front of it 99% of the time.

My next monitor will also be a TN panel and 120hz until they come out with something newer like OLED panels.

mullet
04-26-11, 10:52 AM
Yeah or a plastic steel case with horrible air flow.

AngelGraves13
04-26-11, 07:38 PM
I just saw this monitor in action and will likely be getting it over the 120hz TN panel. It's only $200 more than the TN I wanted. Color is astounding on it.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=224-8284

Viral
04-26-11, 07:48 PM
That's the monitor I want too, but that price is a bit stupid. It's $799 over here and I wouldn't pay any more than that honestly. Strange, since the 30" costs more here...

AngelGraves13
04-26-11, 07:51 PM
That's the monitor I want too, but that price is a bit stupid. It's $799 over here and I wouldn't pay any more than that honestly. Strange, since the 30" costs more here...

It's 850 on amazon

AngelGraves13
04-27-11, 08:36 PM
That's the thing. Prices are a lot different here of course but the 120Hz TN panels are crazy overpriced too.

Ok, they're fast but still crappy TN products.

Yeah...it's like do I want something that's fast and decent looking or something that's normal and exceptional looking. I do use Photoshop a lot, so the Adobe RGB color space would come in handy.