PDA

View Full Version : had a question about raid arrays

wheeljack12
04-19-11, 10:16 PM
1. I am using raid 0, 64kb stripe on my lsi megaraid sas 9260-4i. What is the max stripe size that windows 7 64 bit recognizes? Because my controller can go all the way up to 1mb. But at that size, win 7 says it can't partition when installing windows.

2. What is the fastest RAID configuration, 0,1,5,6,10,50. I am not worried about losing drive space, more about speed.

Please help as I would like to take full advantage of the new controller I have.

frenchy2k1
04-20-11, 05:14 PM
Your post show you do not really understand the goal or mechanism of RAID.

RAID has 2 separate goals:
- reliability
- speed
The different RAID levels give EITHER of those those, to different degrees.

check the descriptions here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

TLDR: RAID0 is for speed and risky, RAID1 is for safety, raid5 is safety and less wasted space, raid10/01/50/05 are compound or raid0 and another level.

wheeljack12
04-20-11, 07:33 PM
thanks for the info,seriously. But I need to know the max raid 0 stripe size for ocz vertex 3 drives and/or windows 7? Because as stated earlier my hw raid controller can stripe up to 1mb stripes in raid 0. But Windows 7 won't allow partition creation (even one overall partition) at that stripe size. You see, I normally use motherboard (amd 890fx and intel ich10r) raid controllers and their max stripe size is 128kb normally. So, naturally I know from experience the higher the stripe size, the faster the raid 0 array, correct?