PDA

View Full Version : Terraria: MineCraft Adventure Game

Pages : [1] 2

six_storm
04-23-11, 10:09 AM
This looks very interesting. I read that this is a one-man Indie game. Very impressive if true.

UGo7iMUcxLc

http://terraria.org/

six_storm
04-23-11, 08:55 PM
Found quite a few "Let's Play" videos on the wiki. Turns out this game's production just started back in January! Will def follow this game's progression.

http://www.terraria.org/wiki/index.php?title=Production_Media

six_storm
05-15-11, 09:39 AM
Looks like Terraria is launching in "Alpha/Beta" status on Steam on Monday for $10. Not as excited about it like I was, but I'm still debating on getting this.

EDIT: Watched some "Let's Play" videos and got excited again. Gonna be worth the $10 for sure.

six_storm
05-16-11, 07:55 AM
Today is Terraria day. Should be showing up any time today, I've got my CC out and ready to buy.

Yaboze
05-16-11, 08:39 AM
Hey six, is this going to be $10 for a alpha? This does look really cool, but I don't want to spend money on a buggy piece of crap.

six_storm
05-16-11, 11:01 AM
Hey six, is this going to be $10 for a alpha? This does look really cool, but I don't want to spend money on a buggy piece of crap.

From what I'm reading, it will be $9.99 USD for the final game. The creators are going to be adding all kinds of goodies from now until ??? so it will be worth it for sure.

six_storm
05-16-11, 02:04 PM
It's out and awesome:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/

Yaboze
05-16-11, 02:41 PM
Talk to me, how is it? Does it run full screen? etc etc etc etc

:D

six_storm
05-16-11, 06:14 PM
Talk to me, how is it? Does it run full screen? etc etc etc etc

I have only been able to play about 30 minutes, so far and it's pretty fun. It does run full screen, graphics are smooth even on crappy GPUs.

The game does have similarities with Minecraft but I think it's a whole other game in itself. For example, you craft items, but the game does the piecing together for you. Lots of monsters in both day and night. I also noticed that it will take a little time to get use to the controls.

I'll post more later.

-=DVS=-
05-16-11, 08:39 PM
Yelp :(

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3456/captureua.jpg

six_storm
05-16-11, 10:18 PM
Yelp :(

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3456/captureua.jpg

Rut roh.

Anyone else buy this game today? It's got the top number of players on Steam today.

mojoman0
05-16-11, 11:33 PM
Yea more than cs right now. Looks neat, bet the devs are psyched

six_storm
05-17-11, 03:16 PM
I started a LAN server with my co-worker today during lunch and we got to play for a little bit. Going to pick the game back up tomorrow for lunch. :D

six_storm
05-17-11, 07:23 PM
If one thing is missing from this game, it's documentation. I would not have any freakin clue on what to do on a lot of things if I hadn't watched some LP's.

Other than that, I'm having a blast. I'd really like to setup a server and get a couple of people on it. Now it's just an adventure to find the time to play it. Being an adult sucks sometimes lol.

six_storm
05-18-11, 09:28 AM
Good review for Terraria:

http://erieentertainment.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/video-game-terraria/

LT.Schaffer
05-18-11, 11:38 AM
Well i just bought it :) since i enjoy minecraft alot.

now if i can just find time to play:(

nutcrackr
05-18-11, 07:23 PM
Well this is very popular on Steam and I never heard about it before. Where do all these people come from? I heard they have a lot more stuff than minecraft? My sister loves minecraft so I should tell her about this.

Is it only on Steam? Only on PC?

six_storm
05-18-11, 07:53 PM
Well this is very popular on Steam and I never heard about it before. Where do all these people come from? I heard they have a lot more stuff than minecraft? My sister loves minecraft so I should tell her about this.

Is it only on Steam? Only on PC?

Yes, only on Steam and PC. It is coming to iOS devices soon.

LT.Schaffer
05-19-11, 01:42 AM
Well i played it for about an hour today and i'm hooked(nana2)

Its very relaxing after a Hard work day:)

Glad i picked it up.

six_storm
05-19-11, 07:51 AM
Well i played it for about an hour today and i'm hooked(nana2)

Its very relaxing after a Hard work day:)

Glad i picked it up.

Agreed, I love playing during my lunch break and sometimes at home. Even though the slimes and zombies can be annoying sometimes, it's still an awesome game. Now just trying to find the time to play them.

Ninjaman09
05-19-11, 08:40 AM
Are they going to get rid of the Final Fantasy sprites? Seriously the characters look like palette-swapped FF characters from the SNES era.

six_storm
05-19-11, 01:51 PM
Are they going to get rid of the Final Fantasy sprites? Seriously the characters look like palette-swapped FF characters from the SNES era.

They re-did the sprites right before release. But I don't understand why everyone is making such a big stink about that. Who cares if it looks like FF sprites?

Zelda_fan
05-21-11, 04:41 PM
I'm really liking this game.

Anyone up for some multiplayer?

six_storm
05-21-11, 09:02 PM
So I cheated a little bit by using the world map viewer on Terraria forums. I was curious to see if my map had an underground jungle or dungeon; I had been to both sides of my world and couldn't find anything! I found the dungeon and got my butt handed to me by "the old man". Don't wanna ruin it for anyone playing.

This game is really fun, but it's a little frustrating at times. I've put in a lot of time into this world map and haven't got very far. Maybe it because I chose a large map lol. However, there are a lot of things I like and dislike about the game. See below:

Minecraft feel - Explore, build, craft, free-roam. Love that stuff about MC.
Simple adventure game - This game can almost be as difficult as you want it to be. The more you explore, the more difficult it gets.
Lots of potential with add-ons - The creator of the game has promised to keep adding more and more content to the game. One of the best things about indie games is that they won't charge you for stuff like this COUGH COD COUGH.

DISLIKES

Could be better with an XP system - Not Windows XP, but experience system where you level up.
Enemies - This is one of those games where the enemies will piss you off . . . and fast. Slimes and demon eyes can kiss my arse!
Spawn points - You start out at the same place, whether picking up where you left off or dying. You can't save your spot at one of your houses. Lame for large map players like me (lots of traveling).

All in all, it's a really fun game that I think is over looked by PC gamers. For $10 it's a steal. I'm still more captivated by Minecraft, still would rather have MC than Terraria if I had to choose. Grab the game from Steam before the creator jacks up the price here in the next few weeks!

Zelda_fan
05-22-11, 12:26 AM
I switched from a large map to a small map. MUCH easier. You get ore way faster. And a small map is still pretty freakin' huge.

My biggest complaint right now is there's not enough content. After 24 hours I have pretty much beat the game. I have all the NPCs. I beat all three bosses. Beat the dungeon. Have the best armor and weapons. The only thing left for me to do is pimp my house out. This game could be feakin' AMAZING if they just added in a little more content. More biomes. More NPCs. More bosses. More stuff to customize your house. More types of weapons, ore, and armor. Would be nice if there were other towns. Underwater civilizations etc.

The "old man" was the hardest fight in the game. Wasn't able to beat him until I had the best armor and weapons. And if you are getting pissed off by slimes and demon eyes.... lol... you need better gear. Once you get gold armor/weapons those guys become easy as pie... The enemies at the end game are MUCH MUCH harder.

I kind of like the "no leveling" system. Basically armor and weapons are the "leveling" in this game. Once you get the high tier armor and weapons the game becomes a cake walk. I can beat the first two bosses without even chugging a health potion.

Oh and there is a way to change the spawn point. It's actually quite easy, but I don't want to spoil it for you.