PDA

View Full Version : Wot on earf did I do?

Redeemed
04-27-11, 12:55 PM
Bought this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220055) from work yesterday for $200. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing...

See, I'm really committed to saving my $$$ so I can pay cash for a truck come year's end. However, I've been itching to have a second rig so I can start dabbling with various linux distros and server OSs. I've got tons of spare parts for an old rig... only most of what I have isn't very reliable. I was fixin to use an old Q6600+mobo+RAM I yanked from a recycled HP but figured this might be even better. Newer chipset and mobo, it is only dual core and I don't believe it has HT. But to slap a nicer mobo in there with a nicer CPU wouldn't be an expensive ordeal.

Not only that but I've several nicer cases I could put these parts it to make a rather decent system for relatively cheap.

Or maybe I could just turn around sell it as I'd get more money for it that way. :lol:

Should I keep it? Figured for $200 that was just a deal that was way too tough to pass up. What would ya'll have done? :o

Roadhog
04-27-11, 01:03 PM
I would have saved my $200 because you can do all that in a VM.

Redeemed
04-27-11, 01:09 PM
I would have saved my $200 because you can do all that in a VM.

While I know this, I know very little about VMs. I've got a rig more than capable of using VMs to dabble with this stuff, however last time I used my main rig for experimenting like this I wound up borking GRUB and thus couldn't boot to Windows. Didn't have a backup drive so when I reinstalled I lost everything. This was years ago but it left an imprint. I'd rather have a rig devoted to this so if I screw something up from my ignorance it'll have zero impact on my main rig. This is my logic at least. :)

EDIT: Or this would make for a great file server, leaving only games on my main rig. Would allow for less HDDs in my main rig, less cables/clutter- so many ways I could go with this. :lol: :)

Redeemed
04-27-11, 01:11 PM
I mean the deal is great! You saved $300. I'd sell it for $400 without using it :)

:rofl

Problem is there's no OS on it. Think I could get $400 for it?

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify- that system in the newegg link is recertified. Mine was new/retail. Shipped to the store w/o an OS. :headexplode: They were gonna' send it back to ASUS untill I offered $200 for it. :lol:

Redeemed
04-27-11, 01:14 PM
Stuff like that won't happen in a VM because it's all virtual :p

Nah, it's not ideal for a fileserver. Most of those "OEM cases" provide very little room for additional hardware and disks.

If I keep this rig, I'm not using that ASUS tower. I've got three other mid-size towers to choose from, all with plenty 3.5" cages. :)

Redeemed
04-28-11, 01:18 AM
Wound up returning it. :)

Just felt wrong- I really had no need for it. Want, yes, but no need. Now just to wait for the money to show back up in my account. :lol: :|

Slammin
04-29-11, 09:25 PM
I would have bought it from you for $300.

Redeemed
04-29-11, 09:51 PM
I would have bought it from you for $300.

Damn. :lol: :(

nekrosoft13
04-29-11, 10:31 PM
If I keep this rig, I'm not using that ASUS tower. I've got three other mid-size towers to choose from, all with plenty 3.5" cages. :)

that wouldn't work, OEM boards cases usually don't follow ATX screw locations. so most likelly board couldn't be transfered over.