PDA

View Full Version : Best gaming Memory?

Pages : [1] 2

ChiBChombo
05-02-11, 08:59 PM
Hey all,

So I successfully OC'd my 960 to 4 GHz, and it seems to be stable. It's exactly at 4008 in the Bios, but eVga E-Leet utility shows 3990 (it says 25 x 159.6 instead of 160 like on bios).

Anyways, I'm looking into buying the best 12 GB of Gaming Memory available right now? Any advice on what I should get?

Thanks!

shabby
05-02-11, 09:00 PM
Don't waste your money on fancy low timing memory, not worth it.

bob saget
05-02-11, 09:19 PM
The brands I have used are OCZ and Corsair, and stand by them. Mushkin and GSkill are also pretty well known but i have never personally used those brands.

Greedo
05-02-11, 09:45 PM
my g skill has been going strong for 2 years now. only time i've ever had an issue with memory was a stick of crucial ballistix back near the dawn of time, in 2007.

Roliath
05-02-11, 10:15 PM
my g skill has been going strong for 2 years now. only time i've ever had an issue with memory was a stick of crucial ballistix back near the dawn of time, in 2007.

I will never buy anything from crucial due to the issues I had with that ram. Crucial Ballistix, I had sooo many faulty sets.

Moshing
05-03-11, 12:10 AM
I'm quite partial to Corsair and Patriot, but have good luck with pretty much all the major brands. I've had OCZ, Mushkin, Corsair, Patriot, Crucial, Kingston, G.Skill and not had any complaints about any of them. Some have been easier then others to hit advertised speed and/or timings, but overall, my favorite is usually Corsair.

Truth be told, there really isn't a "best gaming ram". If you can find any difference between two different brands running same speed and same timings, it would be so miniscule as to be within margin of error. There's just "trust worthy" ram and "generic crap". Pick a good brand with good reviews and you generally won't go wrong. It's not like picking a CPU brand.

Pennyboy
05-03-11, 01:55 AM
I have had generic and well, it was ok for a year or two but then it died on me. After that experience I have always rocked Corsair memory. I have never had any issues with it at all, well i have had one instance where I had bluescreens after trying to add 2 extra 1 gb sticks to the 2 1gb sticks I had, which is hit or miss whether they would play nice together anyways, it was not down to the RAM being faulty. I think with RAM you buy a quality brand, after that its down to how much money you are willing to invest into the speeds and timings, you pay a premium for a high mhz low timing products but you would struggle to see a 'real' difference when gaming.

Yaboze
05-03-11, 10:19 AM
I have had bad luck with Corsair, believe it or not. I run it for 6-12 months and then start getting memory problems out of the blue when nothing changed.

Since then, I have been running GSkill and it's been holding up well.

jcrox
05-03-11, 06:36 PM
Maybe others will disagree but from my experience... the most important factor with gaming in regards to memory is to have enough. Speed seems to make little to no difference.

So far GSkill is the only brand that I've used personally or installed in other's computers that I've never had to RMA.

My wife's computer is my old E6600 and it's still got the same GSkill memory in it from day 1.

Moshing
05-03-11, 10:15 PM
the most important factor with gaming in regards to memory is to have enough. Speed seems to make little to no difference.

This right here. Well said.

Sean_W
05-05-11, 02:31 PM
So if most of you guys are saying memory makes no difference, why are you buying expensive ram?

I've never had any issues with Kinston and it's cheap.

Moshing
05-05-11, 06:28 PM
So if most of you guys are saying memory makes no difference, why are you buying expensive ram?

Who bought expensive ram? My whole 8Gb barely exceeded 100 bucks. There's nothing remotely expensive about ram unless you get silly and buy DDR3 1866 or higher.

Sean_W
05-05-11, 08:15 PM
Who bought expensive ram? My whole 8Gb barely exceeded 100 bucks. There's nothing remotely expensive about ram unless you get silly and buy DDR3 1866 or higher.

Well that's good but I've heard people paying 200 for ram but that was a while back. Ram is much cheaper now.

Madpistol
05-05-11, 10:54 PM
I've had a couple sets of G.skill go out on me. However, the one set of Corsair and one set of Patriot memory that I have are rock solid to a fault.

First choice: Corsair or Patriot
Second choice: G.Skill

BTW, G.Skill's RMA turn around time is second to none. Very very fast. Keep that in mind as well. :)

Roadhog
05-05-11, 10:57 PM
I've had a couple sets of G.skill go out on me. However, the one set of Corsair and one set of Patriot memory that I have are rock solid to a fault.

First choice: Corsair or Patriot
Second choice: G.Skill

BTW, G.Skill's RMA turn around time is second to none. Very very fast. Keep that in mind as well. :)

Yeah, I had a g.skill stick die on me.. Took them less than 3 days to get my memory back from when they got it... :|

Redeemed
05-06-11, 01:27 AM
G.Skill FTW. :)

Bah!
05-06-11, 10:56 AM

Kingston used to be cheap, but it's about the same price as everything else these days so you might as well go with a better brand.

DiscipleDOC
05-06-11, 11:07 AM
I will never buy anything from crucial due to the issues I had with that ram. Crucial Ballistix, I had sooo many faulty sets.

I bought some Crucial a while back, and I had nothing but problems with it. I've consistently bought Corsair, and I've yet to have a stick go bad on me. ;)

Greedo
05-06-11, 11:49 AM
just bought 12gb of gskill ripjaws, nubs.

$124.

period.

bob saget
05-06-11, 12:02 PM
sick..

K007
05-07-11, 03:25 AM
I got a set of corsair 8gb......

i can't say anything negative about corsair...

Logical
05-07-11, 08:44 AM
Corsair Dominator

I have had Corsair Dominator in my last 3 builds and never had that brand fail me yet...even after being overclocked.

H3avyM3tal
05-11-11, 10:59 AM
Crucial any good (ballistix and such)?

Madpistol
05-15-11, 11:47 PM
Ok, I'm going back on what I said about Corsair being a good memory company.

Out of no fault that was my own, I needed to plug in a couple 1GB DDR2 Corsair sticks. One of those sticks now refuses to post, while the other's heatspreader has come off. On top of that, not only did the heat spreader come off, but it took the memory chips along with it... yes, the chips have physically separated themselves from the stick.

Just lovely. Thanks Corsair.

mullet
05-15-11, 11:56 PM
Doesn't corsair and G-skill and most memory company's have a life time warranty? Every product you buy no matter how good it is will have failures, it's just life in the electronic world.