PDA

View Full Version : INTEL 320 SERIES 160GB

Pennyboy
05-05-11, 01:46 AM
I'm looking at getting this SSD:
INTEL 320 SERIES 160GB 3GB/S 25NM SSD

160gb would be enough for me with my 2tb WD black, of course I would love a 250gb model but this is the most I can afford and what appeals to me is it size 160gb 40gbs more than 120gb models that seem to be more common.

What do you guys think? i know there is probably faster ssd's out there but all the faster SATA 3 drives a quite a bit more expensive and with less space (120gb). I am coming from a 10,000rpm raptor so I know I willl see a big improvement.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=14811

Pennyboy
05-05-11, 05:25 AM
I can get a OCZ vertex 2 120gb on sale but if you look at all the reviews from people on newegg.com there is ALOT of people who have rated the product low because of DOA or the drive failed after only a few weeks, which is really putting me off.

grey_1
05-05-11, 06:21 AM
Have you used an SSD before Pennyboy? If not, my bet is that you wouldn't actually notice the difference benchmarks show in real world usage on the latest SSDs.

It's truly a fantastic upgrade, but in answer to your question I'm leaning towards Intel for my next SSD. I currently have a G.Skill 60Gb Phoenix that is just *fast* and a hybrid Momentus XT that actually bests the Raptor, but offers 500Gb storage as well. I paid $119 US for it.

I really think you'll be blown away by the difference.

Pennyboy
05-05-11, 09:19 PM
Have you used an SSD before Pennyboy? If not, my bet is that you wouldn't actually notice the difference benchmarks show in real world usage on the latest SSDs.

It's truly a fantastic upgrade, but in answer to your question I'm leaning towards Intel for my next SSD. I currently have a G.Skill 60Gb Phoenix that is just *fast* and a hybrid Momentus XT that actually bests the Raptor, but offers 500Gb storage as well. I paid $119 US for it.

I really think you'll be blown away by the difference.

No, I have never had an SSD on my PC, to be honest I had not even considered an SSD until two weeks ago and I saw a PC running one and I was blown away by the speed. I never looked into them because the sizes and costs so high but after seeing one running I can live with the smaller sizes because the speed was amazing!!!. I really want a 160gb because I think that would be a size I could live with for some time, but then I have a SATA 3 based board so now I am not sure if I should get a 120gb Vertex 3 or Intel 510!

Pennyboy
05-05-11, 09:21 PM
Since you already have a great, native SATA 3.0 controller, it would be a waste to just get a SATA 2.0 SSD.

I'd get a Vertex 3 120GB. Those are only a few bucks more than the older 120GB Vertex 2 here and are much faster, especially on such a great controller.

Hey slaWter, would an Intel 510 SATA3 be just as good? I can get one of those for $50 cheaper than the OCZ Vertex 3.

Madpistol
05-05-11, 09:57 PM
Hey slaWter, would an Intel 510 SATA3 be just as good? I can get one of those for $50 cheaper than the OCZ Vertex 3.

My money is on the Intel 510 at the moment. Intel has shown that their reliability is second to nobody. OCZ doesn't seem to have that level of quality control.

In short, get the Intel drive.

Pennyboy
05-06-11, 12:08 AM
My money is on the Intel 510 at the moment. Intel has shown that their reliability is second to nobody. OCZ doesn't seem to have that level of quality control.

In short, get the Intel drive.

Hey Madpistol, my mind is made up i'm going with the Intel 510. I have been reading heaps of reviews on the two drives and over at new egg the OCZ are DOA or die soon after for ALOT of people. The Intel is a bit slower but appears to be much more reliable. I am going wait a couple of weeks to save a bit more cash and go the 250gb model, with that size that will hold my OS the apps I use plus quite a few good games and my 2tb WD will hold all my music and movies etc.

mcolbourn
05-08-11, 05:47 AM
The 510 has a marvel controller yes it has Intel FW but sill I can't help but think it wont be as good as if Intel had a its own native SATA 3.0 controller. So really the 320 or the vertex 3 would be better options. If it was my choice I would go for the Vertex 3.

Rakeesh
05-08-11, 09:16 PM
http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/high_end_drives.html

Pennyboy
05-10-11, 01:29 AM
The 510 has a marvel controller yes it has Intel FW but sill I can't help but think it wont be as good as if Intel had a its own native SATA 3.0 controller. So really the 320 or the vertex 3 would be better options. If it was my choice I would go for the Vertex 3.

I have been reading a lot of reviews comparing the two drives and yes the Vertex 3 is faster but not my a huge margin and eveyone seems to think the Intel has got it over OCZ for reliability plus the other reason i'm going with the Intel 510 is its $50 cheaper.

I will read up some more tonight and I am putting my order in tomorrow. If I was to hit the buy now right this second it would be for the Intel 510 ;)

Pennyboy
05-10-11, 01:31 AM
http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/high_end_drives.html

Cheers for the link!! its a goodie. I'm looking at it right now :D

Pennyboy
05-10-11, 01:38 AM
The Intel is the 3rd fastest drive on there, that was the 120gb model but i'm going for a 250gb drive. I'm happy with that, sure its a fair bit slower according to passmark but for $50 cheaper and a more reliable drive i'll happily still go with the Intel.

Redeemed
05-10-11, 01:44 AM
I'm looking to pick up the 160GB and 120GB Intel drives through my job, should get 'em fairly cheap. You're getting the 250GB Intel drive? Didn't know Intel had a 250GB... :o Sadly, that one isn't available through work. :(

Pennyboy
05-10-11, 02:21 AM
I'm looking to pick up the 160GB and 120GB Intel drives through my job, should get 'em fairly cheap. You're getting the 250GB Intel drive? Didn't know Intel had a 250GB... :o Sadly, that one isn't available through work. :(

Hey Redeemed. Yeah i'm going for the 250Gb version as 120gb is not really enough, 160gb would probably just do it but Intel does not make a 160gb in the 510 series which is the SATA III drives.

This is the drive i'm going with, not cheap but I have been saving up for it:

INTEL 510 SERIES 250GB 2.5" SATA3 6GB/S 34NM SSD (SSDSC2MH250A2K5)

Plus after the earthquake and much of the city still off limits and winter just around the corner means more time on my PC :D