PDA

View Full Version : Another upgrade from C2Q6600 to 2500K

Gregor976
05-12-11, 03:32 PM
Threw together a sandy bridge system this morning. I changed my mobo/cpu/ram/Burner and added a 2TB Hitachi and said goodbye to PATA.. On the main system at any rate. Nothing like new hardware in the morning. No overclocking yet and I can still tell a lot of difference in several games that were cpu/memory limited in many areas.

I wasn't planning an upgrade until P68 or socket 2011 and I didn't expect that much of a difference to be honest. Going from a C2Q6600@3.6/wDDR2 PC4000 to a (stock) 2500K/wDDR3/1600.

Subjectively it doesn't feel much different than when I went from an Opteron 185 to the OC'ed C2Q6600 but that was quite an improvement. I had that C2Q as my main system for longer than any CPU I've ever owned, from mid 2007 (or whenever the good stepping came out) until today.

Liking it. :)

Stoneyguy
05-12-11, 04:00 PM
Congrats!

Intel17
05-12-11, 07:52 PM
Nice, dude!

Moshing
05-12-11, 10:53 PM
Enjoy!

Pennyboy
05-13-11, 12:46 AM
Good stuff dude, I came from a Core 2 Duo E8400 and I noticed quite a big difference, but to be honest it was hard to gauge because I also went from a GTX280 to a GTX580 when talking about gaming improvements. Encoding etc the i7 smashed my old E8400 but you would expect that the i7 is a quad core where the e8400 was a dual core CPU. Encoding times dropped by huge amounts.

The biggest single improvement I saw with my PC (apart from the videocard) was going from a WD Raptor to an SSD.

When are you going to OC that sucker? I got the K to overclock too but after some inital problems with my build I have decided not to bother now, my system is faster enough as it is, maybe I would notice it when encoding?

XDanger
05-13-11, 03:20 AM
My upgrade from Q9550 ended up costing me just 30 of new money :) (so far)
Stick that in your pipe console "PC's are more expensive" fanboy's.

Going from Q6700 to Q9550 was also more or less a straight swap.

Moshing
05-13-11, 09:39 AM
Good stuff dude, I came from a Core 2 Duo E8400 and I noticed quite a big difference, but to be honest it was hard to gauge because I also went from a GTX280 to a GTX580 when talking about gaming improvements. Encoding etc the i7 smashed my old E8400 but you would expect that the i7 is a quad core where the e8400 was a dual core CPU. Encoding times dropped by huge amounts.

The biggest single improvement I saw with my PC (apart from the videocard) was going from a WD Raptor to an SSD.

When are you going to OC that sucker? I got the K to overclock too but after some inital problems with my build I have decided not to bother now, my system is faster enough as it is, maybe I would notice it when encoding?

The only real place I notice my 5Ghz overclock is in Civilization V, and it really stands out there. There's some minor hesitations during screen scrolling when your turn ends and the AI turns begin when running my CPU at stock speed that begin become more tolerable at 4.4Ghz, and almost non-existent at 5Ghz.

I have other CPU intensive games, I just haven't been playing them since I'm over 1000 rounds into a massive Civ V map made up like Earth with all the big countries represented properly. Suffice to say there's a LOT of CPU activity between each of my rounds.

Gregor976
05-13-11, 11:05 AM
I'll mess with overclocking a bit today. I transferred the C2Q to a different case and put the stock HS on it, so I'm using my thermalright ultra-120 extreme on the 2500K.

When I first checked the temp with core temp it freaked me out because the numbers were in the Upper sixties at idle. I shut down quickly, then cleaned/buffed/(meticulously) reapplied the thermal paste and reseated the heatsink only to boot into windows and find the numbers even higher. LOL

Not until then did I notice that the readout was (to TJ. Max) and not straight temp in C. :)

The laugh was worth it. IMO

Bearclaw
05-13-11, 12:16 PM
Nice, man! Show some pics! :D

Moshing
05-13-11, 12:23 PM
LOL, that's funny! I can see it happening though. It does look a little confusing at first. Are you using RealTemp?

Gregor976
05-13-11, 01:15 PM
When I realized how it was reading I just grabbed a newer core temp and the newest RealTemp. I like RealTemp better. I hadn't used it before. Another program new to me is EASEUS Todo Backup Home 2.5. It's free for personal use.

I'm still shuffling data atm.

Gregor976
05-14-11, 10:07 AM
1st OC. I just set the ASRock Turbo OC to 4Ghz. Coming from C2Q6600 at 3.6 that 4Ghz is very satisfying. :)

http://home.roadrunner.com/~lwarner3/images/Avatar_Pics/2500%204Ghz%20Turbo.jpg

Just because it was showing below 4Ghz I bumped the base clock up to 100.1

Check out the mem temp. 74C! It's at 48C idle. The CPU is still idling at 31C-34C. Ambient is 27C.

Thoughts? My memory is GSkill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL 2x4GB. Motherboard is ASRock P67 Pro3 SE.

Moshing
05-14-11, 11:34 AM
I would get some airflow onto your ram directly. Also, Asrock is one of the brands that seems to do that weird 99.8mhz thing for the bus speed, I don't know why. They're not the only ones, but the only ones I know of not doing it are Gigabyte and Asus.

Gregor976
05-14-11, 12:26 PM
What does your ram temp get to running IntelBurnTestV2 at maximum stress/ram after a few runs? I have good air flow, but I'm looking at mounting a small fan right on the ripjaw heatsinks. They almost touch my CPU HS fan, but they're below it's flow and on the intake side obviously.

Mr_LoL
05-14-11, 07:17 PM
I would get some airflow onto your ram directly. Also, Asrock is one of the brands that seems to do that weird 99.8mhz thing for the bus speed, I don't know why. They're not the only ones, but the only ones I know of not doing it are Gigabyte and Asus.

Apparently if you disable spread spectrum, that 99.8mhz thing goes away. I don't know why but I find it annoying.

Gregor976
05-15-11, 12:41 PM
Apparently if you disable spread spectrum, that 99.8mhz thing goes away. I don't know why but I find it annoying.

Thanks much for the tip. 4Ghz on the dot. LOL

I usually disable it at the first sign of instability to see if it's a factor.

What temps are you guys getting on your DDR3 sensors? :D

With my case open and an industrial floor fan blowing into the case right now with intel burn on max stress my mem temps are (reading) 73C in Sandra and hwinfo. I had to put my case against the wall as the fan was blowing it hard enough to make it move.

The mem does not feel hot to the touch, just a little warm under full stress. I read on the gskill forum that if it the heatsinks don't feel hot to the touch they're fine.

Moshing
05-15-11, 01:07 PM
What does your ram temp get to running IntelBurnTestV2 at maximum stress/ram after a few runs? I have good air flow, but I'm looking at mounting a small fan right on the ripjaw heatsinks. They almost touch my CPU HS fan, but they're below it's flow and on the intake side obviously.

I get 60C warnings regularly on my ram, but I don't worry about it. It hits 64C at it's worst during heavy duty Civilization V late game play on a massive map with multiple AI players to fight against. It hits it's peak temperatures in between my turns when the AI is moving their units.