PDA

View Full Version : good prices on hardware 1-2 generations old?

jeffmd
05-13-11, 02:08 PM
Has anyone found any online sites with parts or barebone systems that are several years old dirt cheap? I've got a number of 3'ish year old parts I would like to use but while places like new egg give great prices on new stuff, their older stuff isn't much cheaper and it doesn't make building an older system to be worth it.

Redeemed
05-13-11, 02:13 PM
Has anyone found any online sites with parts or barebone systems that are several years old dirt cheap? I've got a number of 3'ish year old parts I would like to use but while places like new egg give great prices on new stuff, their older stuff isn't much cheaper and it doesn't make building an older system to be worth it.

I don't know of any sites... but what kind of parts are you after?

jeffmd
05-13-11, 02:23 PM
I need a mobo, a cpu like a core 2, and prolly memory. So even like old premade systems which have gotta be collecting dust somewhere would work great. ^^ I don't really want to go the used route though, namely because I should be able to find these relics holed up some place. maybe I'll just go parts hunting on ebay.

Redeemed
05-13-11, 02:38 PM
I need a mobo, a cpu like a core 2, and prolly memory. So even like old premade systems which have gotta be collecting dust somewhere would work great. ^^ I don't really want to go the used route though, namely because I should be able to find these relics holed up some place. maybe I'll just go parts hunting on ebay.

e-bay and amazon are likely your best bets. However, I do happen to have a Q6600 + mobo + 4GB of RAM I yanked from an HP. Has a pretty beefy Cooler Master HSF on it now, but I could swap that with an AC Freezer7 Pro.

I've been wanting to use it to throw together an rig for just dabbling around in things like different server OS's, linux distros, etc... just don't got the spare cash for the remaining parts.

Toying with the idea whether I want to sell it or not though... if you're interested just shoot me a PM- maybe we can work something out. :)