PDA

View Full Version : Help With Case Air Flow And Fan Placement

Sean_W
05-15-11, 05:07 PM
Hi guys,

From what I've read, the best places for the best air flow and fan placement are:

A 120mm fan at the front of the case to blow air though the case and then a 80mm fan to suck it out. Is this right, what do you recommend I use for the side to keep my GPU cooler?

On the side of my case I have a 120mm(bottom) and a 80mm(about where the CPU is) fitting. What do I put here and blowing in or out?

Madpistol
05-15-11, 05:39 PM
What case do you have?

Generally, you want cool air coming in at the front/bottom, and hot air being exhausted out the top/back. This should yield the best results.

Sean_W
05-15-11, 05:51 PM
What case do you have?

Generally, you want cool air coming in at the front/bottom, and hot air being exhausted out the top/back. This should yield the best results.

It's just a cheap case (http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&pid=3485) but I plan on getting a Coolermaster at some point.

Got a "Akasa AK-FN051 80mm Smart Fan" coming tomorrow and already fitted a 120mm fan at the front blowing in. Should I use any side fans?

Madpistol
05-15-11, 06:00 PM
For the side fans, use them to blow in. Otherwise, don't use them at all.

Sean_W
05-15-11, 06:28 PM
OK, Thanks. :)

Pennyboy
05-15-11, 08:09 PM
Hi guys,

From what I've read, the best places for the best air flow and fan placement are:

A 120mm fan at the front of the case to blow air though the case and then a 80mm fan to suck it out. Is this right, what do you recommend I use for the side to keep my GPU cooler?

On the side of my case I have a 120mm(bottom) and a 80mm(about where the CPU is) fitting. What do I put here and blowing in or out?

Hey Sean, yes as already mentioned the best fan setup is front fan intake, rear fan to exhaust air, top to blow out and side as an intake. Bottom also to an intake. Just a thought, I found the 80mm fans not to be that great unless they spun really quickly (and loud :(), they are just to small to move a sufficient amount of air, especially for todays highend parts. I had an old Cooler Master Wave Master case which I loved and I still think its one of the nicest looking cases ever made but with high end, hot computer parts the 80mm fans could not keep up. I am running a Cosmos S case now which has 1 x 120mm front intake fan, 1x120mm exhaust fan, 3 x 120mm top exhaust fans and 1 200mm intake fan and this is keeping my gear nice and cool. My 580GTX is running at between 61 - 65c when gaming, CPU is around 42c under load with a stock cooler (the CPU is not overclocked).

Sean_W
05-15-11, 08:31 PM
Hey Sean, yes as already mentioned the best fan setup is front fan intake, rear fan to exhaust air, top to blow out and side as an intake. Bottom also to an intake. Just a thought, I found the 80mm fans not to be that great unless they spun really quickly (and loud :(), they are just to small to move a sufficient amount of air, especially for todays highend parts. I had an old Cooler Master Wave Master case which I loved and I still think its one of the nicest looking cases ever made but with high end, hot computer parts the 80mm fans could not keep up. I am running a Cosmos S case now which has 1 x 120mm front intake fan, 1x120mm exhaust fan, 3 x 120mm top exhaust fans and 1 200mm intake fan and this is keeping my gear nice and cool. My 580GTX is running at between 61 - 65c when gaming, CPU is around 42c under load with a stock cooler (the CPU is not overclocked).

OK then. It sounds like I should go for a new case instead and was looking at the Coolermaster Elite 370 (http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6656), which is in my price range.

120mm fans are much quieter though I noticed. Should I invest in some better quality 120mm fans.

Pennyboy
05-15-11, 09:01 PM
OK then. It sounds like I should go for a new case instead and was looking at the Coolermaster Elite 370 (http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6656), which is in my price range.

120mm fans are much quieter though I noticed. Should I invest in some better quality 120mm fans.

Hi Sean, the Elite 370 will be a great case and has plenty of cooling bays for fans. The stock fans are probably ok to begin with, see how they go as the case only includes front and rear fans. I would just worry about putting your money into some extra fans, and replace those fans later on, if you want a better quality fan that will move more air and is quieter. As far as fans go I run Noctua's in my case, these move a good amount of air and are very very quiet, near silent in fact even at 1200rpm (there max speed). The model I use is the NF-S12B FLX and I guarantee you will like them, the build quality is the best you can buy and you could even go with the NF-P14 FLX which is the 140mm version as that case has room for 140mm fans. The Noctua's also come with a 6 year warranty but the only thing with Noctua fans is they are pretty expensive. If you cannot afford Noctua's then I have heard Scythe's are pretty good but I have not had any experience with them. The cooler master fans are ok but you will find they wear out very quickly (not stop working altogether but as the cooler master fans are sleeve bearing, they are pretty quiet to begin with but after a several months of use they start to whine and become a lot more noisy than when they were brand new).

Sean_W
05-15-11, 09:23 PM
Hi Sean, the Elite 370 will be a great case and has plenty of cooling bays for fans. The stock fans are probably ok to begin with, see how they go as the case only includes front and rear fans. I would just worry about putting your money into some extra fans, and replace those fans later on, if you want a better quality fan that will move more air and is quieter. As far as fans go I run Noctua's in my case, these move a good amount of air and are very very quiet, near silent in fact even at 1200rpm (there max speed). The model I use is the NF-S12B FLX and I guarantee you will like them, the build quality is the best you can buy and you could even go with the NF-P14 FLX which is the 140mm version as your case has room for 140mm fans. The Noctua's also come with a 6 year warranty but the only thing with Noctua fans is they are pretty expensive. If you cannot afford Noctua's then I have heard Scythe's are pretty good but I have not had any expenience with them. The cooler master fans are ok but you will find they wear out very quickly (not stop working altogether but as the cooler master fans are sleeve bearing, they are pretty quiet to begin with but after a several months of use they start to whine and become a lot more noisy than when they were brand new).

Those fans look good yeah, I might invest in such quality ones. My current 120mm fan cost 4 but the Noctua one is 17, LOL. Pay for quality that's for sure. :)

Pennyboy
05-15-11, 09:32 PM
Those fans look good yeah, I might invest in such quality ones. My current 120mm fan cost 4 but the Noctua one is 17, LOL. Pay for quality that's for sure. :)

Yeah, you wont regret it. My PC is pleasure to use when surfing the net, word processing etc before my old case fans would whine and rattle and annoy the hell out of me. I had to always listen to music lol. If you didn't want too spend to much cash at first, one side intake and 1 top exhaust Noctua's would probably be enough to be honest. The Geforce 460's don't generate anywhere near the heat the 480s do.

Sean_W
05-15-11, 09:55 PM
My 460 is noisy at full load so I want to try and keep it as cool as possible. Thanks for the tips!

Pennyboy
05-15-11, 10:08 PM
My 460 is noisy at full load so I want to try and keep it as cool as possible. Thanks for the tips!

No problems. Let me know how you get on once you get your PC up and running in your new case :D

Sean_W
05-17-11, 03:54 PM
Bought the Coolermaster Elite 370 case today. Put the Coolermaster 120mm case fan at the front blowing in. Got my Akasa 80mm fan on the back sucking air out and my cheap 120mm fan(going to get a better one) at the top above the CPU sucking air out.

Once I set it all up, I ran the Heaven Benchmark and I could hardly hear my GTX460 spin. Loving this case. :D

Pennyboy
05-18-11, 03:22 AM
Bought the Coolermaster Elite 370 case today. Put the Coolermaster 120mm case fan at the front blowing in. Got my Akasa 80mm fan on the back sucking air out and my cheap 120mm fan(going to get a better one) at the top above the CPU sucking air out.

Once I set it all up, I ran the Heaven Benchmark and I could hardly hear my GTX460 spin. Loving this case. :D

Good stuff mate, glad you are liking your case and the your GTX460 is quieter!