PDA

View Full Version : Need a new sound system.

Albo
05-15-11, 07:44 PM
I'm looking for a new sound system for my car, and I don't really want to spend a grand or something (That's like a fifth of what the car's worth). I'm hoping, to keep it as low as possible. As you might guess, I don't know much about cars, so I was hoping someone could post parts that I would need.

My car: Mitsubish Lancer 2003 ES

According to onlinecarstereo.com here are the specifics on the sound system.

Car Deck Size - DIN
Speaker Specifications
Location . . . . . . . . Size . . . Depth
Front Speaker . . . . .6.5 . . . . . .3
Front Tweeter . . . . .1 . . . . . . . 1
Rear Speaker . . . . . .6.5 . . . . . 3

I would do this on my own, but I don't want to get a bad style, or maybe company or maybe something won't fit.

All I really need is the following: iPod jack (3.5 mm jack) and for the CD player to play MP3s. And hopefully, it will sound good. ;)

Thanks guys!

Albo
05-15-11, 08:04 PM
What is your opinion on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-1300MP-Receiver-Playback-Control/dp/B003ZDO2LM/ref=zg_bs_10980601_1

Bearclaw
05-15-11, 08:08 PM
Not knowing much about speakers either - They ARE quite a few on this forum that are very knowledgable on car audio.

There is also a forum they use all the time though I forget it at the moment. Maybe someone else can post it - But that forum would be the best help.

Only thing I could say is, obviously, make sure everything matches.

Also - That head unit looks very nice. Will be exciting to see pics when it's done!

Albo
05-15-11, 08:16 PM
Not knowing much about speakers either - They ARE quite a few on this forum that are very knowledgable on car audio.

There is also a forum they use all the time though I forget it at the moment. Maybe someone else can post it - But that forum would be the best help.

Only thing I could say is, obviously, make sure everything matches.

Also - That head unit looks very nice. Will be exciting to see pics when it's done!

Yea, exactly, that's why I thought I'd ask here. Plus I saw the cars subforum, and now I have money for the first time in my life. :D

Thanks, I hope this will become a reality soon. :D

Bearclaw
05-15-11, 08:28 PM
I'm gonna try searching google and finding that audio forum - It really IS fantastic.

EDIT: Here are the posts I was thinking of...

I recommend doing a lot of reading on this forum:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/index.php

I've spent most of the past 3 days on that forum and browsing other websites trying to decide on some good speakers for my Sonata.

I decided to just forget about the rear speakers since people generally don't ride in the back of my car and when they do they don't usually like my music enough to want their own dedicated speakers and amp.

I just went with a Kicker ZX200.2 2 channel amp and a pair of Phoenix Gold DSR 65cs 6.5" components. Those speakers are getting a ton of praise these days and most people think they are by far the best sounding speakers under $300. I picked mine up on ebay a little while ago for $79.99 + $25 shipping.

Your situation is quite a bit different than mine since you have a truck, so my advice would be to post this same thread at the forum I linked to above.

Also, here are the stores I've been looking at:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/
http://www.woofersetc.com/
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/ (this is where I bought my amp... its a factory refurb but they are an authorized dealer so it has a 90 day warranty, if you refuse to use refurbs double check the item's condition before buying)

eBay is also a pretty good source but I recommend checking stores first. Most stores are going to be more professional and more reliable than eBay sellers, though it isn't guaranteed.

Crutchfield is an excellent site if you're doing a first build or you just want an easy setup. The prices tend to be significantly higher than other sites and the selection of lesser known high quality brands is non existent... but the service, free shipping and all the free installation gear and instructions is too tempting to pass up in a lot of cases.

Roadhog
05-15-11, 08:29 PM
If you're really serious about getting it done just go to a car audio shop and have it done.

Albo
05-15-11, 08:36 PM
If you're really serious about getting it done just go to a car audio shop and have it done.

Would I normally have the parts ready for them, or would they get everything? Which would you recommend?

Roadhog
05-15-11, 08:41 PM
Would I normally have the parts ready for them, or would they get everything? Which would you recommend?

Places hate you buying the parts elsewhere and having them install it. Plus, I doubt they would be any more money than online.

Redeemed
05-15-11, 08:52 PM
Go to your local bestbuy and have the GeekSquad install it. If the store near you is anything like mine, they guys there know a crap ton about car audio and the installation. :)

Roadhog
05-15-11, 08:55 PM
Go to your local bestbuy and have the GeekSquad install it. If the store near you is anything like mine, they guys there know a crap ton about car audio and the installation. :)

Actually run 100000 miles away from bestbuy when it comes to car audio/installs.

Redeemed
05-15-11, 09:07 PM
Actually run 100000 miles away from bestbuy when it comes to car audio/installs.

:lol:

I swear my store must be an anomoly from all the crap I'm hearing. :lol:

Whenever I have a beefier system put in my ride I'm getting it done at work, the guys there almost never get any complaints, always compliments, and I'll be able to use my discount. :)

Albo
05-15-11, 09:17 PM

Yea, I looked at a few reviews, and all I saw were bad reviews. Literally, 0 positive reviews for the service. I looked at over 10 at different sites. That's how many I could find.

Bearclaw
05-16-11, 08:50 PM
Ya, no offense redeemed but I wouldn't trust BB. I could see them taking good care of their own, though.

Redeemed
05-17-11, 01:53 AM
Ya, no offense redeemed but I wouldn't trust BB. I could see them taking good care of their own, though.

likely. Just I guess I don't understand all the flak they catch. Granted, my only experience with 'em is my store... and everybody here knows their stuff very well. Customer satisfaction is off the charts for our store. So maybe I'm just rediculously fortunate to work at an exceptional bestbuy. :)

Hey Albo- get a job at BBY then have 'em install it... get the parts and labor for cheap! :D

Albo
05-21-11, 10:42 AM
What would the typical price be? What should I expect (price wise) when I see them?

Parts + Labor

Bearclaw
05-21-11, 11:15 AM
What would the typical price be? What should I expect (price wise) when I see them?

Parts + Labor

Go into your nearest store and talk to someone. Pick out what you like - see what they think. They'll be able to square you away.

Bman212121
05-22-11, 10:37 AM

Believe it or not I've heard good things about our BB for car installs. I'm sure it largely depends upon the store and who they are hiring, but one of the only places I know where people had a positive experience. Other places around here just hack the install together and tend to mess up other parts of the electrical system in the process.