PDA

View Full Version : Fable 3 dev: PC piracy “less problematic than second-hand sales on the XBox”

Peoples-Agent
05-18-11, 12:38 PM
Fed up with console fanboys constantly ranting about PC piracy as an excuse for *insert random nonsense*.

Good to hear it from a developer's point of view.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/18/fable-3-dev-pc-piracy-less-problematic-than-second-hand-sales-on-the-xbox/

A Lionhead developer has voicing his thoughts on piracy, saying that he sees second hand sales on consoles as a bigger problem than piracy on PC. “There are a lot of honest people out there,” he says, “if they like your game they’ll buy it.”

Fable 3 lead combat designer Mike West made the comments to Eurogamer, saying that “piracy these days on PC is probably less problematic than second-hand sales on the Xbox.”

“I’ve been working on PC games for many years and piracy is always a problem,” he adds. “The pirates, whatever you do on whatever system, they will crack it.

mailman2
05-18-11, 01:46 PM
Smart man, about time someone with some common sense spoke. Too bad we won't see that reposted on all the gaming (console) websites. Wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of 6 million "we aren't smart enough to maintain a gaming PC" folk.

Vardant
05-18-11, 02:21 PM
Second-hand market is just another thing, that is used to force some new crap, that takes away something or limits the consumer. I wouldn't call him smart, but maybe that's just me.

mailman2
05-18-11, 03:32 PM
Second-hand market is just another thing, that is used to force some new crap, that takes away something or limits the consumer. I wouldn't call him smart, but maybe that's just me.

Smart because he doesn't just bag on all PC gamers for piracy...

de><ta
05-18-11, 06:15 PM
Is he upset that Fable 3 eats so much smeg that people refuse to even pirate it?

Cream
05-18-11, 06:37 PM
If it was that good. People wouldn't trade it in untill well after peak sales had past. Make a crap or short game people trade them in and sales are lost. Make a really crap game and I guess the game could be sold several times.

"Wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of 6 million "we aren't smart enough to maintain a gaming PC" folk.
"
Idiot.

nekrosoft13
05-18-11, 07:02 PM
with future console games (new systems) i'm sure the game will be tied to the system. this will eliminate rentals and used game sales.

ATOJAR
05-18-11, 07:23 PM
Is he upset that Fable 3 eats so much smeg that people refuse to even pirate it?

Lol.

Sean_W
05-18-11, 07:36 PM
Note that developers still avoid the question of piracy on the Xbox360. If a game sells millions on the consoles it cannot be pirated right? Doesn't matter, piracy on the console isn't a problem because games sell so well anyway.

Yaboze
05-18-11, 08:09 PM
I know of a few people with modded 360's that get .iso's of all Xbox 360 games off of Torrent sites. There are just as many console pirates. They mod the firmware in the DVD drive.

mailman2
05-18-11, 09:37 PM
I know of a few people with modded 360's that get .iso's of all Xbox 360 games off of Torrent sites. There are just as many console pirates. They mod the firmware in the DVD drive.

I know quite a few people with theirs modded. They don't have to buy anything but blank discs. When you sell 6 million copies you ignore the 1 million that were stolen apparently and keep blaming piracy on the PC platform. Mind you they never consider that they provide us with half finished ports that blow thus the reason for the lower PC sales...

Sean_W
05-18-11, 09:49 PM
Mind you they never consider that they provide us with half finished ports that blow thus the reason for the lower PC sales...

Funny enough the PC version is usually better so they could say, WTF is wrong with PC gamers?

mailman2
05-18-11, 10:16 PM
Funny enough the PC version is usually better so they could say, WTF is wrong with PC gamers?

after a few patches maybe.... not many are worth a sh!t at launch. Look at Brink, probably one of the worst launches yet. Steam UK even pulled the game completely

Sean_W
05-18-11, 10:24 PM
after a few patches maybe.... not many are worth a sh!t at launch. Look at Brink, probably one of the worst launches yet. Steam UK even pulled the game completely

Yeah, I don't see it on the front page, wow, what a clusterf*ck. And to think people though Crysis 2 was bad. :p