PDA

View Full Version : KHX1600C8D3K4/8GX worth it's Price Premium?

krokodil
05-24-11, 08:32 AM
Hi,

the subject line basically says it all.

When toying around with parts for a new build I came across the following 2 kits from Kingston:
KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX for 90 and KHX1600C8D3K4/8GX for 160.

The cheaper kit has 9-9-9-27 timings and consists of 2 modules, the expensive one has 8-8-8-24 timings and consists of 4 modules. So no way of memory expansion with the expensive kit but to throw out all modules and replace them with something else.

Basically, I have a "low latency" kit in my X58 machine and am quite satisfied with it but then I have not tried to overclock it. Should I go with the loose timings and try to speed things up myself or should I go with the tight settings and lose a way for memory expansion? If someone knowledgeable can shed some light on the matter I would appreciate it.

TIA

frenchy2k1
05-24-11, 02:21 PM
here is one of many article showing that on core iX CPU, high end memory does little effect:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-scaling-i7,2325-11.html

So, take the cheap kit, you have little to gain with the low latency kit. If you want to spend double, buy 2 of the cheap ones ;)

Dazz
05-29-11, 08:43 AM
you won't get a massive increase in performance maybe 1~2% with latency. AMD gets a bigger increase if 5~6%. Intel makes good on extra bandwith while AMD latency. However lower latency products overclock better and gives you more head room to play with.