PDA

View Full Version : well guys i finally got a card

Pages : [1] 2

db85usa
08-11-03, 07:21 AM
went to COMP USA and did a little upgrading.

spent a little over $500.

First I looked at video cards.

It came down to the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro and the GeforceFX 5200 Ultra.

The 5200 Ultra was $170 while the 9600 pro was $200. Well I also got new speakers, a new hard drive, and 3 games.

I have a p3 600mhz with 256mb pc800 (800mhz) of rdram (rambus) memory.

Oh and I also got a cool 17 inch monitor! :)

Anyway, after a lot of thinking I decided to get the Asylum GeforceFX 5200 Ultra. I have a p3 600mhz with only 256mb of memory... I don't need to blow all my money on a high end card right now... i am so happy with this card too... mohaa spearhead looks sweet and runs ok.

So I got that card, then I looked at speakers and ended up buying the Creative I-Trigue 3300 (80 watts power) 2.1 speakers for a lil bit over $100. And I'm happy with these too because they are louuudd and gives me more feel to gaming now hehe.

Anyway after that I looked at some hard drives and got a 40gig 7200 rpm for $40! a $50 mail in rebate for it!

Then I bought my dad a game he likes. I thought i'd get him the game he loved which was The Thing for the XBOX. I saw it there for $10. Then I got masters of orion 3 for him and Sim City 4 for myself.

But already, I have this geforce card and I wanna OC it!!!!

Ive seen ppl get the memory clock to 700mhz when its on 600 right now and a core clock of 325 all the way to 350 easily... will that damage my card?

Nebuchadnezzar
08-11-03, 08:16 AM
Should have gotten the 9600... but whatever.

5150 Joker
08-11-03, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Nebuchadnezzar
Should have gotten the 9600... but whatever.

Actually he should have just built a brand new system instead of buying those minor upgrades. For >$500 you could have built yourself a nice AMD barton system and still had money left over for something like a GF FX 5200 or 9600. That IMO would have been a wiser path for an upgrade rather than spend it on secondary items like speakers, games etc.

saturnotaku
08-11-03, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by 5150 Joker
Actually he should have just built a brand new system instead of buying those minor upgrades. For >$500 you could have built yourself a nice AMD barton system and still had money left over for something like a GF FX 5200 or 9600. That IMO would have been a wiser path for an upgrade rather than spend it on secondary items like speakers, games etc.

Case and point (prices taken from Newgg.com):

Barton AthlonXP 2500+ - $90
Abit NF7 - $92
Radeon 9600 Pro - $148
2x 256 mb Crucial PC2700 RAM - $122

Then you could have used that deal at CompUSA for the hard drive - $40

Total cost - $492

Obviously if you wanted to get a CD burner you'd have to add onto that, but a decent Lite-On burner runs less than $50.

NKVD
08-11-03, 09:43 AM
FX 5200 is an economic version of FX card that doesnt have much power I would say. Kinda like Geforce 4 version of MX. However, FX 5200 does have DirectX 9 support. And you also need CPU upgrade, your comp is kinda old.

azanon
08-11-03, 02:48 PM
With only a p3 600, dont bother overclocking any FX video card. Your processor is obsolete a couple times over, and you wont notice a speed difference. And I agree with the above, no one with that low end of system has any business buying a DX9 video card - get you a new system first.

Azanon

Malfunction
08-11-03, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by 5150 Joker

Ya, would have to agree here myself. No videocard is gonna make that CPU perform better in todays games or the DX9 games that are coming.

CPU/mobo and Memory would have been my upgrade path at first. Then getting a FX5200U if I wanted to save some money or a 9600Pro if I wanted to spend more. I use headphones when I game: Doesn't bug anyone else. get no distractions and if I wanted to listed on some high end speakers... I just hook it up to stereo system take it from there. :D

Oh well... there is always next time huh. ;)

Peace,

:)

GlowStick
08-11-03, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Case and point (prices taken from Newgg.com):

Barton AthlonXP 2500+ - $90
Abit NF7 - $92
Radeon 9600 Pro - $148
2x 256 mb Crucial PC2700 RAM - $122

Then you could have used that deal at CompUSA for the hard drive - $40

Total cost - $492

Obviously if you wanted to get a CD burner you'd have to add onto that, but a decent Lite-On burner runs less than $50.

Thats pritty much ture, but he probly had an old monitor.

and there is no point of haveing a good video card if your monitor sucks.

he bought a 17'' and it is probly very nice (most new ones are now adays)

i really like my monitors, and i feel they are more important than the video card imho.

jAkUp
08-11-03, 03:53 PM
yea.. he definetely should have gotten a cpu upgrade first... always upgrade the weakest component, and it makes not sense to blow $500 on a super obselete computer to play games.

yea and you dont need to overclock, you are being bottlenecked by the processor. but its your money.

CaptNKILL
08-11-03, 07:44 PM
Sorry, but I dont see the logic behind buying a new monitor, speakers and games when you are running a 600Mhz CPU and 256Mbs of RAM.

Im not sure what mobo you are using (I didnt even know P3s had RDRAM support, but I never really followed intel that closely), but I doubt you could find a faster CPU for a reasonable price. But still, you could snag a Athlon 1800+ and a mobo for around $100. Then a 9600 or a 5600 for around $130 (online). You would need ram too, but you can get 512Mb of PC-2700 or PC-2100 for under $70 (I think). Thats like $300 for a nice mid range PC.

Im not here to pick on you, im just curious... what made you buy a monitor and speakers before a new CPU\mobo???????

LycosV
08-11-03, 07:55 PM
I don't see why so many of you guys think he made a bad move. Speakers, monitor, and hard drive are all three components that can (And often are) moved between computers whenever you build/buy a new one. A good monitor is a better investment than ANY other component in/for your computer. I've used the same 20" monitor on my last 4 computers, my speakers on the last 3, and my hard drive in the last 2.

LycosV

CaptNKILL
08-11-03, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by LycosV
I don't see why so many of you guys think he made a bad move. Speakers, monitor, and hard drive are all three components that can (And often are) moved between computers whenever you build/buy a new one. A good monitor is a better investment than ANY other component in/for your computer. I've used the same 20" monitor on my last 4 computers, my speakers on the last 3, and my hard drive in the last 2.

LycosV

Ive been using my Gateway 15" monitor for more than 5 years now (5 video cards.. many mobos.... 4 cases) and its still running strong. Unless someones monitor is broken or is getting blurry\nasty looking, then I dont see how it could be more important to upgrade when you are using a 600Mhz CPU :p

And speakers? HAH! My speaker system is from 1994! Electrical tape, spliced wires, yeah, its all there and it still sounds far better than most PC speaker systems :)

Still, I guess since the stuff has already been bought, it doesnt really matter. But you said it yourself, monitor and speakers last far longer than other parts, so when your PC is outdated why upgrade those first?

VoodooNinja
08-11-03, 09:09 PM
Funny how he is happy with his purchase and yet most people just lay into him with criticism. You should have bought this or I would have done that , etc.

Maybe he had a small, older hard drive. Going to a 40gig 7200 rpm could be a big improvement for him. (Not just talking about speed, but maybe he can install all of his games and programs now) Same thing could apply for the monitor and other items. You have to start somwhere when upgrading. (May not be the best approach for some of you but going to a fast system with a Geforce FX5900 Ultra is not all that great if you still have a old <10GB ATA 33 hard drive and a 15in monitor)

Enjoy your new stuff.

yoladude
08-11-03, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by VoodooNinja
Funny how he is happy with his purchase and yet most people just lay into him with criticism. You should have bought this or I would have done that , etc.

Maybe he had a small, older hard drive. Going to a 40gig 7200 rpm could be a big improvement for him. Same thing could apply for the monitor and other items.

just put yourself in his position. i'm sorry, i can't see myself upgrading extras like monitor, speakers, etc. if i was using that comp. i was using a 233mhz imac, when i upgraded to my current comp; instead of oh, say, replacing the hard drive or ram in my imac, i bought a new system, and even though i had to use an old monitor, and bargain speakers, i was amazed at what had taken me so long to upgrade.

jAkUp
08-11-03, 09:26 PM
and you got ripped off on the 5200 ultra.. we sell it for a little over $140 at pcclub.

and we sell complete systems starting at $379 which includes a celeron 1.8, 40gb hard drive and 256 ddr333... granted its not a top of the line system, but a huge step over what you had already. to me it just makes no sense in trying to upgrade an old computer.

db85usa
08-12-03, 12:00 AM
actually, fellas there is logic.

the reason i bought all of this is because ive got an AMD ATHLON XP 2600+ with 512mb of pc2700 ram and an ASUS motherboard with 350 power supply... ive got a 430 watt with my p3 so ill switch... and an ATX case with the athlon coming in 2 weeks from CYBERPOWERPC.COM for $288.

I bought all of this stuff before I get the motherboard, case, processor, memory.

then im going to use my 40gb hd and geforce card.

CaptNKILL
08-12-03, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by db85usa

the reason i bought all of this is because ive got an AMD ATHLON XP 2600+ with 512mb of pc2700 ram and an ASUS motherboard with 350 power supply... ive got a 430 watt with my p3 so ill switch... and an ATX case with the athlon coming in 2 weeks from CYBERPOWERPC.COM for $288.

I bought all of this stuff before I get the motherboard, case, processor, memory.

lol

Nice of you to mention that :)

In that case, your video card is going to be holding back your (very nice!) new system :)

Oh well, it'l still be a great rig!

CaptNKILL
08-12-03, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by VoodooNinja

Maybe he had a small, older hard drive. Going to a 40gig 7200 rpm could be a big improvement for him. (Not just talking about speed, but maybe he can install all of his games and programs now) Same thing could apply for the monitor and other items. You have to start somwhere when upgrading. (May not be the best approach for some of you but going to a fast system with a Geforce FX5900 Ultra is not all that great if you still have a old <10GB ATA 33 hard drive and a 15in monitor)

Enjoy your new stuff.

Where did I say anything about getting a hard drive? :lol:

EMunEeE
08-12-03, 12:43 AM

What kind of logic is that...you shouldve gone with a more powerful video card for that rig.

db85usa
08-12-03, 02:20 AM
the video card i have is fine

with an amd 2800+ and more ram and this card it'd run any ****ing pc game out there right now.

db85usa
08-12-03, 02:24 AM
do you guys have a mb with amd athlon xp 2800+ with the geforcefx 5200 ultra? do you?? if not then stfu.

everytime i come to this place i get criticized... you know, maybe you guys have a p4 2.8 with 512mb of ram and a geforceFX 5900 ultra and i have ****... why do you have to criticize?

this is just temporary. yes, upgrading makes me happy because i was running a p2 400 with a 32mb video card and crappy speakers for 6 years until i upgraded a bit.

i got the mb i have now and processor and memory for free.

why not use it?

zakelwe
08-12-03, 03:05 AM
do you guys have a mb with amd athlon xp 2800+ with the geforcefx 5200 ultra? do you?? if not then stfu.

everytime i come to this place i get criticized... you know, maybe you guys have a p4 2.8 with 512mb of ram and a geforceFX 5900 ultra and i have ****... why do you have to criticize?

this is just temporary. yes, upgrading makes me happy because i was running a p2 400 with a 32mb video card and crappy speakers for 6 years until i upgraded a bit.

why not use it?

Yeah, don't let em squish you :) I have a FX 5200 ultra as well and it gives a better image than the GF4 does on 2D ( where you'll spend most of your time ) and once overclocked on gpu and memory can play current games Ok at 1024x768. You should be aiming for 350/740 or so I would suggest 24/7.

I think people forget that as long as there is an improvement you can see then that's :cool: .

Regards

Andy

CaptNKILL
08-12-03, 03:08 AM

why not use it?

Relax man, its just that most people (including myself) find it wierd that anyone buys top of the line CPU, RAM and mobo then gets a low-mid range video card for it.

And dont complain to us about being criticized, your the one who makes wierd buying decisions :lol:

BTW, check my specs. I dont have a beasty comp, but that doesnt mean I dont know what Im talking about. My 5600 isnt any faster than my (dead) Geforce 4 Ti4400 was but its faster than a 5200 Ultra. Your comp is a LOT faster than mine, it shouldnt have a slower video card. (not trying to be meen... Im just telling you how it is)

CaptNKILL
08-12-03, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by zakelwe
Yeah, don't let em squish you :) I have a FX 5200 ultra as well and it gives a better image than the GF4 does on 2D ( where you'll spend most of your time )

That kind of thing depends on the card manufacturer more than what chipset it is. ;)

zakelwe
08-12-03, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
That kind of thing depends on the card manufacturer more than what chipset it is. ;)

Same manufacturer for both, Gainward.

Regards

Andy