PDA

View Full Version : AMD launches 990FX chipset: SLI/AM3+ support

Madpistol
05-30-11, 11:18 AM
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/9-series-integrated/Pages/amd-990fx-chipset.aspx

Review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/990fx-sli-am3,2953.html

SLI natively on AMD chipsets. Finally.

Dazz
05-30-11, 06:47 PM
Shame i just placed an order for AMD Phenom II X6 Six Core 1090T, Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 4GB (2x2GB), Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H AMD for 228.22 which i think is pretty good for the price. Mind you the 880GM is grade B and was only 36 it will tie me over till the 990FX boards become available to buy, Thinking of the GA-990FXA UD3 or UD7 motherboard. Never used Gigabyte boards before so see how that goes always been ASUS.

Pennyboy
06-01-11, 11:40 PM
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/9-series-integrated/Pages/amd-990fx-chipset.aspx

Review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/990fx-sli-am3,2953.html

SLI natively on AMD chipsets. Finally.

Just read some review on the crosshair V looks very nice and awesome how you buy now use your old AMD CPU and then put in a Bulldozer when it comes out. I love it how AMD doesn't change its CPU sockets so often!

Dazz
06-02-11, 02:38 AM
That's what I am doing use the 880g wait till the 990fx comes out put the x6 in there wait for the FX chips come out replace the x6 then I'll have a media centre pc, yay with out going out and buying everything at once. With intel they treat their processors and motherboards as consumable items. Every gen you need to replace half your rig.

Pennyboy
06-02-11, 05:23 AM
That's what I am doing use the 880g wait till the 990fx comes out put the x6 in there wait for the FX chips come out replace the x6 then I'll have a media centre pc, yay with out going out and buying everything at once. With intel they treat their processors and motherboards as consumable items. Every gen you need to replace half your rig.

Yeah thats awesome, I think AMD really look after people in this respect. The 990fx boards look very nice, I love the fact that have so many SATA6 ports. My board only has 2, i'm not going to count the crappy Marvell SATA6 controller.

Dazz
06-02-11, 11:46 AM
If you check review sites AMD's Solution is reported to be on par with Intel's. Same goes for USB.

nekrosoft13
06-02-11, 11:56 AM
If you check review sites AMD's Solution is reported to be on par with Intel's. Same goes for USB.

haha!! :headexplode:

you funny

Pennyboy
06-02-11, 05:27 PM
While your at it, you shouldn't count the ports of the crappy AMD native solution as well.

Oh really, are the native AMD port not all that fast? I thought they would be similar to the native Intel SATA 3 ports???

Dazz
06-02-11, 06:25 PM
I am pretty sure the issue 'WAS' present on the SB700 chipsets but was resolved with the SB750 onward ones.

nekrosoft13
06-02-11, 08:22 PM
I am pretty sure the issue 'WAS' present on the SB700 chipsets but was resolved with the SB750 onward ones.

nope, even SB8xx still have the issues

Dazz
06-03-11, 02:36 PM
I wonder about the 990FX chip, i thought they wouldn't have a nvidia NF200 chip yet can't get over Gigabyte having 56 PCI express lanes on a single board, 2x16 + 2x8 + 2x4 let alone the ones used for the USB3.0 and SATA3.

Considering the 990FX has 48 lanes.

Lyme
06-03-11, 10:49 PM
While your at it, you shouldn't count the ports of the crappy AMD native solution as well.

The previous version wasn't soo horrible, I'm betting it's improved http://www.anandtech.com/print/2973

Lyme
06-04-11, 01:26 PM
I know that article but again, that's with 1 disk. That's not a load test for a controller.

True, but if you wanted anything other than decent i/o bandwidth x86 platforms would not be in the running.

Shamrock
06-07-11, 10:56 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21833

The official name is Scorpius. With AMD cpu/990 mobo/6000 series graphics cards.

Peoples-Agent
06-17-11, 05:21 PM
I reeeeally hope AMD get it together properly again in the future but I don't hold much hope for Bulldozer or the rest for now.

I'm an AMD fanboy at heart, feel like I am forced into buying Intel because it's the best of the bunch at it's price point.

wheeljack12
06-20-11, 02:38 PM
well, as you can see in my sig, I plunged into the 990fx chipset. I used to own the 890fx crosshair iv formula. The one thing the crosshair iv did was give me a upstream and downstream pci-e port for my gtx 590 in system properties in win 7. Don't see that present on the 990fx. Must be the native SLI on the board. Sold off the crosshair iv formula for a nice price that paid for half of the new MB. The only drawback is that my newly purchased LSI raid sata 3 controller doesn't like the gigabyte board. It will initially allow me to install windows 7 to end of copying files and restarting, but upon a restart to complete installation, all I would get is a command prompt cursor flashing on the screen. And since I want to go SLI gtx 590, I don't have any other slots that would be open to test the raid other than 8x slot at the end of the board. Weird, 1st config of a board that has 16x,4x,16x,4x,8x then a pci slot. I know it's for 3 way sli though. Slawter, way back when, you told me that AMD chipsets have bottlenecks in the sata 3 controller. You are still right about that due to the fact I am now forced to use the chipset because of incompatibilites of the lsi controller. Weird thing is that I had seen slides somewhere that showed 2gb of data bandwidth on the 900 series controllers for the sata ports. No way am I getting that speed from the native chipset. And the only thing intel has to do is make all of their sata 3 ports raid capable on the x79 along with a good cpu to match and AMD will be back behind them. Can't stand how AMD only allows 4 drives out of 6 ports to be raid capable. The one thing I liked about the crosshair iv was that ASUS added a jmicron sata 2 controller for optical drives and esata to free up ports for the 890fx controller.

Dazz
06-23-11, 06:59 AM
I can't decide which board to get, either the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 or Asus Crosshair V Formula both have their pluses and negatives.

Asus Crosshair V Formula - 8+4pin ATX12 power, GUI BIOS, XFi-2 codec, 8 PWM fan headers - heatsink looks basic and horrible, 7 internal SATA, EZ plug at the back and molex based so you have to trail cable.

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 - very nice looking board, SATA power in the right part of the board, lots of options with 6x PCI-E slots, 8 SATA ports - no GUI BIOS, only 4 PWM fan headers.

wheeljack12
07-09-11, 09:58 AM
Dazz, the "xfi 2" codec is via hd audio. I tried using it on my crosshair iv formula and it sucks. It froze Dark Void when I tried playing it on the main menu. I don't like the spacing of the crosshair iv or v formula where they stick the last two pci-e slots side by side. I would imagine the 7th internal sata is jmicron again for ODD like it was on the crosshair iv. The gigabyte which I now have in the ud7 is very nice and has realtek onboard hd audio. The nice feature about their codec is that there is dolby home theater which is the same as cmss-3d for creative in getting 2 speaker sound and emulating it to 5.1. I wouldn't worry about gui bios.

Dazz
07-11-11, 05:35 PM
I too like the arangement of the slots on the UD7 the manual indicates - 16x, 4x, 8x, 4x, 16x, PCI, 8x as i am looking into getting a 3rd party cooler for my GTX470 it will be 3 slot and would like one slot open for maybe a XFI audio card along with an other GTX470 with a triple slot cooler alittle further down the line, or maybe wait for the GTX670 etc cards to come out before doing so.

So the SupremeFX 2 is crap well that deminishs the plus for the Crosshair.

I kinda killed my Gigabyte board too, think i killed the VRM on the board damn 4+1 phase supply, lucky there is no pysical damage so will look like a defective board :D oh well might ask screw the replacement give me money off for a UD7 that has decent VRM's and 8+2 phases.

As for not being able to RAID more then 4 drives is there not an option in the BIOS to enable the last 2 as the same as the first 4 so you can RAID them if i recall my mobo had that option, it was ports 1-4 as RAID, then port 5 & 6 as IDE mode by default which needs to be changed to as ports 1-4? I think the performance from the onboard SATA as it's 4x PCI-E 2.0 (2GB/sec) but shared for 6x 6G slots (333MB/sec peak per port), however is't Intels 2x 6G and 4x 3G on a 4x PCI-E 2.0 bus. As you can see Intel can peak the 600MB/sec on the 2 SATA 6G ports which might be why they have mix 6G and 3G ports.

Q
07-11-11, 08:09 PM
Why does anyone here want to do a software / mobo Raid 5 anyways? Regardless of platform its a poor and unreliable performer. You can get away fine with R0 or R1 with onboard or even Windows raid, R5 is a completely different story. Dedicated hardware is the only choice, especially if you care about stability, data reliability, or speed.

Dazz
07-13-11, 06:25 PM
I have been follwoing the UD7 for a little while now, they are due to release a new BIOS which increases the speed throughput for SATA 6 devices.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5611.msg45587.html#msg45587

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/6008/81203423.jpg