PDA

View Full Version : SSD noob needing some advice

Pages : [1] 2

MUYA
05-31-11, 11:18 PM
Fellas and gals,

I am thinking of taking the plunge on a SSD drive. The drive I have in mind is OCZ Agility 3 120 GB model.

I know that the Agility 3 is SATA III and my motherboard is only SATA II, I figured I will not get the full Read and write performance as stated that the SSD drive can do. However, I do intend to upgrade to a Ivybridge or bulldozer within the time frame they come out and get SATA III and probably another Agility 3 120 GB model

I do however have the following questions / concerns

I would like to make this drive my boot drive with Windows and Age of Conan drive. Everything else (including my steam library) will be moved to my HDD. I will arrange that but I would like to ask if you experienced SSD owners have any tips and tools that I could use. To be more specific, I will be cloning my trimmed partition into the SSD. Which program would be the best? (free apps)

Then, I would like to ask, bout page file? Should it be kept on the SSD or HDD?

Are there any other performance tips / pitfalls / best practices that I should be aware of?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Stoneyguy
05-31-11, 11:27 PM
The only tip I can offer is to make sure you update the firmware prior to using it. It's my understanding that updating firmware erases your data on SSD drives.

AgentSmith2k
06-01-11, 07:42 AM
The only tip I can offer is to make sure you update the firmware prior to using it. It's my understanding that updating firmware erases your data on SSD drives.

Vertex and Agility drives do not have destructive data firmware updates.

Fellas and gals,

I am thinking of taking the plunge on a SSD drive. The drive I have in mind is OCZ Agility 3 120 GB model.

I know that the Agility 3 is SATA III and my motherboard is only SATA II, I figured I will not get the full Read and write performance as stated that the SSD drive can do. However, I do intend to upgrade to a Ivybridge or bulldozer within the time frame they come out and get SATA III and probably another Agility 3 120 GB model

I do however have the following questions / concerns

I would like to make this drive my boot drive with Windows and Age of Conan drive. Everything else (including my steam library) will be moved to my HDD. I will arrange that but I would like to ask if you experienced SSD owners have any tips and tools that I could use. To be more specific, I will be cloning my trimmed partition into the SSD. Which program would be the best? (free apps)

Then, I would like to ask, bout page file? Should it be kept on the SSD or HDD?

Are there any other performance tips / pitfalls / best practices that I should be aware of?

Any help is greatly appreciated
One good cloning software I know of is clonezilla. this you will have to burn to CD and run off boot. The only problem with cloning to a SSD is you may lose alignment and in effect lose performance. There is an app that can re-align but can't remember the name.

Never defrag your SSD, disable superfetch, disable indexing of the SSD.

As you have 8Gigs of ram you could disable the pagefile altogether, depending on if you use heavy imaging/video software.

Forgot to add, make sure AHCI is enabled in your BIOS, more than likely it is. You only come into problems if your cloning from IDE.

mullet
06-01-11, 08:19 AM
I have been reading some bad reviews and feedback on the OCZ drives. I am thinking about the Intel 320 for reliability, if its a little slower oh well.

MUYA
06-01-11, 08:35 AM
I have been reading some bad reviews and feedback on the OCZ drives. I am thinking about the Intel 320 for reliability, if its a little slower oh well.

between SSDs maybe a lil only but between HDD and SSD....should be light years difference

lduguay
06-01-11, 08:51 AM
between SSDs maybe a lil only but between HDD and SSD....should be light years difference

Reliability greatly differs between SSD vendors, currently the Intel drives are by far more reliable. OCZ has drives that are less reliable than some of the best HDDs...

As far as SSD vs HDD performance, SSD has the edge depending on what type of apps you are running. I run SQL databases on SSDs, and I can say that the performance difference is insane. You wont see much difference at boot, gaming, image editing, streaming video, emailing/browsing, MS Word, well, nothing mind blowing.

And that pagefile goes on you HDD.

MUYA
06-08-11, 09:07 PM
Anyone had any experience with Crucial SSDs? There is a real sweet deal well USD50 off the 256 GB version of the Crucial M4 SSD here. Was thinking I could jump on it

MUYA
06-14-11, 11:03 PM
After reading of some horror feedback from newegg and ocz forums..i am staying away from OCZ!

Hmm any thoughts on Intel 320s?

mullet
06-14-11, 11:34 PM
I would go with the Intel 320 for reliability.

Roadhog
06-14-11, 11:41 PM
After reading of some horror feedback from newegg and ocz forums..i am staying away from OCZ!

Hmm any thoughts on Intel 320s?

Did you bother to read the intel forums too?

http://communities.intel.com/community/tech/solidstate?view=all

MUYA
06-14-11, 11:45 PM
Did you bother to read the intel forums too?

http://communities.intel.com/community/tech/solidstate?view=all

U wanna spare me the agony? Anything I should know abut Intel SSDs that you know of?

Roadhog
06-14-11, 11:46 PM
U wanna spare me the agony? Anything I should know abut Intel SSDs that you know of?

you read the ocz forums and decided to base your opinion that they are crap from what other people say, so why not give intel the same treatment?

MUYA
06-15-11, 12:03 AM
you read the ocz forums and decided to base your opinion that they are crap from what other people say, so why not give intel the same treatment?

if u have got any enlightening advice...will be glad to hear some recommendations

mullet
06-15-11, 12:13 AM

Yeah I would like to know to, what did you find?

mullet
06-16-11, 03:49 PM
MUYA, I feel jipped, I thought with his infinite wisdom he would enlighten us on how bad Intel SSD's are but the more I read the more Intel is going to be my route. Good luck with your SSD venture.

Roadhog
06-16-11, 04:21 PM
MUYA, I feel jipped, I thought with his infinite wisdom he would enlighten us on how bad Intel SSD's are but the more I read the more Intel is going to be my route. Good luck with your SSD venture.

You can find an equal number of threads on each forum about people having issues with their drives. You do know what a support forum is, right? You usually use it for support if you need help or have a problem... I also think OCZ sells a lot more drives than intel too, so you will have more people to complain. I also never once said or implied that Intel drives are bad, so I don't know where you got that. lol

mullet
06-16-11, 10:16 PM
Dude there are far more recent complaints about OCZ drives then intel by far, I am not saying every drive is crap they are just having issues right now. I am sure they will get it resolved. The problem I have with you is your a total condescending asswhipe in the way you type and come off to people. The comment to MUYA was totally uncalled for, he was merely asking for help and suggestions from people here that have SSD's. If some one doesn't agree with you then don't talk down to them with comments show them the facts on why a product is good or bad. I was totally looking forward to getting a Vertex 2 drive till I started reading about DOA drives or failing after 1 week. Me personally I lean more toward reliability then speed but that's just me.

MUYA
06-16-11, 11:46 PM
Don't worry Mullet, road hog as a habit of doing this.

I finally opted for the iNtel 320 300GB!

I think fawked it up cloning the wrong partition to the SSD, so it was full of garbage when i got around to cloning the right partition!

Booted fast into win 7 evenw ith all my apps starting 20 secs or so faster but, fpr me teh reasons why bought the ssd was to do away with the insane wait times switching instances in AoC, a game I play 99% of the time! The levels loads much much faster I would say based on anecdotal evidence....loads decreased 50% or more!!!

Now I still have to implement the remaining SSD optimizations in windows 7.

Gotta make the swap file smaller or move to HDD or whatever...

any more pointers would be appreciated!!

Rummy
06-17-11, 12:02 AM
Disable defrag, move your page file, make sure you're running in AHCI mode. and there is something else but i can't remember.

Disable ready boost and indexing.

MUYA
06-17-11, 12:22 AM
Disable defrag, move your page file, make sure you're running in AHCI mode. and there is something else but i can't remember.

Disable ready boost and indexing.

Thanks for the pointers dude!

ACHI enable! - *Done!*
Disable defrag - *Done!*
Move page file - remaining
Ready boost - not sure..need to recheck!
Indexing - I think so..but need to recheck!

Rummy
06-17-11, 08:47 AM
Here's how to do the page file the others should be done in msconfig and under disk mgmt.

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/move-and-optimize-windows-vistas-paging-file/

Roadhog
06-17-11, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the pointers dude!

ACHI enable! - *Done!*
Disable defrag - *Done!*
Move page file - remaining
Ready boost - not sure..need to recheck!
Indexing - I think so..but need to recheck!

Do not move the page file off the SSD. The whole reason for an SSD is for speed, and moving the page file to slow drive makes no sense. It won't wear the SSD any faster. You can just leave a 2gb page file or something if you want, but don't move it off the SSD.

Also, glad you like zee SSD. :D

If you want to really free up some space on the SSD, and you don't use hibernation, than use this command in the command prompt to disable it. "powercfg -h off"

JaxMacFL
06-17-11, 06:55 PM
Disable prefetch too.

RaidenWoW
06-20-11, 03:36 AM
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?49779-SSD-Tweak-Utility
found this awhile ago and tried on an intel ssd

MUYA
06-20-11, 05:02 AM
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?49779-SSD-Tweak-Utility
found this awhile ago and tried on an intel ssd

Cool thanks? How was your experience with the software?

Man its light years difference in terms of speed and system responsiveness, this SSD from my old HDD.

I am glad I made the jump...as now its not as frustrating to wait for long periods loading of levels in AoC ....