PDA

View Full Version : I'm afraid to update anymore

Gator
08-11-03, 01:50 PM
I used to install every single beta detonator I could get my hands on, but now I'm still using the pre-DetonatorFX drivers, v43.45, because I'm afraid to update anymore. I keep reading rumors that since DetFX the quality has gone down dramatically, and that there are all sorts of cheating hacks in them.

I have a GF4TI, not a GFFX. So is it even worth me installing anymore detonator updates? Will I lose picture quality overall? Will I have problems running anything with the latest Detonators from this point forward?

EDIT: I should probably mention what I use my GF4TI for. I play Unreal Tournament, UT2K3, various console emulators, and AVP2. All games currently work normally. Potential interest in playing DoomIII upon release (assuming my system can handle it)

Nutty
08-11-03, 02:23 PM
I always use the latest drivers..
currently using 45.23 on my gf4, and no problems soo far..

not really bothered if 3dmark2k1 drops or gains a few hundred points.. I'm more interested in bug fixes, and features, and new OpenGL extensions (several of which should be appearing pretty soon)

Gator
08-11-03, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
I always use the latest drivers..
currently using 45.23 on my gf4, and no problems soo far..

not really bothered if 3dmark2k1 drops or gains a few hundred points.. I'm more interested in bug fixes, and features, and new OpenGL extensions (several of which should be appearing pretty soon)

ya I really don't care about 3dmark anymore, I just want the bug fixes, and smooth fps but without picture quality loss. That's what I'm afraid of... do the newer drivers have less quality picture than my current ones?

saturnotaku
08-11-03, 05:36 PM
I haven't noticed any major IQ loss on my laptop. I have the 45.23 drivers, and they run Unreal Gold and UT in OpenGL at 1280x1024 with decent quality and very good speed. This is on a GF4 440 Go, so I can imagine games would be much better on your 4 Ti.

Edit: Changed Unreal Golf to Unreal Gold. Which I am having some fun with by the way. The 3rd party OpenGL renderer I have is working absolutely flawlessly.

Shaitan
08-13-03, 02:12 PM
there used to be a time when updating was actually useful, and you could test to see which driver set worked best for you. Ya can`t these days. And, with no games coming for another 6 months the point seems moot in that area. lol

CaptNKILL
08-13-03, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Shaitan
And, with no games coming for another 6 months the point seems moot in that area. lol
Yeah, Half-Life 2, Deus Ex: Invisible War and STALKER dont count as games.... ;)

Shaitan
08-13-03, 03:10 PM
for 1, we don`t know if HL 2 won`t BE delayed, STALKER IS delayed...and Duez Ex?? Wtf cares for that game? Oops... guess you do. Like I said......

StealthHawk
08-13-03, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Gator
ya I really don't care about 3dmark anymore, I just want the bug fixes, and smooth fps but without picture quality loss. That's what I'm afraid of... do the newer drivers have less quality picture than my current ones?

I honestly wouldn't worry about cheats appearing for gf4 cards in newer drivers. Remember, NVIDIA wants to sell gfFX cards! ;)

serAph
08-13-03, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Gator
I used to install every single beta detonator I could get my hands on, but now I'm still using the pre-DetonatorFX drivers, v43.45, because I'm afraid to update anymore. I keep reading rumors that since DetFX the quality has gone down dramatically, and that there are all sorts of cheating hacks in them.

I have a GF4TI, not a GFFX. So is it even worth me installing anymore detonator updates? Will I lose picture quality overall? Will I have problems running anything with the latest Detonators from this point forward?

EDIT: I should probably mention what I use my GF4TI for. I play Unreal Tournament, UT2K3, various console emulators, and AVP2. All games currently work normally. Potential interest in playing DoomIII upon release (assuming my system can handle it)

45.23 and 45.24 seem to be more quadro optimized, yet still support the geforce line as well. The result is less corner-cutting "cheats" should you want to naievely call them that...

The Baron
08-13-03, 08:08 PM
Uh, how is reducing IQ for speed not a cheat?

serAph
08-13-03, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Uh, how is reducing IQ for speed not a cheat?

i personally would want to trade reduced ps quality for smoothness at a level thats as minimal as fp32 to 16 as was demonstrated in that other thread we posted to... Id call that "common sense"

btw: my alias (serAph) has been that since long before that retarded fight scene in Matrix2 featuring the guy in yer avatar... I was pissed when I found out they knicked my name :mad:

The Baron
08-13-03, 08:39 PM
No, it's not common sense. If it makes a difference of three pixels or so, why should it incur any performance increase if it's not doing it?

Oh, it doesn't. That's right. So, then, it has to be something else. Like the UT2003 trilinear issue!

serAph
08-13-03, 08:47 PM
the triliear issue bites hard. Its not just UT either. I saw screenies of quake 3 - high performance and quality both mipped the exact same. Its something bad, but I see that particular issue as a bug.. not a cheat...

The Baron
08-13-03, 09:59 PM
If it's application specific, it's a cheat. If it was a bug, you'd think the behavior would vary slightly between some driver revisions, but it doesn't at all.

StealthHawk
08-13-03, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by serAph
the triliear issue bites hard. Its not just UT either. I saw screenies of quake 3 - high performance and quality both mipped the exact same. Its something bad, but I see that particular issue as a bug.. not a cheat...

And you're calling other people naive?

What are these Quake3 screenies you're talking about.

serAph
08-14-03, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
And you're calling other people naive?

What are these Quake3 screenies you're talking about.
*laugh* ok whatevuh

anyway - you yourself posted replied to the quake screenies thread - the one where the guy shows that theres no difference between high performance and quality settings

StealthHawk
08-14-03, 06:18 AM
*laugh* ok whatevuh

anyway - you yourself posted replied to the quake screenies thread - the one where the guy shows that theres no difference between high performance and quality settings

First of all, there was a big difference between the Quake3 screenshots.

You are probably referring to the UT2003 shots. As I said in that thread, I am pretty sure that the issue never affected the gf4. It has been proven that the issue still exists already on gfFX cards(see that thread).

serAph
08-14-03, 10:57 AM
there was? I honestly saw the same terrible mipping on both screenshots with VERY little difference between them.

So tell me, is it even worth turning my Intellisample to Quality and cranking up my Aniso yet? Is there a difference?!

StealthHawk
08-14-03, 09:54 PM
So tell me, is it even worth turning my Intellisample to Quality and cranking up my Aniso yet? Is there a difference?!

What card do you have. I recommend Quality for gfFX users, otherwise you get bilinear. For gf3/4 owners it shouldn't much matter. High Performance is not going to be much faster than Quality, and the image will be very close.

serAph
08-15-03, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
What card do you have. I recommend Quality for gfFX users, otherwise you get bilinear. For gf3/4 owners it shouldn't much matter. High Performance is not going to be much faster than Quality, and the image will be very close.

5900 Ultra...

ya know - Im honestly starting to think i may just put up with all the crappy little quirks that Id get from owning an ATi card just for the better quality a 9800 could give me. I may swap and get some sort of aftermarket cooler for the 9800 and overclock it to make up for the fillrate/bandwidth loss...

kruiser
08-15-03, 10:28 AM
i wasn't able to find an opengl renderer for unreal when i looked a few months ago. i'd certainly like to play it again now that i have a gf4.

phial
08-16-03, 12:25 AM
45.23 and 45.24 seem to be more quadro optimized, yet still support the geforce line as well. The result is less corner-cutting "cheats" should you want to naievely call them that...

sorry, but just about every person BUT you thnks differently

i dont settle for less than the highes picture quality my card can do. i mean whats the point of having a new graphics card and setting it low? why dont you go and buy a GF3 and set everything lowest?

youd save money, and still get the same frames.

your wrong dood. simple as that!

phial
08-16-03, 12:25 AM
damn my post is kkinda jumbled up lol... just woke up

ringu61
08-16-03, 05:18 PM
The cheating thing was affecting da FX family, and only affect FX series not da GF4 Family~ :)
I am using the latest official driver now 45.23 , Dun see anything weird but the Ainsto Filtering doesn't work on UT2003 now :confused:
The DetonatorFX 44.03 worked on UT2003 but something wrong with da 45.23 driver :confused: and confused again... hope they fix it when the next driver comes out.

PS: Dun see any cheating anymore on new drivers.

Gator
08-29-03, 12:52 PM
I let this post accumulate some posts for awhile. I guess bottem line is that as a GF4TI owner I have nothing to worry about and should download the latest detonators without concern.

Thanks for the feedback all :)