PDA

View Full Version : Got my wife an iPhone 4

Pages : [1] 2

six_storm
06-01-11, 03:46 PM
And I'm extremely jealous. I didn't realize how awesome this phone was until I got to set it up for her earlier this afternoon and got to mess around with it. I know that most of you guys hate Apple and the iPhone, but I honestly think it's a darn awesome phone. Hardware is solid and comfortable. The software runs incredibly fast and smooth no matter what you are doing.

I know, I know . . . "No widgets, no customization, no real multi-tasking . . . " But honestly, after having an OG Droid 1 for over a year, rooting it and constantly trying to get it to run it's best, I'm getting real sick and tired of having to mess with it. I'd almost rather have a phone that I can set and forget.

My upgrade date is in December (I let my wife have mine today) so you can bet that I'll be eyeing the iPhone 4, maybe even the iPhone 5 if it's out by then.

Maverick123w
06-01-11, 03:54 PM
And I'm extremely jealous. I didn't realize how awesome this phone was until I got to set it up for her earlier this afternoon and got to mess around with it. I know that most of you guys hate Apple and the iPhone, but I honestly think it's a darn awesome phone. Hardware is solid and comfortable. The software runs incredibly fast and smooth no matter what you are doing.

I know, I know . . . "No widgets, no customization, no real multi-tasking . . . " But honestly, after having an OG Droid 1 for over a year, rooting it and constantly trying to get it to run it's best, I'm getting real sick and tired of having to mess with it. I'd almost rather have a phone that I can set and forget.

My upgrade date is in December (I let my wife have mine today) so you can bet that I'll be eyeing the iPhone 4, maybe even the iPhone 5 if it's out by then.

I sold my Droid X and bought my wife an iPhone 4 a couple of months ago myself. For the first few weeks I really enjoyed it, but I've soured on the platform since. There are so many things about iOS that it gets right, but the things it gets wrong it gets really wrong.

I hate the notification system, to change any setting on the phone seems to take going through too many menus, like turning on wifi and picking a network when Android just notifies you in the notification bar.

I also don't like not having an app drawer and how it defaults to annoying the piss out of you whenever you're near a wifi network.

Amazing hardware however, but I don't like the feel in my hand. I think the last iteration was significantly more comfortable to hold.

ViN86
06-01-11, 04:26 PM
Jailbreak the phone and use SBSettings. It eliminates the 100 menus you have to navigate to complete simple tasks like turning on the wireless.

I just got an ipod 4g and it has the A4 and a retina display as well (although it's not an IPS panel like the iPhone 4) and I really like it. But as was said, the notifications and lack of widgets eliminate the iPhone 4 as an option for me.

Runningman
06-01-11, 04:27 PM
I hate the notification system, to change any setting on the phone seems to take going through too many menus, like turning on wifi and picking a network when Android just notifies you in the notification bar.

I also don't like not having an app drawer and how it defaults to annoying the piss out of you whenever you're near a wifi network.

Thats why so many people, including myself, Jailbreak the phones. Ive installed something called sbssettings which addresses these issues. look at what Vin86 has posted about it, pretty much sums it up.
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2439363#post2439363

I agree with your observation, that out of the box, the phone is really hard to work with, with regards to how deep you have togo in the menu system.

six_storm
06-01-11, 04:47 PM
Jailbreak the phone and use SBSettings. It eliminates the 100 menus you have to navigate to complete simple tasks like turning on the wireless.

I just got an ipod 4g and it has the A4 and a retina display as well (although it's not an IPS panel like the iPhone 4) and I really like it. But as was said, the notifications and lack of widgets eliminate the iPhone 4 as an option for me.

I won't be touching my wife's phone as far as jailbreaking. There's no need to as it's perfect for her. She's been sitting here telling me how much better her iPhone is compared to her OG Droid lol.

Thats why so many people, including myself, Jailbreak the phones. Ive installed something called sbssettings which addresses these issues. look at what Vin86 has posted about it, pretty much sums it up.

I agree with your observation, that out of the box, the phone is really hard to work with, with regards to how deep you have togo in the menu system.

Hard to work with? I don't understand. I never really ran widgets on my Android as it slows it down IMO so I'm used to going into Settings and turning Wifi on from there. Same steps are applied when using an iPhone. Easy.

As for notifications, I can see that. But it's not as gut wrenching as everyone puts it out to be. My wife already used the Android app "SMS Popup" and the iPhone does the exact same thing out of the box.

Just for the fact that phone responds when you tap on something, I'll trade the notification system in for that any day of the week. Poor OG Droid is getting bashed today.

Maverick123w
06-01-11, 05:08 PM

I've done the rooting thing before and sometimes I just feel like it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm interested in seeing what they have in store for iOS 5. iOS seems to be getting long in the tooth imo.

Runningman
06-01-11, 05:22 PM
I won't be touching my wife's phone as far as jailbreaking. There's no need to as it's perfect for her. She's been sitting here telling me how much better her iPhone is compared to her OG Droid lol.

Hard to work with? I don't understand. I never really ran widgets on my Android as it slows it down IMO so I'm used to going into Settings and turning Wifi on from there. Same steps are applied when using an iPhone. Easy.

More like a PITA, to keep going back into the menu system to turn stuff on and off. You will see what I mean once you have SBS installed. Once swipe and a click, your done.

Runningman
06-01-11, 05:24 PM
I've done the rooting thing before and sometimes I just feel like it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm interested in seeing what they have in store for iOS 5. iOS seems to be getting long in the tooth imo.
It's only ever taken me 5 minutes to jailbreak my phone, I don't know the process on Android, if thats what your referring to when you say "rooting".

Airbrushkid
06-01-11, 05:31 PM
I love mine. I don't need to go in every second and turn things on and off like some of you. Won't jailbreak it. Been there and done that with my 3G and it was just a waste to me. Battery life suck when jailbroke. The phone does what it was suppose to do and I'm happy with it.

Airbrushkid
06-01-11, 05:34 PM
As for the Android phones. I don't see why you need to jailbreak them the way the Android people act.

mojoman0
06-01-11, 05:46 PM
iphone 5 likely out by september or so, little late on their yearly releases. however, theres a big revamp coming to iOS so widgets may be in your near future

ViN86
06-01-11, 09:51 PM
It's only ever taken me 5 minutes to jailbreak my phone, I don't know the process on Android, if thats what your referring to when you say "rooting".

Took me about 2 minutes to root my Droid X.

As for the Android phones. I don't see why you need to jailbreak them the way the Android people act.

Rooted permissions let you do things you can't normally. For example, Titanium backup requires root and can backup any app and its settings. So if I update my phone or wipe it, I can recover the app and all the settings I entered. WiFi Tether requires root as well. It turns my Droid X into a wireless hotspot with WPA2 security that multiple people can connect to. And, I don't have to pay a dime extra for tethering. That's what rooting can do.

six_storm
06-01-11, 10:20 PM

This. I've tried about every ROM and kernel possible but they all pretty much do the same thing; there is rarely any real benefit on one over the other. Same thing for jailbreaking. I did it on my older iPod Touch and it really didn't do anything a stock iPod Touch couldn't really do. When I get my iPhone, I won't jailbreak it unless there is a good reason to.

arioch21
06-01-11, 10:26 PM
I love my iphone 4, I just like how well optimized everything is and the apps. I do miss certain things from android mostly the notifications system, sometimes I miss the widgets. I dont miss trying different roots and optimizing the phone, can be fun to customize the phone and make it personal but sometimes I just want my stuff to work well and go I get lazy :p. My co-workers have androids and they love it but they hate the battery life, they have spent so much on trying different batteries and extended battery cases which is a put off to try the current android phones tho the galaxy s2 is a sexy beast and im tempted to check it out on next upgrade but it depends on what ios5 brings.

ViN86
06-02-11, 09:19 AM
This. I've tried about every ROM and kernel possible but they all pretty much do the same thing; there is rarely any real benefit on one over the other. Same thing for jailbreaking. I did it on my older iPod Touch and it really didn't do anything a stock iPod Touch couldn't really do. When I get my iPhone, I won't jailbreak it unless there is a good reason to.

Then you didn't explore the capabilities. I refuse to use an non-jailbroken device. That's actually why my old iPod was still running iOS4.1. I didn't update to 4.3.3 until I knew there was an untethered jailbreak available.

I can use SSH, VNC, terminal, and more on my device. It can also run Python. I can login and transfer files to it remotely then retrieve them later. Jailbreaking turns the device into essentially a linux machine in your palm.

six_storm
06-02-11, 09:58 AM
Then you didn't explore the capabilities. I refuse to use an non-jailbroken device. That's actually why my old iPod was still running iOS4.1. I didn't update to 4.3.3 until I knew there was an untethered jailbreak available.

I can use SSH, VNC, terminal, and more on my device. It can also run Python. I can login and transfer files to it remotely then retrieve them later. Jailbreaking turns the device into essentially a linux machine in your palm.

For me, I wouldn't have any need to do any of that stuff on my iPod/iPhone. I'm kinda getting tired of the "tinkering" with my electronics and would just rather them work right. Rooting my android device did fix some things but it's not worth testing hundreds of ROMs and Kernels for it. Rooting and applying one custom ROM is enough IMO. But again, this is just me.

Bearclaw
06-02-11, 10:39 AM
Ya, depends who you are. Personally, for me I love the iPhone because it just works out of the box. I don't want to load different ROMs, etc.

DiscipleDOC
06-02-11, 10:43 AM
Ya, depends who you are. Personally, for me I love the iPhone because it just works out of the box. I don't want to load different ROMs, etc.

That's why I love the android. I get the choice of how I want to personalize my phone. I had an iPhone, and I was happy to move to the android.

Bearclaw
06-02-11, 11:05 AM
That's why I love the android. I get the choice of how I want to personalize my phone. I had an iPhone, and I was happy to move to the android.

Exactly. Some want the ability to customize. Some just want ease of use :)

Shamrock
06-02-11, 09:24 PM
For me, I wouldn't have any need to do any of that stuff on my iPod/iPhone. I'm kinda getting tired of the "tinkering" with my electronics and would just rather them work right. Rooting my android device did fix some things but it's not worth testing hundreds of ROMs and Kernels for it. Rooting and applying one custom ROM is enough IMO. But again, this is just me.

If you wouldn't tinker, and try every ROM available to man, it WOULD work right. My EVO 4G just "works". Why? It's still stock.

Maverick123w
06-03-11, 03:07 PM

I just hate how Android runs like crap. Sure My Droid X loaded a webpage 3 seconds faster than my wife's iphone but it certainly wasn't as smooth and would hitch constantly.

Once I rooted it and loaded a rom it got better, but I honestly don't want to deal with that. It's not my gaming computer that I love to screw with, my phone is a necessity and I need it to just work.

I'm considering an iPhone, along with Win Phone 7 especially if iOS 5 brings about the needed changes.

six_storm
06-03-11, 05:11 PM
If you wouldn't tinker, and try every ROM available to man, it WOULD work right. My EVO 4G just "works". Why? It's still stock.

Haha, a stock Motorola Droid with Froyo is a paperweight at best. I remember upgrading to Froyo and about gave up on Android all together; it was SO slow and clunky. With a custom Froyo ROM, it's much better but still no where near as smooth as an iPhone 4. Heck, tons of people I work with have Evo 4Gs and they are ok as stock. Battery life is horrible so they have to keep them plugged up constantly. No thanks.

six_storm
06-03-11, 05:14 PM
I just hate how Android runs like crap. Sure My Droid X loaded a webpage 3 seconds faster than my wife's iphone but it certainly wasn't as smooth and would hitch constantly.

Once I rooted it and loaded a rom it got better, but I honestly don't want to deal with that. It's not my gaming computer that I love to screw with, my phone is a necessity and I need it to just work.

I'm considering an iPhone, along with Win Phone 7 especially if iOS 5 brings about the needed changes.

This. I hate my phone just not working like I know it should. Battery life gets worse every month and it's just not smooth. I'm constantly having to check memory usage, manually close apps, etc. I shouldn't have to do that with my phone! The phone should give me a good, stable, smooth experience out of the box. I just want it to work. Hence, I'm getting an iPhone in 6 months. I know that it's a smooth OS, great hardware and IMO the best app store available. Android's app store? Pssh. I'm not a fan anymore.

zoomy942
06-03-11, 05:46 PM
I may get an iPhone or Windows phone. Who knows. My D1 is fine for now and i'm too frugal/lazy/uninterested in anything else right now. Then again, yours is busted anyway!

zoomy942
06-03-11, 05:47 PM
Exactly. Some want the ability to customize. Some just want ease of use :)

and us in the third group want a hardware keyboard :)