View Full Version : Windows 8 User Interface Demo

Pages : [1] 2

mojoman0
06-01-11, 06:40 PM
cool

tDy-7IZBojo&feature=player_embedded

Sean_W
06-01-11, 08:24 PM
So in other words it's a small screen interface for the desktop for them to grow in that sector. Touch screens are not big in the PC market, so why even bother thinking this will be normal in a year?

shabby
06-01-11, 09:17 PM
Seems nice for a tablet os, but no way im going to lean forward and use my finger to do **** like that on my monitor though.
Have a feeling you'll be able to switch between a regular desktop view and tablet view on the fly with this version, meaning one os to rule the desktop and tablet space.

six_storm
06-02-11, 07:57 AM
So is Windows 8 officially a tablet OS? I'm not a huge fan of the design TBH.

FlakMagnet
06-02-11, 08:59 AM
Really don't like the whole 'mobile computing interface' for the desktop either. But there is a 'Windows 7 Desktop' panel you can switch to to run all your standard Windows apps. It would only be new apps. that could take advantage of the new interface.

You can use it with mouse as well, so touch is not a requirement.

Don't like it. Hope you can turn it all off leaving me with a Windows 7 Desktop.

bacon12
06-02-11, 09:05 AM
I'm a huge Apple fanboy but I really hate this trend Apple started.
And in typical MS fashion, they're coping the hell out of everything, in this case from Apple and RIM.

I really don't want fullscreen apps and menus on my computers at home or at work! Those aren't single screen setups, those aren't touch systems, those aren't used for casual tasks.

Hopefully all those new interfaces from the mobile sector don't ruin or even remove the classic computer interface! So far they're only there as an additional layer but what if this, in addition to that other horrible trend - cloud computing, takes over? :(

What! There is nothing copied in that interface. It is fresh and original, and the best touch one to date. iOS and Android will look antiquated.

Also desktop windows 8 with mouse and keyboard will look and act pretty much like windows seven.

MS is serious about the mobile space, and is not getting left behind. They will be the industry leader just like they always have been.

DiscipleDOC
06-02-11, 09:42 AM
Windows 8 is still in pre-beta stage. I'll hold my opinion of it until it goes beyond beta.

nekrosoft13
06-02-11, 10:54 AM
Windows 8 is still in pre-beta stage. I'll hold my opinion of it until it goes beyond beta.

once it goes beyond beta, then interface won't change anymore.

people need to speak out now, before design becomes final, others wise everyone will be stuck with stupid mobile interface on desktop PCs.

Bearclaw
06-02-11, 11:04 AM
Looks FANTASTIC for mobile/tablet OS. Looks terrible for desktop/PC OS.

mojoman0
06-02-11, 11:23 AM
They already showed you can have the same windows 7 interface guys. This is just an optional interface on a desktop so you can have all the things the mobile platform has like apps and such

mojoman0
06-02-11, 01:52 PM
yea after moving back home for a bit and observing how my parents use computers its made me realize how much bs goes on in daily computing tho. A few things i have noticed:

The start menu is seriously outdated and maybe unnecessary for many common users or those who just need to launch applications or browse the web. My dad drags every internet link onto his desktop as its own icon!

Having to search 40 different places for 1 document because you accidently saved it in the wrong place or clicked save while reading an attachment in outlook is total bs. Files should be easily associable and found within the application they pertain to.

Application directories and subsystems should never be seen by the common user, only those of us who like to tamper and tweak.

Basically theres just too much crap to go wrong for the common user, even tho kids having grown up in this era will ultimately be the common user, it just irks me to see how difficult something can be to use for non pc enthusiasts, and these stripped down, what you see is what you get interfaces are really what they need. Just make sure they leave in God mode for us :)

It actually reminds me a lot of Omnimo for rainmeter
http://fediafedia.deviantart.com/art/Omnimo-3-1-for-Rainmeter-158707137

nekrosoft13
06-02-11, 07:18 PM

would be hilarious if MS would gain mobile market and then loose majority of desktop market.

six_storm
06-02-11, 07:22 PM
yea after moving back home for a bit and observing how my parents use computers its made me realize how much bs goes on in daily computing tho. A few things i have noticed:

The start menu is seriously outdated and maybe unnecessary for many common users or those who just need to launch applications or browse the web. My dad drags every internet link onto his desktop as its own icon!

Having to search 40 different places for 1 document because you accidently saved it in the wrong place or clicked save while reading an attachment in outlook is total bs. Files should be easily associable and found within the application they pertain to.

Application directories and subsystems should never be seen by the common user, only those of us who like to tamper and tweak.

Basically theres just too much crap to go wrong for the common user, even tho kids having grown up in this era will ultimately be the common user, it just irks me to see how difficult something can be to use for non pc enthusiasts, and these stripped down, what you see is what you get interfaces are really what they need. Just make sure they leave in God mode for us :)

It actually reminds me a lot of Omnimo for rainmeter
http://fediafedia.deviantart.com/art/Omnimo-3-1-for-Rainmeter-158707137

This. I think that companies like Apple and MS are going to start making their OS's more like a tablet experience: simple, yet powerful. And I agree. After dealing with business users all day long on a mix of WinXP, WinVista, Win7 and OS X, all they "need" is Internet Access, Documents and Email. Why wouldn't you make your OS to focus on those important tasks? Luckily Win7 and OS X have very powerful search abilities to find stuff fast. But in order for these features to be used properly, users will have to be "pushed" in the right direction and learn these new "ways". Good luck with that lol. ;)

I just hope they don't ignore us IT power users and leave in God mode. :D

six_storm
06-02-11, 07:23 PM
would be hilarious if MS would gain mobile market and then loose majority of desktop market.

Isn't that the goal of all of these companies? Aren't mobile devices taking over desktops/laptops anyway?

mullet
06-02-11, 11:28 PM
Looks stupid. I am so sick of hearing the word apps.

Yaboze
06-03-11, 09:38 AM
Not sure how that will work on the desktop in the corporate world.

XDanger
06-03-11, 11:01 AM
Seems nice for a tablet os, but no way im going to lean forward and use my finger to do **** like that on my monitor though.

Kinect.

nekrosoft13
06-03-11, 11:21 AM
Isn't that the goal of all of these companies? Aren't mobile devices taking over desktops/laptops anyway?

nope, mobile market is growing, but not taking over.

MS biggest revenue stream is corporations, and they won't be switching employees to some stupid "metro" interface tablet.

DiscipleDOC
06-03-11, 11:31 AM
nope, mobile market is growing, but not taking over.

MS biggest revenue stream is corporations, and they won't be switching employees to some stupid "gay" interface tablet.

fizt

nekrosoft13
06-03-11, 12:01 PM
called it "metro" because its the same stupid interface from windows phone 7, and metro is the codename for it.

probably by windows 9 they will get it right.

bacon12
06-03-11, 07:24 PM
Why do people keep posting like that is gonna be the only version of windows 8 that ships? FFS do you really think MS is gonna pitch that to the corporate world?

Come on guys. The nerd rage was laughable over at [H] in this thread.

Windows 7 is damn near a perfect desktop os as it is, and I honestly don't see anything groundbreaking coming with 8.

mojoman0
06-04-11, 12:21 AM
windows 8 is about the convergence of the mobile market into the desktop market. OS X is doing the same thing. People spend an incredible amount of time on their mobile devices these days and having the productivity and experiences of each device exist their own domains is a waste of potential. Hence the cloud. With similar apps and UI's between platforms, the desktop and mobile device can seamlessly integrate and synchronize with each other.

The whole point I believe is akin to closing a book on one device and being able to open up on the correct page on the other device, but with every app from news readers to excel, to paint and beyond.

FearMeAll
06-04-11, 06:31 AM
I loooooooooooove windows 7. It's going to be really hard to convince me to leave. (I even still like windows XP) This video did not convince me. But for others in my family, they'll love it's n00b style interface. It looks kinda like windows media center with Windows 7 under it. The real file managing interface looks exactly like windows 7(with less screen space..sigh) and that would be the only one I would use. The "multitasking" of full screen applications is a joke at least to me. They got the OS right finally with windows 7 so it's really hard to improve on it without breaking what people love about it.

However for HTPCs I really want to run this OS. I only use xbmc for video, music, etc..but maybe this could have a really cool game launching interface. If it doesn't, not interested. I also hope we are allowed to customize the tiles to launch the "apps". ugh... Windows media center doesn't give you any control of this stuff without going behind its back, and I've got a feeling they'll close up this interface just as much if not more.

Windows 7 + Objectdock plus FTW. I pretty much use objectdock for all my "apps". (I can't help but put that in quotations because I have never called my applications that..non mobile user here)

mojoman0
06-04-11, 01:27 PM
You can use Win 8 just like Win 7. The desktop and everything from what we have seen is still there. This other UI is just an additional layer that can be ignored if you dont have a use for it.

XDanger
06-05-11, 05:21 AM
If they can improve the voice recognition and use 3D with it and the Kinect it will be all futuristic like a mofo.