PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Photos From A Bad DVD+R

musman
06-08-11, 04:37 PM
Hello,

I have some important photos on a DVD+R that is not reading in my computer. When I try to rip, copy, open...ect the disc just freezes up. Any software suggestions? Thank You much!

Hogrider
06-08-11, 09:00 PM
Ask Mr. Weiner I heard he was trying to recover some photos, maybe he can help.

grey_1
06-08-11, 10:06 PM
Is it the same drive you burned the disc on? Try another pc. If that doesn't work, funny as it sounds, I've seen the local CVS' photo shop pull photos from some pretty old media before.

musman
06-09-11, 08:20 AM
No it's a different drive, the one I used is long gone. I will try the PC at work today. That don't supprise me the stuff at CVS works well. Thank you grey_1, your always a good help!

grey_1
06-09-11, 09:10 AM
No it's a different drive, the one I used is long gone. I will try the PC at work today. That don't supprise me the stuff at CVS works well. Thank you grey_1, your always a good help!

Yw musman - I have tons of photos it would kill us to lose too. hope something works for ya buddy. :)

nekrosoft13
06-09-11, 11:11 AM
was it burn on lite-on? some older lite-on burners didn't close out sessions correctly which prevented some other drivers to read them correctly.

tool like ISO buster often can read disc that drive can detect but can't read.

if the disc is warped, slight crack towards the center ring or discoloration on the burn surface (rot) then you might not be able to recover it.

good luck

I keep all my pictures on 4 different HDDs in 4 different locations. my pictures are probably the most important data, so i try to keep them safe.

musman
06-09-11, 02:24 PM
Yea this is not good! The PC at work will not read them either.

nekrosoft13, I think it may have been a Lite-on, not 100% sure. I will try ISO Buster, thank you much!

musman
06-09-11, 02:51 PM
No luck with ISO Buster. It's my own fault for relying on optical discs only, live and learn.

frenchy2k1
06-09-11, 03:51 PM
online backup.
The one solution I would recommend.

Here are a few to get you started:
Mozy, carbonite, backblaze...

musman
06-09-11, 04:53 PM
Thank you frenchy2k1!

nekrosoft13
06-09-11, 05:02 PM
online backup.
The one solution I would recommend.

Here are a few to get you started:
Mozy, carbonite, backblaze...

200gb of picture files ;), JPG and RAW files take a lot of space.

plus I would never trust a cloud like service to keep my files secure, you never know in what hands it might end up.

Like i said I have my pictures in four places, on 4 seperate hdds, its unlikelly for all 4 hdds to die at the same time.

nekrosoft13
06-09-11, 05:04 PM
No luck with ISO Buster. It's my own fault for relying on optical discs only, live and learn.

sometimes you can rely on optical media, but don't use it as your only backup.

Lite-ons are some of the least reliable drives, also Matsu****a (Panasonic) drives that come in OEM systems are crappy as well.

musman
06-10-11, 11:39 AM
sometimes you can rely on optical media, but don't use it as your only backup.

Lite-ons are some of the least reliable drives, also Matsu****a (Panasonic) drives that come in OEM systems are crappy as well.

Yea, that was stupid of me. The ones I could get I have put on some good JVC discs and also a extra hardrive. Thanks for everyone's help!

frenchy2k1
06-10-11, 12:57 PM

plus I would never trust a cloud like service to keep my files secure, you never know in what hands it might end up.

Like i said I have my pictures in four places, on 4 seperate hdds, its unlikelly for all 4 hdds to die at the same time.

I use Fabrik Backup (one more to add to that post. I just forgot their name at the time) and I have 350GB backed- up with them. $5/month, unlimited space. Limited by your transmission speed and the time you have...
Files are all encrypted before transmission. If you are really paranoid, you can provide your own key (instead of letting them generate one). Downside is that if you lose your key, no-one else can decrypt your files...

I'd say cloud backup service are A-OK already and probably safer than storing files on your own PC. As I RAID/backup locally too, I have never had to recover yet... I take it as an insurance on my data.

nekrosoft13
06-10-11, 03:08 PM
Yea, that was stupid of me. The ones I could get I have put on some good JVC discs and also a extra hardrive. Thanks for everyone's help!

make sure to use the new Taiyo Yuden made JVC disc (made in Japan), not the old China made JVC.

nekrosoft13
06-10-11, 03:10 PM
I use Fabrik Backup (one more to add to that post. I just forgot their name at the time) and I have 350GB backed- up with them. $5/month, unlimited space. Limited by your transmission speed and the time you have...
Files are all encrypted before transmission. If you are really paranoid, you can provide your own key (instead of letting them generate one). Downside is that if you lose your key, no-one else can decrypt your files...

doesn't matter how "encrypted" something is, just take a look at recent news, everything is getting hacked.

DiscipleDOC
06-10-11, 03:16 PM
doesn't matter how "encrypted" something is, just take a look at recent news, everything is getting hacked.

This. Nothing is 100%...especially in the hands of someone else that has ulterior motives.

Roliath
06-10-11, 04:16 PM

That unfortunately does nothing from physical theft, are you keeping these in a safe or have copies off site?

musman
06-12-11, 01:10 PM
make sure to use the new Taiyo Yuden made JVC disc (made in Japan), not the old China made JVC.

Them are the ones I got. Did some research before buying. Them majority say they are the best.

nekrosoft13
06-12-11, 02:43 PM
That unfortunately does nothing from physical theft, are you keeping these in a safe or have copies off site?

One copy is offsite

Hogrider
06-12-11, 05:31 PM
Mr. Weiner tried to store some of his pictures away from his computer and look what happened. Be careful.