PDA

View Full Version : New Build: SDD or HD

ArrowMk84
06-15-11, 09:27 AM
I'm building a new gaming rig, and I'm interested in going with an SSD set up, with 80 to 100 GB system drive and two 250 GB SDDs in a RAID for a game drive. My other option is to use an old Raptor for my system drive and get two 600 GB Raptors in a RAID for gaming.

After looking at the reviews on Newegg, and comments made here and on HardOCP, my enthusiasm for SSDs has cooled somewhat. So, is it worth going to SSDs instead of Raptors for booting and gaming? How much of a PIA is it to flash the firmware on an SSD? What's up with realigning the drive? And what brands should I go with?

The rest of the hardware for the system is on order, and is:

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz (yes, I'm overclocking)
Corsair H60 cooler
Asus Maximus IV Extreme
8GB Corsair Vengence 1866 MHz
2TB WD Black (storage)
Silverstone FT02 case
Silverstone ST1000G PSU
X-Fi Titanium
Lite-On Blu-ray burner
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
and my two GTX 580s from my current rig

DiscipleDOC
06-15-11, 09:30 AM
I think for a system drive, the SSD's are perfect. As for the game drive, I would buy SATA drives for capacity and reliability. For the money you would spend for 1 250 SSD drive, you could buy 2 (or more) 2 TB (or more) drives.

my .02 cents.

ArrowMk84
06-15-11, 09:41 AM
I think for a system drive, the SSD's are perfect. As for the game drive, I would buy SATA drives for capacity and reliability. For the money you would spend for 1 250 SSD drive, you could buy 2 (or more) 2 TB (or more) drives.

my .02 cents.

If you were getting another SSD, would you stay with Intel, or go with another brand?

DiscipleDOC
06-15-11, 09:47 AM
If you were getting another SSD, would you stay with Intel, or go with another brand?

I would stay with Intel. I've had this drive for a while, and I've had zero issues out of it.

mullet
06-15-11, 10:10 AM
Do you have to have a 2nd HDD for your swap file or if you just run 1 SSD can you just disable it?

ArrowMk84
06-15-11, 10:15 AM
Do you have to have a 2nd HDD for your swap file or if you just run 1 SSD can you just disable it?

Since I think I'm going to go with Doc's suggestion, I'll just dump the swap file on the Raptors.

So the recommend steps to set up an SSD are to flash it, realign it (is that even necessary with a new drive) and turn off swapping, indexing and defragging?

DiscipleDOC
06-15-11, 10:18 AM
Since I think I'm going to go with Doc's suggestion, I'll just dump the swap file on the Raptors.

So the recommend steps to set up an SSD are to flash it, realign it (is that even necessary with a new drive) and turn off swapping, indexing and defragging?

DO NOT DEFRAG AN SSD DRIVE!! It is not necessary to flash/realign a newer SSD drive. All you have to do is make sure that is set as your o/s drive and do you install.

ArrowMk84
06-15-11, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys. I went with a 120GB Intel SSD and dual 600GB Raptors!

mullet
06-15-11, 10:41 AM
Yeah thanks guys, I have 4 GB but maybe I will get 8GB.

Redeemed
06-15-11, 11:22 AM
Yeah thanks guys, I have 4 GB but maybe I will get 8GB.

Well what's the primary function of your rig?

I'm rocking 6GB and have my pagefile disabled. Not run into an issue yet. Have come close a few times, but not enough to cause me concern. I'll likely just dump 16GB into my rig as I've been doing a crap-ton with VMs lately, and likely will be doing much more in the the future so having that extra RAM will be handy.

However my rig's main function is still gaming and multi-media and for that 6GB is plenty. :)

mullet
06-15-11, 01:05 PM
Well what's the primary function of your rig?

I'm rocking 6GB and have my pagefile disabled. Not run into an issue yet. Have come close a few times, but not enough to cause me concern. I'll likely just dump 16GB into my rig as I've been doing a crap-ton with VMs lately, and likely will be doing much more in the the future so having that extra RAM will be handy.

However my rig's main function is still gaming and multi-media and for that 6GB is plenty. :)

About like you redeemed, gaming, photoshop, maybe VM later. I just want to have enough ram to where the swap file will not be a issue. I don't use a lot of HD space, right now I am only using about 37GB with all my programs installed. I may see 50GBs but that's about it I like to keep a lean box.

Pennyboy
06-16-11, 02:12 AM
Heres my 2 cents:

If you are doing a fresh install of Windows 7 then Windows will automatically disable super fetch/prefetch and automatic defrag on your SSD will be turned off but always best to check that Windows HAS disabled it. Regarding the page file, I would be careful about disabling it altogether. I have 16gb of memory in my PC and I disabled it but had crashes with some apps, it seems some apps require a page file no matter how much system memory you have installed in your PC. If you wanted you could manage the page file yourself and hard set the page file size depending on how much RAM you have installed in your system (I have hard set mine to 8gb). Many here recommend the page file be moved to your HDD but this MSDN article recommends leaving it on your SSD as you will get the best performance from having it on your SSD. Regarding RAID 0 on SSD? as Slawter pointed out you give up TRIM which is a feature I would not want to give up.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

The best SSD to get??? I don't know but I went with an Intel 510 because Intel is known for being reliable and I put that over speed. Just looking at the newegg comment Intel have good comments, OCZ seem to have ALOT of failures! or DOA comments!

JaxMacFL
06-16-11, 06:39 AM
If you foresee running a fairly lean machine then I would forego the raptors and run everything on a single slightly larger ssd, say 240GB/250GB. You would benefit from games loading faster, i.e. the different levels in Portal 2. Everything would load faster. You can always add hdds later if need be. I have my pagefile set at 400MB/400MB just for the apps/games that might require one.

GIGARAM
06-17-11, 05:02 AM
Im using a OCZ REVO pci-x ssd for the os its totaly awesome ive never seen anything this quick lol and i use 2 2Tb drives in mirror raid for my games