PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte GTX 550 TI laggy in Bad Company 2

jimmy burke
06-17-11, 04:33 PM
I just killed my 8800 gt so I got this 550 to replace it. I have an OCZ 700watt power supply and an e8500 core 2 3.16 processor.

I already did upgrade to the newest one and it has issues. I'm going to try to "completely" remove the driver that came with it (266 I think) and upgrade to the newest one.

Gameplay is the same on any settings that I tweak in-game. Issues are CTD, extreme lag at game start, and my character not going where I direct it which resembles network lag. Is this hardware or software related? what else can i try?

mailman2
06-17-11, 11:48 PM
I just killed my 8800 gt so I got this 550 to replace it. I have an OCZ 700watt power supply and an e8500 core 2 3.16 processor.

I already did upgrade to the newest one and it has issues. I'm going to try to "completely" remove the driver that came with it (266 I think) and upgrade to the newest one.

Gameplay is the same on any settings that I tweak in-game. Issues are CTD, extreme lag at game start, and my character not going where I direct it which resembles network lag. Is this hardware or software related? what else can i try?

if you didnt have issues with the 8800GT, I'd say start with uninstalling the nvidia drivers completely and install the newest WHQLs or reinstall Windows even.

Remember the 8800GT would have been playing in DX9 not DX11 like the 550 would, so you could try forcing that... also dual core pretty much gets maxed with physics in this game so that is another possible bottleneck that could be keeping the 5500 stretch it's legs.

Too many possibilities without troubleshooting it further.

jimmy burke
06-18-11, 09:19 AM
What is a WHQL? Also, I did do this on a fresh windows install. Maybe I'll overclock my CPU.

jimmy burke
06-18-11, 11:45 PM
This is really frustrating. I dont get why a better GPU suddenly causes issues. Even if my CPU was a bottleneck, why would the new card make the game crawl?? Performance is night and day WORSE than with the 8800gt.

Madpistol
06-19-11, 12:50 AM
CPU is definitely a bottleneck, but that doesn't explain the issues you're having.

jimmy burke
06-19-11, 01:39 PM
Alright, did some more testing. In game (multiplayer) I'm getting about 30 fps on average. In single player its more like 40 for some reason. Temperature is around 60 Celsius.

I just cleaned out my CPU fan of debris and put down a new layer of Arctic Silver thermal paste between the chip and the heatsink. Both cores are 100 percent used when the game is on. I think I am going to try to overclock it with the stock fan to 3.6 ghz, I've read this is the max safe limit with the stock fan.

Strangle, single player runs very smooth but multiplayer still doesn't. I'm not sure if suddenly I have issues with my network??? I doubt it. If OC'ing doesnt work on my CPU I'm going to move the GPU to another slot and try that.

I still don't understand why the new card doesn't work as well as the old. It might be possible that the CPU is failing because it wasn't getting cooled (which is why the 8800 failed) but the CPU heatsink was relatively uncluttered.

Need to figure something out fast before I RMA this thing to Newegg

Pennyboy
06-19-11, 07:18 PM
Alright, did some more testing. In game (multiplayer) I'm getting about 30 fps on average. In single player its more like 40 for some reason. Temperature is around 60 Celsius.

I just cleaned out my CPU fan of debris and put down a new layer of Arctic Silver thermal paste between the chip and the heatsink. Both cores are 100 percent used when the game is on. I think I am going to try to overclock it with the stock fan to 3.6 ghz, I've read this is the max safe limit with the stock fan.

Strangle, single player runs very smooth but multiplayer still doesn't. I'm not sure if suddenly I have issues with my network??? I doubt it. If OC'ing doesnt work on my CPU I'm going to move the GPU to another slot and try that.

I still don't understand why the new card doesn't work as well as the old. It might be possible that the CPU is failing because it wasn't getting cooled (which is why the 8800 failed) but the CPU heatsink was relatively uncluttered.

Need to figure something out fast before I RMA this thing to Newegg

Hey Jimmy. Before my upgrade to a Sandybridge system I was running a Core 2 E8400 and a GTX280and the game was butter smooth maxed out @ 2xAA and 1680x1050 so your CPU should be fine to handle it. Is your 550ti ok in other games? have you tried 270.61?
WHQL is certified by MS hence not a BETA driver.

You don't need to OC your CPU, its fine @ stock to run BC2. Like I said my E8400 @ stock was running the game fine If you Comp runs other games fine and its running BC2 in single player campaign then it appears to be network related.