PDA

View Full Version : urgent help needed please?

deano6410
08-12-03, 11:59 AM
just bought the nvidia geforce fx5200

when i try to play a game the screen goes all weird, not sure if it is the flickering you guys mentioned on the other thread, best way to describe it, is get a piece of glass, paint on it, smash it and that is how it appears, lots of weird colours, shapes etc and yes i would say a hint of flickering.

Got the latest driver from nvidia.com but still no luck.

Any help would be great.

deano6410
08-12-03, 12:04 PM
please?

ragejg
08-12-03, 12:13 PM
Please post your system specs, as well as the brand name of your vidcard...

We'll do our best to help you . :)

deano6410
08-12-03, 12:20 PM
pretty new to computers, but

AMD 750
256 MEMORY
30GIG HARD DRIVE
WINDOWS ME
SPARKLE GEFORCE FX5200 (NVIDIA)

HOPE THIS HELPS?

MUYA
08-12-03, 05:11 PM
Dude, did u do a fresh install etc?
Windows ME is particular in the way u install drivers etc IIRC. I remeber that in WINME, you had to install mobo drivers first, then otehr drivers etc afaterwards? this was with a VIA mobo, Ie i had to install windows then install via drivers for mobo then vid card drivers and otehrs etc. Always had to rebbot with each addition of a new driver....winXP makes it easier..hell o lot easier :) upgrade to that :p

Cheers
MUYA

deano6410
08-12-03, 05:39 PM
i installed a standard graphics adapter, re-booted then installed the nvidia drivers.

I have since tried it on another game (black hawk down) and it works fine, but it wont work on midtown madness2

Seems to not like older games??????

deano6410
08-13-03, 10:27 AM
doesnt like max payne either, any suggestions of driver download sites other than nvidia.com?

Kev1
08-13-03, 10:50 AM
For dets is www.guru3d.com

Should be able to find one in which all your games will work. I'm running 42.01 without problems. Since you have a GFFX 5200 you probably can run newer ones.

I don't really know which one to recommend for you. Maybe someone else does. If not, may just be trial and error which is usually the way I do it :)

Good luck, enjoy your new video card :)

Malfunction
08-13-03, 11:45 AM
Well.

I would say... reformat>install DX 9b>install latest chipset drivers> install 44.67 Det's (Which you can get at Guru3D or Evga I believe.) I've had no problems with these 44.67 drivers. I chose these ones because there was a lot of good things said here in the driver forums about these around the time I got the card.

The other path which I don't recommend unless you know wtf you are doing is to: DX9b installed>Latest Chipset mobo drivers>uninstalling the drivers for whatever videocard you had before 5200U from Add/Remove Programs>setting card to standard VGA and doing the following:

Go into search in your start menu: Start Menu>Search

Seach for all files of NV or ATi (Whatever card you had before 5200U) and search for the following files deleting them: nv*.* or ati*.*

Delete all the files that come up except for the ones in the path you know you have the recently DL drivers in.

Then go to the Run box: Start Menu>Run...

And type in: regedit

Get a floppy handy, because I don't want you coming back whinning how Malfunction told me to do this and my PC is fooked now...lol. Make sure nothing is on the floppy but that it is formatted and do the following while in regedit:

Go to File>Export

Export a copy of your registry to your floppy disc and give it a name like Goodreg.reg

Now, make your way to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>NVIDIA Corporation or ATi technologies if you had ATi before and delete this folder from the tree.

Now you should be able to reboot for the settings in the registry to take effect and freshly install the 44.67 Detonators.

*Note:

With doing what I said and having a AIW or old vivo card from ATi, I have found files from ATi all over the place while going through all the folders of the registry. These really don't have and adverse effect if left there... but you may wanna go through and delete them later if you are bored.

The files you primarily want to take care of are the ones located in the string: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>NVIDIA Corporation or ATi technologies

If something bad happen to your registry, put in the floppy you made with the Goodreg.reg file on it>go to the Run... and type in regedit. In the registry editor go to File>import and locate the file on floppy. Click ok and reboot.

Reformatting is easier if you fear this stuff. If you don't and mess something up, you are gonna have to reformat anyways so why not take a chance and learn something new today? :D

Peace,

:D

CaptNKILL
08-13-03, 12:37 PM
Just download the newest ones on www.nvidia.com

They were updated early today. Im not using them yet (getting my new mobo today.. I'll wait), but they look pretty good, and I remember reading something in the release notes about max payne.

Try em out!

Johnmcl7
08-13-03, 12:48 PM
Is it just Midtown Madness 2, or is happening in other games? (you've mentioned it's not happening in Black Hawk down)

John

yoladude
08-13-03, 07:08 PM
oh yea, just fyi, dont forget to install dx9, cause that's a dx9 card.