PDA

View Full Version : How to turn off AGP?

myak
08-12-03, 02:42 PM
Let's start from the very beginning :-) I have gf2mx which doesn't like my motherboard or maybe its broken but the fact is it won't run with AGP enabled.
I have both Linux and Windows and in Linux I'm able to us my geforce because of NvAgp = 0 option passed to drivers. This option disables use of AGP and then my geforce is identified as GeForce 2MX/PCI but besides that, everything runs just fine.
Windows case - every Windows I tried - hangs. I tried 95, 98, 2000 and XP. Maybe someone knows what should I do? Maybe there's an option like NvAgp and I only have to set it up in Windows registry (but where?) I've sent an e-mail to nVidia's support centre but they don't seem to answer me.

AngelGraves13
08-12-03, 05:22 PM
format your PC. problem solved.

myak
08-12-03, 06:10 PM
Please don't make me laugh...
If it would be that simple.. Understand - I MUST disable agp.. formatting my hard drive (or whatever did you mean by "format your PC") won't help.

AngelGraves13
08-12-03, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by myak
Please don't make me laugh...
If it would be that simple.. Understand - I MUST disable agp.. formatting my hard drive (or whatever did you mean by "format your PC") won't help.

I don't understand what you're saying in your post. Do you have an AGP card or a PCI, if it's PCI there is no reason to worry. If it's AGP maybe you haven't installed motherboard drivers. Like on Intel chipsets you HAVE to install the drivers or you won't have any AGP.

EDIT: give us your FULL system specs, then we'll talk. Until then, I don't know what to say but format because that solves everything in my book. Kinda like when God flooded the earth...smart move, I bet the next wave's coming real soon. lol

myak
08-12-03, 06:45 PM
Ok... My geforce is AGP. My mobo is AOpen AX6BC, oldie based on i440BX. And you're trying to tell me that I have to install drivers for it even in Windows XP? Impossible.. I don't think there are even drivers for 440BX.
What I'm trying to tell you is that I want my drivers to treat my GF as GF2MX and not use AGP-specific routines because it hangs my system.

AngelGraves13
08-12-03, 07:06 PM
Ok... My geforce is AGP. My mobo is AOpen AX6BC, oldie based on i440BX. And you're trying to tell me that I have to install drivers for it even in Windows XP? Impossible.. I don't think there are even drivers for 440BX.
What I'm trying to tell you is that I want my drivers to treat my GF as GF2MX and not use AGP-specific routines because it hangs my system.

I think you need intel drivers to make it work. go find them at the intel site.

Kanariya
08-12-03, 09:41 PM
If u really want to disable AGP, set your AGP aperture size to below 32. That will disable AGP.

myak
08-13-03, 10:43 AM
Hmm... first - I really don't think I need Intel drivers. Why? Linux doesn't need them! Besides that.. how can I install them if my Windows doesn't even start?

Also, setting AGP Aperture size below 32 (I tried 8 and 16) doesn't work either. Tried changing every BIOS setting and no effect. I need something like NvAgp in Linux drivers. But it looks like I'll have to live without Windows :)

AngelGraves13
08-13-03, 02:53 PM
time to get a new rig man.

myak
08-13-03, 04:24 PM
But I really don't need anything else! I don't play any games, I just create them and geforce2 is just enough for me because I don't use any shaders or anything similar.
I only need my Visual C++ to show up on my monitor :) nVidia's programmers could do NvAgp for Linux, I'm sure they also can for Windows (dudes! I beg you! :)

AngelGraves13
08-13-03, 04:48 PM
I don't play any games, I just create them and geforce2 is just enough for me because I don't use any shaders or anything similar.
I only need my Visual C++ to show up on my monitor :) nVidia's programmers could do NvAgp for Linux, I'm sure they also can for Windows (dudes! I beg you! :)

that statement is funny....you NEED AGP to test games you're gonna make pal.

Codeman
08-13-03, 05:01 PM
But I really don't need anything else! I don't play any games, I just create them and geforce2 is just enough for me because I don't use any shaders or anything similar.

I have the 440 BX with a GeForce 2 MX, and it works fine. Running Win XP with no special drivers or the like. Not sure if there's a significant difference between the MX and the regular, but it might be a clue?

myak
08-13-03, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by 99 to Life
that statement is funny....you NEED AGP to test games you're gonna make pal.
And what do I need it for? In Linux, there's really no problem. Setting NvAgp to 0 solves everything, I can run every application including my own games, whether they're using 2D or 3D.
Windows is problem because I can't even run it. But I don't need Windows to develop games. Testing in Linux makes them more reliable because Windows' memory manager really sucks. So why do I need Windows? Because I want to compile games on my computer... right now I have to give all the sources to my friend who does that.

Codeman: I have MX too and I know I don't need any special drivers. Problem lies in hardware failure but there are software solutions that can help me. At least in Linux they are... :)