PDA

View Full Version : Tablets

Pages : [1] 2 3

six_storm
06-22-11, 01:09 PM
I'm sure some of you sport tablets now a days, so I was just wondering about your opinion on them. What kind do you have? Have you found a good balance of use between your tab and laptop? Is the tablet worth it to have along side of a laptop?

I've been looking them for a few weeks now and I have my mind made up. :D Just wondering if I would use it a ton.

Let's hear what you gotta say.

zoomy942
06-22-11, 01:10 PM
depends on how much you want to spend.

I find the nook color incredibly versatile.

PZ

zoomy942
06-22-11, 01:24 PM
I'm sure some of you sport tablets now a days, so I was just wondering about your opinion on them. What kind do you have? Have you found a good balance of use between your tab and laptop? Is the tablet worth it to have along side of a laptop?

I've been looking them for a few weeks now and I have my mind made up. :D Just wondering if I would use it a ton.

Let's hear what you gotta say.

i have a nook color.

no balance yet as I'm still in the 'wow' phase of having a tablet. i will admit that at home, i reach for my tablet for facebook or twitter or email or web access. especially when wife and I are looking something up. also, when it played a video of my daughter on facebook, right there on the tablet (flash) i was sold.

i have it rooted with cm7 on it.

DiscipleDOC
06-22-11, 01:45 PM
I have an Asus EEE Transformer TF101. I'm loving it.

DiscipleDOC
06-22-11, 01:46 PM
Six, I moved this thread to the proper forum. :)

six_storm
06-22-11, 06:55 PM
I'm seriously considering getting an iPad 2 in the next few months. The Android line up looks good (2 or 3 of them honestly) but I'm just over Android right now, mainly due to the lack of games and cool apps.

I just have one question: Will I use it enough to spent $500 on a tablet? I use my MBP at home a lot and I enjoy using it, but what about when I wanna read an ebook? Or when I just want to check something online real fast? Or have something a little more portable than my laptop?

Doc and zoomy, have you guys incorporated your tablets into your work?

Anyone with an iPad, what do you guys think?

RaidenWoW
06-22-11, 09:21 PM
imho tablet gaming is stupid unless you count the emulators. I love to play all my favorite psx games from the era they're 3d and would be considered great tablet games if they were branded as such

I'd go with vizio tablet for its IR beamer, or the samsung galaxy 10 for its slim design

zoomy942
06-23-11, 07:24 AM
Or a nook color for the savings

Sent from my Nook Color using Tapatalk

Hogrider
06-23-11, 07:40 AM
My wife loves her ipad2 and uses it every day. It seems so much more polished and finished than Android to me and if I had to choose between an Android tablet and an ipad, the ipad would win easily.

DiscipleDOC
06-23-11, 08:22 AM
I'm seriously considering getting an iPad 2 in the next few months. The Android line up looks good (2 or 3 of them honestly) but I'm just over Android right now, mainly due to the lack of games and cool apps.

I just have one question: Will I use it enough to spent $500 on a tablet? I use my MBP at home a lot and I enjoy using it, but what about when I wanna read an ebook? Or when I just want to check something online real fast? Or have something a little more portable than my laptop?

Doc and zoomy, have you guys incorporated your tablets into your work?

Anyone with an iPad, what do you guys think?

I can use mine to remote into my servers and look around that way. I use mine for emails when I'm a way from the office, and that's pretty much all I need it for. I can also use "docs to go" (an app) to read my office 2010 documents. :)

six_storm
06-23-11, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

After much debate in my mind and some good thorough research, I keep going back to the iPad. Android tablets are alright but I think I would be disappointed. There would be lots of hours testing ROMs and kernels just to get it to where I want it to be, whereas the iPad is smooth right out of the box.

I see that Apple's official refurb store has 1st gen iPads for $350, so I think I may bite. iPad 2 refurbs (whenever they show up) will probably only be $50 cheaper. Not worth it to me.

DiscipleDOC
06-23-11, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

After much debate in my mind and some good thorough research, I keep going back to the iPad. Android tablets are alright but I think I would be disappointed. There would be lots of hours testing ROMs and kernels just to get it to where I want it to be, whereas the iPad is smooth right out of the box.

I see that Apple's official refurb store has 1st gen iPads for $350, so I think I may bite. iPad 2 refurbs (whenever they show up) will probably only be $50 cheaper. Not worth it to me.

Food for thought: For the same price you can pay for an 32GB iPad2, you can get an Asus EEE Transformer TF101 tablet and a keyboard. ;)

Before you make a purchase for an iPad, do some research on the reviews for the Transformer TF101.

Airbrushkid
06-23-11, 08:58 AM
I got the iPad 2 32 gig black couples months ago. And love it. As for a keyboard. Why if you need to get one then you should just get a laptop instead of a tablet.

six_storm
06-23-11, 09:42 AM
Food for thought: For the same price you can pay for an 32GB iPad2, you can get an Asus EEE Transformer TF101 tablet and a keyboard. ;)

Before you make a purchase for an iPad, do some research on the reviews for the Transformer TF101.

But again, it's Android. Tinkering and lack of games/apps are the dealbreaker. I'd rather spend that money on something I know that has games/app and is smooth right out of the box, no tinkering required.

DiscipleDOC
06-23-11, 09:48 AM
But again, it's Android. Tinkering and lack of games/apps are the dealbreaker. I'd rather spend that money on something I know that has games/app and is smooth right out of the box, no tinkering required.

Tinkering? Lack of games? The android market has hundreds and thousands of games. As for the tinkering? I love customizing my tablet to the way that I want.

As for the keyboard: It's an accessory that I love to have. I love the fact that I can transform my tablet into a full blown laptop at any time. This tablet/keyboard was the best investment I've made in a long time.

six_storm
06-23-11, 09:52 AM
Tinkering? Lack of games? The android market has hundreds and thousands of games. As for the tinkering? I love customizing my tablet to the way that I want.

As for the keyboard: It's an accessory that I love to have. I love the fact that I can transform my tablet into a full blown laptop at any time. This tablet/keyboard was the best investment I've made in a long time.

Yes lack of games. Android doesn't hold a candle to the amount and quality of games on Apple's app store. Where is Infinity Blade for Android? NBA Jam?

As one IT pro to another, I've got burned out on wasting tons of my time to get the butter smooth, stable experience I want with my gadgets. I just want something that works right out of the box.

And before anybody brings it up, I have no wish for Flash on my tablet. It's simply a waste. Just my opinion.

Hogrider
06-23-11, 09:54 AM

Why would an ipad2 be $50 cheaper?

Also if you really want an external keyboard go with the Zagg Mate. My wife has it and it is slick as hell. It is $99 though.
http://www.zagg.com/images/accessories/logitech-keyboard/logtch-1_island.jpg
http://www.zagg.com/images/accessories/logitech-keyboard/logtch-7_island.jpg

DiscipleDOC
06-23-11, 09:58 AM
Yes lack of games. Android doesn't hold a candle to the amount and quality of games on Apple's app store. Where is Infinity Blade for Android? NBA Jam?
I never said that Apple don't have games. In fact, that's one of the things that I loved about my iPhone was the amount of games that they had.

With that said, The Android market is still young, but there are still some good games for it as well: Spiderman HD, Samarai HD, etc.

As one IT pro to another, I've got burned out on wasting tons of my time to get the butter smooth, stable experience I want with my gadgets. I just want something that works right out of the box.
I completely understand where you're coming from..but my philosophy is that if it's my tech, I want it to look like I want it to look.:cool:

And before anybody brings it up, I have no wish for Flash on my tablet. It's simply a waste. Just my opinion.
Flash was not a deal breaker with me. But I do love the fact that I can watch hulu movies with it enabled. ;)

six_storm
06-23-11, 10:08 AM
I never said that Apple don't have games. In fact, that's one of the things that I loved about my iPhone was the amount of games that they had.

With that said, The Android market is still young, but there are still some good games for it as well: Spiderman HD, Samarai HD, etc.

Spot on. Apple does have 2 years on Android.

I completely understand where you're coming from..but my philosophy is that if it's my tech, I want it to look like I want it to look.:cool:

I agree with that too. Honestly the iOS interface is good enough for me. I never run widgets on my Droid so I don't use them. Other than that, I'm good.

Flash was not a deal breaker with me. But I do love the fact that I can watch hulu movies with it enabled. ;)

I haven't been on Hulu in months. Comcast On Demand sure is nice lol.

zoomy942
06-23-11, 10:19 AM
you could spend half of those prices and get a nook color. that asus is nice, but you have a new mbp so you wont be wanting to replace your laptop anytime soon. thus, you want a quick and dirty way to do <insert actvity here>. i think spending 500 on a tablet if it's NOT replacing a laptop is silly. get a cheap tablet so you can do the things you need and call it good.

sure my nook color isnt a fancy as DD's asus, but i paid half and outside the keyboard attachment, i can do everything he does.

and as for flash, sure you dont care but it will come up, it always does... and saying "i dont have an interest in it" is flawed. its like saying "i dont have an interest in changing the oil in my car" - neither do i but i can promise you it will come up.

with my gadgets, i refuse to make a compromise in anything. if a device isnt capable of something i run across however often, then it's silly to use it.

DiscipleDOC
06-23-11, 10:21 AM
Spot on. Apple does have 2 years on Android.

I agree with that too. Honestly the iOS interface is good enough for me. I never run widgets on my Droid so I don't use them. Other than that, I'm good.

I haven't been on Hulu in months. Comcast On Demand sure is nice lol.

To each his own. I'm not hating on ya for that. All I am trying to do is let you know the android is a good alternative. :)

I just realized that you are already Apple owned. You have a MBP, and it would be useless to get a 'droid tablet unless you want to just play around with a new o/s.

DiscipleDOC
06-23-11, 10:24 AM
Why would an ipad2 be $50 cheaper?

Also if you really want an external keyboard go with the Zagg Mate. My wife has it and it is slick as hell. It is $99 though.
http://www.zagg.com/images/accessories/logitech-keyboard/logtch-1_island.jpg
http://www.zagg.com/images/accessories/logitech-keyboard/logtch-7_island.jpg

Interesting. I may get this for my wife later on. She already have my Galaxy Tab, and I can't get that thing away from her long enough to update the apps. Darn you, Angry Birds! :D

six_storm
06-23-11, 10:50 AM
To each his own. I'm not hating on ya for that. All I am trying to do is let you know the android is a good alternative. :)

I just realized that you are already Apple owned. You have a MBP, and it would be useless to get a 'droid tablet unless you want to just play around with a new o/s.

I've bene eyeing the Viewsonic G-Tablet, it's >$300 and has Tegra 2 with 10" screen.

Guess you can say I'm Apple owned. I still rock an OG Droid too.

six_storm
06-23-11, 12:44 PM
Ok, after looking even further into it today, the Nook Color has topped my list. It's $250 and it surprisingly does really great when rooted, rom'd and oc'd. I think I can deal with that.

I just don't feel the need to spend over $350 for a tablet right now, I just feel retarded thinking about spending that kind of money when I have an awesome laptop with me all the time.

six_storm
06-27-11, 01:03 PM
After much debate over the weekend, I've put some stuff up for sale like my HTPC, extra Motorola Droid 1 and Nintendo Wii. HTPC is sold so that brings in a good chunk of cash. If I can sell my phone, I think I'm just going to get a refurbished iPad 1 from Apple. It's $350, and they replace the casing and put a new battery in it. Worth it to me. Let's see how these sells go!