PDA

View Full Version : EA to pull games from Steam, make new titles exclusive to their platform

Pages : [1] 2

Ninjaman09
06-22-11, 02:29 PM
http://www.thegamingvault.com/2011/06/ea-pulling-games-from-steam-confirms-origin-exclusive-titles/

Are you kidding me? This may be the worst idea I've ever heard. GFWL and Impulse were so successful, right?

grey_1
06-22-11, 02:41 PM
I guess I'll be missing out on EA titles then...:lol:

Dummies. :)

Bearclaw
06-22-11, 02:41 PM
Wow. Dumb idea. Won't buy a game unless it is on Steam. I don't want to have to go to multiple outlets for content. I like having one (Steam) for all games. Quick, easy, an uniform.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to think this.

ATOJAR
06-22-11, 02:51 PM
I seen this coming as soon as i hear of Origin ....The only way Origin is gonna compete with steam is with prices(that ain't gonna happen)or for EA to make there big titles BF:series, Crysis, Sim's etc unavailable on steam.

I reckon in future there wont be ANY EA games on steam.

DiscipleDOC
06-22-11, 03:02 PM
Vin86, I can really use that facepalm smiley right about now...

bob saget
06-22-11, 03:04 PM
It may seem stupid to us, but there are probably reasons behind this move that we don't fully understand yet. i am just glad i got dead space 2 on steam...

|MaguS|
06-22-11, 03:05 PM
This news is wrong... EA games are still on Steam and Alice is still on Steam. Crysis 2 was pulled because of valve pulling it due to EA breaking their TOS with valve.

Please don't spread this incorrect information.

nekrosoft13
06-22-11, 03:05 PM
haha, so EA comment few days ago, that they didn't pull crysis 2 off steam was BS.

|MaguS|
06-22-11, 03:06 PM
haha, so EA comment few days ago, that they didn't pull crysis 2 off steam was BS.

No, Valve pulled Crysis 2, not EA.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/crysis-2-was-removed-from-steam-over-dlc-distribution-deal/3399/

knghtwhosaysni
06-22-11, 03:08 PM
The article says Alice is not on Steam but it is... http://store.steampowered.com/app/19680/

mojoman0
06-22-11, 04:04 PM
this was news like 2 weeks ago, since then EA has stated Valve has a problem likely with Crysis 2's agreement with gamespy, and Alice has been recently released on steam. Although not ideal for those who like having everything in one place, this is no different than Valve not selling games through D2D, Origin, Gamersgate, etc. I'm just fearful BF3 wont arrive on steam, but I wouldnt be surprised if EA holds back every steam release until about 2 weeks after public availability to get a good chunk of sales through their own service

ViN86
06-22-11, 04:35 PM
As Magus said, it was just an issue with the DLC. As long as BF3 doesn't have DLC from some third party, it's safe to assume we will see it on Steam.

crainger
06-23-11, 01:45 AM
EA Downloader, now Origin has never been a problem for me. I still prefer Steam, but I have a few games on Origin and they download quickly and run perfectly fine.

FastRedPonyCar
06-23-11, 08:15 AM
Yet another reason not free DLC sucks balls.. if it were free, we wouldn't have any of this mess.

Ninjaman09
06-23-11, 09:12 AM
Yep thanks Magus, I was going to post that update! I have read that they plan to make BF3 DLC exclusive to Origin on the PC though, is that still true?

EA Downloader, now Origin has never been a problem for me. I still prefer Steam, but I have a few games on Origin and they download quickly and run perfectly fine.
I got Hellgate: London from the EA store...never had a problem either. But yeah I prefer Steam to any other digital distribution platform.

Q
06-23-11, 09:38 AM
Another "best thing / worst thing" example with PC gaming. We have all of these options, but no standard. Just think - Steam, Origin, GFWL, and who knows what else running just to manage updates and DRM for your games. I really like the choice and have become quite the advocate of Steam in the last few years (especially once I moved to the city and got off of dial up). But if EA were to pull a move where all of the games were gone from Steam, it would be a move in the wrong direction for the industry.

|MaguS|
06-23-11, 10:55 AM
It's not like Origin as a service is the problem here. I'm sure it works fine.
But I simply want my games on Steam. 1 of those services is enough.

Yup. Don't understand why the PC Community wont get behind one service.

Q
06-23-11, 11:01 AM
Yup. Don't understand why the PC Community wont get behind one service.

Because the people who are making the decision at Microsoft, EA, etc are looking out for the best interests of their company and not the industry in general. I'm a firm believer that if Steam was adopted as "the" standard for PC gaming that it would be a good thing for the industry and would drive more sales across the board. To EA and Microsoft, Steam is just a middleman taking profit that they can squeeze out of their own delivery services.

|MaguS|
06-23-11, 11:21 AM
Because the people who are making the decision at Microsoft, EA, etc are looking out for the best interests of their company and not the industry in general. I'm a firm believer that if Steam was adopted as "the" standard for PC gaming that it would be a good thing for the industry and would drive more sales across the board. To EA and Microsoft, Steam is just a middleman taking profit that they can squeeze out of their own delivery services.

Yes but if the people who bought games only supported one method of distro then it would become the standard out of necessity. Look at GFWL, MS with Fable 3 admitted it wasn't doing so well by putting a self published title on Steam for the first time. If gamers just don't buy from "Origin" then EA will have to continue to go through Steam to get the majority of PC Sales.

Another example of companies giving in to Steam are other digital distros like Direct2Drive that originally halted sales of any Steamworks game due to conflict of interest but then resumed when they saw the lack of sales.

Madpistol
06-23-11, 12:06 PM
I have this feeling that companies like EA and microsoft want a slice of the Steam cake, since Valve is a smaller company than either of them. They probably think that they can do a better job at Steam than Valve can do at Steam. The problem that I'm seeing is that there are so many great titles available on Steam right now that I honestly don't want another game service. I want all of my games attached to one account that can be downloaded to any computer at any time. It's very convenient.

I don't like Origin simply because it would mean I have to play my games on another service, which means I have to remember another user name, another password, and I have to correspond with any friends on that service in another way. It's just too much other stuff. Steam just works as an all-encompassing service that is reliable and very good most of the time. Therefore, if there is a choice, I'll choose Steam. :)

Also, I like rooting for the underdog. Valve used to be the underdog, but at this time, they seem to control the PC gaming market. The good news is that even though they've grown to be a massive success, their ideals still remain the same. The fact that they are privately owned and operated means they don't have an agenda. Gabe Newell is sort of the savior of PC gaming if you think about it.

Q
06-23-11, 12:14 PM
Yes but if the people who bought games only supported one method of distro then it would become the standard out of necessity. Look at GFWL, MS with Fable 3 admitted it wasn't doing so well by putting a self published title on Steam for the first time. If gamers just don't buy from "Origin" then EA will have to continue to go through Steam to get the majority of PC Sales.

Another example of companies giving in to Steam are other digital distros like Direct2Drive that originally halted sales of any Steamworks game due to conflict of interest but then resumed when they saw the lack of sales.

You've hit it on the head on all points.

mojoman0
07-06-11, 08:53 PM
DAVID DEMARTINI: AT EA WE RESPECT CONSUMER CHOICE … YOUR CHOICE

I’ve been at EA for 13 years – mostly on the studio side, developing games like March Madness, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, and The Godfather. In 2007 I began leading EA Partners and had the honor of working with marquee studios like Harmonix, Crytek, Insomniac, EPIC, Double Fine Studios, Respawn and Valve.

More recently, I was asked to lead EA’s consumer platform, Origin. Origin connects gamers with our franchises across PC and mobile devices. It is the new name of our EA Store, and an application that allows you to download EA games directly to your PC. My new role means that I’m involved in shaping EA’s policies for how players download our online games and services, and we always try to avoid misunderstandings with our players.

Some confusion came up a few weeks ago, when we started seeing stories and forum posts that suggested that EA was in conflict with one of our download partners, and that we had removed our games from that service. This is absolutely not true. I want to make sure our players understand EA’s policy on selling games through our download partners. As such, today we posted our official policy on selling games on third-party download sites, which you can view here.

At EA, we want to bring the best possible content to our players. This was a key factor during my time in EA Partners, where we found great studios and worked to make their games available to as many players as possible. Here at Origin we have the same principle. We want our products available to as many players as possible, which means we make them available in all the places that gamers go to download games and services. To be very clear, except under extremely special circumstances we offer our games to every major download service including Amazon, Gamestop, and Steam.

As you know, games and how they are made have both changed. Today, we continue to extend the experience with new maps, vehicles and other content that adds hours of fun and more value for our players. We also enhance the gaming experience with features like friends lists and in-game chat using the Origin application. Most importantly, we always want to be sure we provide this content and service at the highest possible level of quality. To ensure this, any retailer can sell our games, but we take direct responsibility for providing patches, updates, additional content and other services to our players. You are connecting to our servers, and we want to establish on ongoing relationship with you, to continue to give you the best possible gaming experience. This works well for our partnership with Gamestop, Amazon and other online retailers.

Unfortunately, if we’re not allowed to manage this experience directly and establish a relationship with you, it disrupts our ability to provide the support you expect and deserve. At present, there is only one download service that will not allow this relationship. This is not our choice, and unfortunately it is their customer base that is most impacted by this decision. We are working diligently to find a mutually agreeable solution.

Going forward, EA will continue offering our games to all major download sites. We will also remain committed to providing you, our players, with the best possible content, services, and gaming experience that we can.

David DeMartini

SVP, Global E-Commerce

http://www.ea.com/news/demar-at-ea-we-believe-in-choice

FastRedPonyCar
07-06-11, 08:59 PM
so basically valve doesn't like the idea that EA wants to control patches and DLC? Tell me what is wrong with the way valve handles this with every other game they offer and what's wrong with steam's in game chat, etc?

I read that as basically saying they want us to have the choice of where to get it but since steam won't allow them to control patches/DLC, you can't download on steam.

|MaguS|
07-06-11, 09:30 PM
I think that is a BS excuse to have people side with EA when in reality its probably having to do with DLC. Why not offer players the best patch system by using steam and always having the players game up to date? Why give them a "choice? when that choice is more work for the player...

LurkerLito
07-07-11, 09:37 AM
so basically valve doesn't like the idea that EA wants to control patches and DLC? Tell me what is wrong with the way valve handles this with every other game they offer and what's wrong with steam's in game chat, etc?
Well the problem with steam from a developer's point of view, is if you want to update DLC or the game, you can't till you send it to Valve to approve then for them put it on the servers and enable the update. That means even if you have a one line change in an config file or an update to a <1k file you can't just post it, you have to go through Valve for approval first like the Apple AppStore. If that change happens to fall on a Friday, your users are usually stuck without a patch till Monday morning 10am PST at the earliest.

This kind of problem happened during Magicka's release, they fixed the code, issued a patch on steam everyone got it but, oops the dev left some debug code in, that made the game skip a level. Users found a hack to re-enable the level, but the official patch didn't come out for a day or two because of the approval process.

So yes Steam is both a blessing and a curse from a developers standpoint. User's love the simplicity of steam's DRM and convenience, but that comes at a cost to the developers in more than just money. For smaller companies I am sure the steam sales will more than make up for the inconvenience, but for bigger companies like EA, I am sure it makes it feel like more red tape to go through. Remember if you have a retail version and a Steam version the executables are NOT compatible with each other. So having a Steam version requires extra work to make Steam versions of the game. By not using Steam, EA will be able to make a single version of the game and patches for only one version. Look at Witcher 2, CD Projekt RED has to maintain 2 version now forever. One DRM free for everyone after the first patch and a specific Steam version because Steam does NOT allow you to have a game on their service that does not use the Steam DRM. This is also the reason that Steam games seemingly gets an extra third party DRM on them. Companies most likely build the game with the SecuROM or whatever built in then to avoid any major changes to the code that might introduce new bugs, they just wrap that up in steam's DRM to get Valve's approval to put on Steam.

This doesn't of course exclude the fact that EA also wants more profits that it will get from direct sales.

Why not offer players the best patch system by using steam and always having the players game up to date?
Also IMHO steam's patch system is tolerable but very far from "the best". The multi-GB download for the Witcher 2 steam patch rather than the <10MB patch for all other versions is more than proof of that.