PDA

View Full Version : LA Noire coming to PC this Fall.

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
06-23-11, 10:24 AM
http://kotaku.com/5814824/la-noire-headed-to-the-computer

LA Noir is coming to PC. So get ready to play a great game!

I also can't wait to read how consolized the game is and how linear it is...

Q
06-23-11, 10:25 AM
YES!

Thanks for sharing, Magus.

Vardant
06-23-11, 10:39 AM

Nice, pleasantly surprised.

Now where's my RDR?

ViN86
06-23-11, 11:31 AM

Now where's my RDR?

Not getting that. Probably only got LA Noir because console sales didn't really match their expectations. They expected 3-4 million sales.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/la-noire-has-potential-for-4-million-sales/

They got 1.45 million sales.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/47563/la-noire/

Something tells me L.A. Noire was expensive to make too. :o

JohnDio
06-23-11, 11:44 AM

Now where's my RDR?

My guess is that Rockstar decided to release L.A. Noire because there are a lot of PC adventure fans. Let's not forget that Noire is an adventure game at its heart, so it's only natural to port it to PC ;)

Arioch
06-23-11, 12:39 PM
The game will also have 3D support for the 5 people that care...

bacon12
06-23-11, 01:31 PM

I also can't wait to read how consolized the game is and how linear it is...

I am sure you will be eagerly waiting to complain about people complaining. :headexplode:

HiCZoK4
06-23-11, 01:48 PM
I am very happy that its coming to pc. Its BEST thing that could happen for noire and adventure games lovers.

It will proboably be like 100gb becouse all the faces are fmv, which on pc proboably will be in HD to match high resolutions.

I wonder what performance can we expect. It is gtaIV engine or Team Bondi self made stuff?

Anyway... If I would be a developer I would not agree to port it to pc. Its not going to sell much and people are going to complain a lot whenever its good or bad. I can fully understand why developer are choosing consoles market over pc, but thats also adding to that

HiCZoK4
06-23-11, 02:01 PM
There is plenty of cutscenes.
Besides that basicly the whole gameplay is one big cutscene

|MaguS|
06-23-11, 02:52 PM
I am very happy that its coming to pc. Its BEST thing that could happen for noire and adventure games lovers.

It will proboably be like 100gb becouse all the faces are fmv, which on pc proboably will be in HD to match high resolutions.

I wonder what performance can we expect. It is gtaIV engine or Team Bondi self made stuff?

Anyway... If I would be a developer I would not agree to port it to pc. Its not going to sell much and people are going to complain a lot whenever its good or bad. I can fully understand why developer are choosing consoles market over pc, but thats also adding to that

Um no. The faces are not FMV... How would it be 100GB? Its not even 20GB on the consoles... High resolution textures wouldn't cause the storage to increase so dramatically.

slaWter, All cutscenes are in-game so there's no pre-rendered scenes. Imagine it like a linear less action oriented GTA. They offer the ability to skip portions of the game that do not interest you or you fail at. It's a very casual yet serious adventure game.

MaXThReAT
06-23-11, 03:26 PM
Um no. The faces are not FMV... How would it be 100GB? Its not even 20GB on the consoles... High resolution textures wouldn't cause the storage to increase so dramatically.

slaWter, All cutscenes are in-game so there's no pre-rendered scenes. Imagine it like a linear less action oriented GTA. They offer the ability to skip portions of the game that do not interest you or you fail at. It's a very casual yet serious adventure game.

Honestly I was wondering if they were rendered or something like Bink videos too. Good to know its all real time in-game. I've seen way too much use of video cut scenes recently. They used them in GTA IV, Batman and so many others.
This is really great news though. The best part is Rockstar says the PC version will have increased fidelity and other graphical enhancements so I'm keeping my finger crossed for nice textures, effects and a real PC experience...We'll see.
I truly hope Heavy Rain and RDR both get the same treatment when and if they are ported, I have not even looked at a single review or video of RDR but it would be a day one buy for me on PC just based on comments I've read.

Mr. Hunt
06-23-11, 03:31 PM
Game is so good I'll buy it again.

|MaguS|
06-23-11, 04:43 PM
Honestly I was wondering if they were rendered or something like Bink videos too. Good to know its all real time in-game. I've seen way too much use of video cut scenes recently. They used them in GTA IV, Batman and so many others.
This is really great news though. The best part is Rockstar says the PC version will have increased fidelity and other graphical enhancements so I'm keeping my finger crossed for nice textures, effects and a real PC experience...We'll see.
I truly hope Heavy Rain and RDR both get the same treatment when and if they are ported, I have not even looked at a single review or video of RDR but it would be a day one buy for me on PC just based on comments I've read.

Not going to happen... ever. Heavy Rain is owned by Sony.

Noriega
06-23-11, 05:40 PM
This is prove that console gaming is dying.

|MaguS|
06-23-11, 06:13 PM
This is prove that console gaming is dying.

Yup, its 100% evidence!

You are such a moron.

nekrosoft13
06-23-11, 06:26 PM
nice, RDR will hit PC sooner or later as well

|MaguS|
06-23-11, 06:32 PM
nice, RDR will hit PC sooner or later as well

Doubt it, like ViN86 mentioned its about sales. RDR sold well so they see no need to port it. LA Noire needs to make up its development costs since it lost funding from Sony when it switched from PS3 Exclusive to multiplatform.

cmsmith
06-23-11, 09:31 PM

Actually...

There is a video regarding the making of this game. It turns out they used some new form of video capture system for the game. They showed all the actors while they were doing their scenes. They then turned around and showed the digitized version of the scene. It was freaking awesome!! The detail captured of the face as it changed with each word and such was just jaw dropping.

Unfortunately, Sony PS3 is starting to show its age. Bad. The PS3 couldn't handle the size of the textures necessary to handle the graphics both in terms of memory size and bandwidth. So, the game had to be scaled back. A lot. It was to the point the graphics were not quite... as jaw dropping.

It'll be interesting to see if the graphics are pumped back up to get back to the original versions. And if so, how close will the graphics be to the original. If they can get close to the original, then PC users will be in for a major treat.

crainger
06-24-11, 12:33 AM
This news surprised me. I will gladly rebuy this for PC. I will support any game that handles mature content in such a mature manner. I will also predict a few members here will buy the game and be disappoint at the nature of the gameplay. It's very simple, some of the case results can leave you with a WTF just happened face, but I freaking loved the game, can't wait to play the new DLC this weekend actually.

I hope the PC version has all the DLC, including the NA PS3 exclusive content... I must have it all.

Also LOLz at the people thinking the whole thing is FMV. It looks good, but not THAT good.

cmsmith
06-24-11, 07:08 AM
Also LOLz at the people thinking the whole thing is FMV. It looks good, but not THAT good.

I hate to bust your bubble but that is not correct. The game uses MotionScan from Depth Analysis where actors are recorded ala FMV. Reading up on it a bit, it appears to be awesome technology but it's still FMV. There maybe some elements of the game that is not FMV (particularly the scenery...), but the majority of it is. It appears what was actually shown in the game had to be dumbed down quite a bit as the consoles couldn't handle the textures in the game. I'll restate an earlier comment I made: it will be interesting to see if the PC version uses enhanced graphics closer to the actual recorded video. If the PC version gets enhanced graphics, how close will they be to the actual recorded video?

One source

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/dec/16/la-noire-making-of-trailer

Regarding the storage space and 100 GigB comment earlier, that well maybe accurate. I did some quick research. It appears the game takes the equivelant of 3 DVD's which is about 20 Gigs of storage space spread across the three. Take into account the fact compression was probably used somewhere, the game may take anywhere form 50 to 100 Gigs. PS3 has a bluray player so those owners/users may not have noticed much.

nekrosoft13
06-24-11, 08:13 AM
Doubt it, like ViN86 mentioned its about sales. RDR sold well so they see no need to port it. LA Noire needs to make up its development costs since it lost funding from Sony when it switched from PS3 Exclusive to multiplatform.

GTA4 sold well on consoles as well, but eventually it did hit PC

HiCZoK4
06-24-11, 09:20 AM
Honestly I was wondering if they were rendered or something like Bink videos too...

All the faces in game are strictly FMV... or moving images or whatever, rendered on 3d models. Just watch some trailers closely. When mouth is opened, all the teeth and blackness inside are FLAT. This looks all great in motion but some people might feel cheaten.

ViN86
06-24-11, 09:21 AM
GTA4 sold well on consoles as well, but eventually it did hit PC

And look at the flak they caught from the PC users. Everyone complained about poor performance and they spent a LOT of time patching it.

Ghosthunter
06-24-11, 11:05 AM
already got game for ps3...won't be buying it for PC...but glad to hear it is!

ViN86
06-24-11, 11:07 AM
I doubt that this is the reason. Or do you think they can react this fast and just put a port together? I think they were working on a PC version for a while.

Well there's still no release date set. Many reports say "Autumn 2011" so any time between September and December (assuming they stick to it). The content is what takes the longest to produce, and that's already done and available. So I don't see why pumping out a port that quickly isn't possible.

It is strange though we get a PC release on a game that doesn't sell very well, and we don't get one on a game that sells very well (i.e. RDR). Red Dead sold almost 7 million copies as of September 2010. Makes sense to me that they'd pump out a PC port to recoup some losses on L.A. Noire.