PDA

View Full Version : PC Blue Screening Randomly, Tried everything

stjuart
06-24-11, 10:59 AM
My cousin drops off his PC at my house to fix, because he is getting random blue screens. I have have taken the PC a part 5 times, and tried different parts from my working PC and have reloaded the OS each time to see if would not blue screen, and it loads all the way into the OS. I can reload win 7 ultimate no problem but it will get blue screens, sometimes on boot up, sometimes half hour later. I have run fur mark, Prime95, you name it. I put in a new hard drive, new memory, mobo was exchanged, New cooler, the only part left, is power supply, which is a thermal take, 850watt. Also CPU which is a Core duo Q6600, MOBO is a EVGA 790 tri sli.
I have one theory left, the pins may be bent on the mobo. I took photos and would like Someone to look at pics and tell me if its just the pins are bent.
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5086/imag0112t.jpg
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/51/imag0115z.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2307/imag0116g.jpg

Dazz
06-24-11, 11:02 AM
Looks fine, the LGA have their pins slightly bent to begin with. I would try another PSU if you can. You said you tried another mbotherboard and the same thing so i don't think it is the pins then.

stjuart
06-24-11, 11:06 AM
Also one weird issue, i see, one of the mounts for mobo, center one is loose, and is not tightening mobo, could it be because its not properly grounded, All the other screws around mobo are snug, and mobo does not move.

Dazz
06-24-11, 11:13 AM
It is possible but still don't see how that would follow with another motherboard.

stjuart
06-24-11, 11:17 AM
May go to bestbuy and purchase another power supply

Starscream
07-14-11, 07:39 AM
If it's blue-screening is it showing any error codes on those blue-screens?

If it's auto-restarting on the blue-screen turn that off so you can read it. Or look in the event viewer after it's rebooted.

Quick420
07-14-11, 12:36 PM
Wait till he trys a new PSU,that is likely the problem.

Q
07-14-11, 12:50 PM
Download and run WhoCrashed.

Bman212121
07-14-11, 02:20 PM
What speeds are you trying to run the memory at? Stock clocks or are you setting to them what's written on the package?

What video card are you using? I've seen issues with an EVGA 680i and certain cards. Cards work flawless on my xfx board but not on that one.

No need to worry about having screws as there are a lot of grounds from the PSU, so it doesn't need those to ground the board.

Maverick123w
07-14-11, 04:12 PM
Have you tried running the machine outside of the case? It's quite possible that there is a grounding issue.

I'd give it a try if the power supply doesn't solve the issue.

t3hl33td4rg0n
07-14-11, 08:30 PM
Have you tried running the machine outside of the case? It's quite possible that there is a grounding issue.

I'd give it a try if the power supply doesn't solve the issue.

Thats what I was thinking. I would try running the hardware outside the case.

stjuart
07-16-11, 09:03 PM
Bought New MOBo from MSI, crap, would not boot up my dvd drive and would just restart. RMA'D that mobo and bought a Biostar, Wont even power up. I have to have the worst luck. Never buying either brand ever again, Sticking to Gigabyte or ASUS only. Ordered a g41 gigabyte mobo, hopefully the third time is the charm. I just want to make this secondary rig work. By the way, i also have a Brand New I7 2600k, right in front of me. But already have a I7 970 and dont want to bother with it yet. If third mobo does not work, i am throwing out the q6600 and purchasing a P67 mobo and calling it a day.

Runningman
07-17-11, 11:04 AM
Have you ever thought that maybe its not the hardware that is at fault but you are doing something wrong?

crainger
07-17-11, 08:29 PM
Did you try a new PSU? Looks like that was what everyone was waiting for.

Both my gf and I had Q6600 problems. We have both started to have similar issues, freezing Blue screens, trouble booting. It was time to upgrade so we just upgraded, but it's strange to see so many Q6600 systems playing up...

stjuart
07-19-11, 01:26 PM
I don't think i did anything wrong with the build, tried almost every combination i could think. Also, why else would i be asking for advice, i also repair pc's for a living and have built and rebuilt 100's of PC's. It just does not make any sense why its being such a dog of a system. But this will be my last attempt with Gigabyte Mobo, if it does not work, i am just going to throw out the chip, and just by a p67 mobo and drop in the I7 2600k.

stjuart
07-22-11, 03:24 PM
Well just installed cheapo, Gigabyte G41MT-S2P, and so far its working. Mind you, its only been half hour since OS was reloaded and i have not gotten any error or slow downs and so far no Blue screens. Typing from this system so, lets hope it holds and does not degrade in a couple of hours, on top its near 100+ degrees here, so if its going to fail its the perfect conditions. :D