PDA

View Full Version : flicker question and some other questions

penner
08-12-03, 10:06 PM
1) i'm curious about this "flickering" or "rolling lines" problem...does it look anything like low refresh rate problems? I'm not sure if I have them or not, I have a 5900 ultra and i notice wierd "stepping" when i move around in fps's. like the corners of building im looking at gets disected into 8 or 10 sections that don't quite fit together correctly (did that make any sense?)i thought it was a refresh rate thing but my monitor supports 85 mhz at the resolution i use... i never really noticed it on my previous card (a 5600) but then i wasnt really paying much attention... after visiting these forums im looking at things in a much more critical way.

2) in the video card settings the v-sync control falls under the opengl settings. does this mean that direct 3d has no v-sync?

3) in some direct3d games, it seems that a lot of the textures have wierd moire patterns when they are far away, sometimes its really distracting, i feel like im taking part in some optical illusion experiment. anyone else have this?

4) if this whole flickering thing turns out to be a hardware issue do you think nvidia and the manufacturers will be up front about replacing cards for those of us with the bum ones, or did we just blow 400-500 bucks on a piece of .... thatll need to be replaced in a month? ive got about 10 days left to return mine to the place where i bought it and im starting to wonder if i should...

5) is it wierd or weird?

:POKE:

gokickrocks
08-12-03, 10:45 PM
seems like you are referring to jaggies instead of flickering...

StealthHawk
08-13-03, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by penner
1) i'm curious about this "flickering" or "rolling lines" problem...does it look anything like low refresh rate problems? I'm not sure if I have them or not, I have a 5900 ultra and i notice wierd "stepping" when i move around in fps's. like the corners of building im looking at gets disected into 8 or 10 sections that don't quite fit together correctly (did that make any sense?)i thought it was a refresh rate thing but my monitor supports 85 mhz at the resolution i use... i never really noticed it on my previous card (a 5600) but then i wasnt really paying much attention... after visiting these forums im looking at things in a much more critical way.

Sounds likes aliasing(jaggies).

2) in the video card settings the v-sync control falls under the opengl settings. does this mean that direct 3d has no v-sync?

There are no D3D vsync controls available via the control panel by default. You can however use a tweaking program or possibly coolbits to control vsync in D3D.

3) in some direct3d games, it seems that a lot of the textures have wierd moire patterns when they are far away, sometimes its really distracting, i feel like im taking part in some optical illusion experiment. anyone else have this?

Sounds like texture aliasing. Turn on anisotropic filtering, it could help to some degree.

5) is it wierd or weird?

"i" before "e" except after "c." It's "weird."