PDA

View Full Version : Which is more addictive? Car modding, or PC upgrading?

darkrider01
06-27-11, 10:20 AM
I have been into my PC's for a long time (since the Voodoo Banshee days) and I have usually done a pretty significant upgrade yearly or every 2 years. I know that's not as often as many people do it, but I think that's more often than 99% of people. I used to read Tom's Hardware and Guru3D articles all the time........until I got my car.

I have already done some small things to it, but I have a growing list of modifications I plan on doing. I have all but stopped looking at PC parts and gaming in general. Every night I'm checking the ModernCamaro forums, checking prices on parts, looking at other Camaros, and playing either GT5 or Forza 3.

I think the car modding is a lot more addictive than PC upgrading - what do you think?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/Mastermordeth/My%20New%20Ride/New%20Ride%20-%20small/DSC05215-1280.jpg

DiscipleDOC
06-27-11, 10:26 AM
I would have to say PC upgrades, since I don't mod my 'blazer. :(

Albo
06-27-11, 10:33 AM
I would have to say PC upgrades, since I don't mod my 'blazer. :(

+1

nV`andrew
06-27-11, 12:45 PM
I rarely upgrade my PC anymore. For me it's now my car. Some may knock me down as a ricer but hey, to each his own, I have a different definition of rice (think acura integra or honda civic). I'm working on my aggressive wheel/tire setup right now :)

http://i51.tinypic.com/2005r9z.jpg

Riptide
06-27-11, 01:38 PM
Car. Way more visceral experience than PCs. I love computers and tech, always have, but cars are much more in your face and they tickle the physical senses so much better.

Only downside is the retarded expense and the fact that when they break they can be a MUCH bigger pain in the ass to fix than a comp.

darkrider01
06-27-11, 01:43 PM
I rarely upgrade my PC anymore. For me it's now my car. Some may knock me down as a ricer but hey, to each his own, I have a different definition of rice (think acura integra or honda civic). I'm working on my aggressive wheel/tire setup right now :)

Is that a MazdaSpeed3? I was trying to talk my wife into getting on of those - nice little cars.

Riptide
06-27-11, 01:51 PM
Another thing that adds to the excitement factor. Cars are more likely to let you get yourself killed than a computer. So it really fills that reckless urge most of us males were born with. ;)

nV`andrew
06-27-11, 01:58 PM
It's actually just the regular Mazda3. I wanted to get the speed, but with gas and insurance I opted for the non turbo instead. In the future I would not mind trading it in for the Speed3 though. They're pretty quick at ~260whp for only $23,000.

Needless to say I'm very happy with this car. Got it for around 18 and 0% financing, and the 2.5L has enough torque to get out of harm's way. Comes with bluetooth and all that. I'll get it somewhere in the 200's as far as horses go and call it a day...not bad for a naturally aspirated four banger.

zoomy942
06-27-11, 02:00 PM
Since I drive an '88 RX7 with 300,000 miles, I'm gonna say fixing instead of modding.....

nV`andrew
06-27-11, 02:03 PM
Lol, sounds like my friend. Forge an engine build and twin turbo that thing :P

Hogrider
06-27-11, 08:12 PM
My car is nothing much but I love messing with my motorcycle much more than the pc.
When i was younger and had a 67 Mustang hell yea it was all cars (then again nobody I knew even had a computer back then).
For a while I was into overclocking the computer and always wanting it to be fast even though I really didn't game much with it myself. I finally got over that and now spend the cash on my grand daughters, my wife and my bike. In that order.

de><ta
06-28-11, 11:22 AM
I mod my M3 and it makes me a lot more happy then anything I do to my PC. I still like tinkering with my PC but I am not all gung-ho about it. The PC is a lot cheaper to mod then my car and I have come to realize it as a moot objective to have lately.

If I mod the PC the only time it gets appreciated is on the internet...

Whereas if I mod my car and make it look nice it gets appreciated in real life. I appreciate it a lot more too.

Real life > Internets.

Q
06-28-11, 11:55 AM
I don't mod either. Both are machines with a purpose.

The destruction of all mankind.

ViN86
06-28-11, 01:20 PM
Computers at the moment. I don't have the cash for cars yet. :o

crainger
06-28-11, 03:30 PM
I'm trying to split my time and money between both... ::(:

rudedog
07-05-11, 09:48 PM
With the way MS is treating it's PC gaming platform, I'd rather be outside modding my car or humping camera equipment around to take pictures.

Funny I have a closet full of new PC hardware (GTX580, i7 2600, Mother board, 2x 120 SSD HDs and 16 gigs of ram) I'm either too lazy to install or can't be bothered...

de><ta
07-06-11, 01:58 PM
Just spent close to $2K last week on a short shift kit, software and modified section 1&2 exhaust on my car, oil and other goodies. :)

Will be installing them next week. I think I spend more time on the car during the summer when it is nice outside. During the winter when BF3 and Skyrim comes out I will be back to geekin it. :)

nV`andrew
07-10-11, 05:19 PM
I think I dropped close to 3 grand on my suspension (including wheels and tires) and I still need adjustable front endlinks and a rear sway bar. Ahh....

zoomy942
07-11-11, 01:33 AM
Yet another fuel leak

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Trademark
07-11-11, 02:32 AM
I don't spend much on my PC anymore. No time and money for that.

Story with my cars is pretty much the same. The BMW is fine and doesn't need any work done to it. The only issue might be the MG. Thanks to the poor design from Rover the head gasket is likely to go within the first 100000km. I'm at 41000km so far... So yeah, that might require some "modding" in the future :p

Other than that, I don't spent much, on either.

Raptorman
07-12-11, 09:27 PM
Cars are way more addicting.

Disregard Women
Acquire Boost

Vagabond
07-13-11, 09:08 AM
Like i said i hate Americans for having such low car prices :P

Phyre
07-13-11, 09:11 AM
There was no firearms options. :(

darkrider01
07-15-11, 09:39 AM
There was no firearms options. :(

lol! I know exactly what you mean there. My dad keeps dragging me to gun shows, and I have no money to spend on guns :(

I want a new AR-15 and a couple more 1911's, but my current collection of firearms will have to last me for a while.