PDA

View Full Version : Not technically a car, but...

Pages : [1] 2

nemecb
07-08-11, 01:08 PM
...it is transportation:

http://www.nemebean.com/thumbs/previews/Summer 2011/100_3342.JPG (http://www.nemebean.com/Photos/gallery.php?photo=/Summer%202011/100_3342.JPG&album=Summer%202011)
Honda PCX 125

I was planning to get it after I moved, but the dealer was getting antsy holding it for me and the mortgage guy said it wouldn't be a problem, so I pulled the trigger. I've had a moped practically since I got my license, but it won't be useful at my new house so I'm selling it to my brother and replacing it with this. If I ride it for the same stuff that I rode my moped for it will pretty much pay for itself, and this can get a lot more places than the moped so I'm hoping I'll ride it even more.

Needs more storage though. It may have been dorky, but the basket on my moped was incredibly useful, and having nothing but the underseat storage on this one is annoying. Especially since I'm trying to juggle a full face helmet now.

Moo
07-08-11, 01:57 PM
(gay) :o

zoomy942
07-08-11, 02:21 PM
That's pretty cool for a piston powered transport device! ;)

mullet
07-08-11, 04:27 PM
You can ride all week for what 5 bucks? Smart move, I am seeing a ton of these things around here in FL.

Roadhog
07-08-11, 04:31 PM
lol

nemecb
07-08-11, 04:53 PM
That's pretty cool for a piston powered transport device! ;)
I don't think there's a rotary version. :)

You can ride all week for what 5 bucks? Smart move, I am seeing a ton of these things around here in FL.
Probably more like all month for $5. I've put 60 miles on it so far and I'm still not close to needing to fill up. It's only about a gallon and a half tank so it won't cost much when I do. And that's riding it a lot to break it in, so once I'm driving it normally a tank might last a month.

Maybe I should have made a Haters Gonna Hate picture for this thread too. :p

zoomy942
07-08-11, 04:54 PM
I really would love something like this but my wife will never ever ever be okay with it. Family member got hurt riding one so she'll be a wuss about them forever

nemecb
07-08-11, 05:53 PM
Yeah, that's a big part of why this is a scooter rather than a full motorcycle. It tops out at about 60 mph wide open so I'm never going to be tempted to take it on long trips. Still not "safe" exactly, but I figure if I limit my riding to shorter trips at lower speeds, it also limits the danger somewhat. Ultimately though, no matter how careful you are any time you're riding a 300 lb vehicle among cars and trucks that weigh an order of magnitude more there's going to be some danger. I've read a lot of stories about people who rode when they were young, then had kids and gave it up, and started again once the kids were gone. It all depends on your tolerance for risk. Or maybe your wife's. ;)

Hogrider
07-09-11, 10:24 PM
Get some balls and buy a motorcycle. Leave the scooters for the kids.

Redeemed
07-10-11, 01:27 AM
I'm planning on getting a bike. Great vehicle for the commute during summer, and just can't beat the fuel economy. :)

Hogrider
07-10-11, 03:09 AM
If you are talking about a motorcycle Redeemed then you best learn to work on it yourself and even then the parts will eat up the savings you get from the great fuel economy. My rear tire lasts about 12,000 miles and is about $250 to get replaced if I take it into the shop. I thought about just buying it online for cheaper and then having a local indy shop put it on. Cost came out to be about $250 for that too. They get you with the price of parts and or service. My oil filter is about 9 bucks and the oil I use is about $9.50 a quart. I could go with cheaper oil but since the motor is air cooled I want some good synthetic oil. Yea Harleys are more expensive but even those plastic Jap bikes parts ain't cheap.

Redeemed
07-10-11, 07:31 AM
If you are talking about a motorcycle Redeemed then you best learn to work on it yourself and even then the parts will eat up the savings you get from the great fuel economy. My rear tire lasts about 12,000 miles and is about $250 to get replaced if I take it into the shop. I thought about just buying it online for cheaper and then having a local indy shop put it on. Cost came out to be about $250 for that too. They get you with the price of parts and or service. My oil filter is about 9 bucks and the oil I use is about $9.50 a quart. I could go with cheaper oil but since the motor is air cooled I want some good synthetic oil. Yea Harleys are more expensive but even those plastic Jap bikes parts ain't cheap.

No, I actually meant a Schwinn. :bleh:

:lol: Yes, a motorcycle. :D And yeah, I realise it will have associated costs of repair and maintenance- every vehicle will. But I drive 40 miles one way for work, unless you're telling me a bike that is never raced and just driven to work for the commute and back will break down regularly I'd imagine the savings in gas will be well worth it. :) Or at least I'm hoping it will be. :o :lol:

Hogrider
07-10-11, 08:22 AM
I think it went over your head. The cost of maintenance will more than likely be higher for a motorcycle which will cut into your fuel savings is what I was trying to tell you.
I can buy 4 car tires and have them installed for about $300 and they will last for about 4-5 years. My motorcycle has to have a new rear tire every year for about $250. The front tire needs replaced about every 1 1/2 to 2 years for about the same $250.
I just bought front and rear brake pads recently and they were $84 total just for the pads.
I can change the oil and filter (every 5,000 miles) in the car for about $20 in the car and the bike costs about $40. The primary oil needs to be changed every 10,000 miles and is about $9 for a quart.
Also if you get a bike that uses premium gas (mine does) the gas will be higher which will again cut into your savings.

Just trying to get you to realize the gas savings from a motorcycle aren't as great as you would think without looking further into it.

Our Malibu got 33 mpg on our 3,000 mile trip this past week while the motorcycle gets 50mpg on the highway. The motorcycle uses premium which is about 20 cents more on average. It would have been about $93 cheaper to take the motorcycle. Now I ride the motorcycle about 12,000 miles a year so that would be about $372 a year approximately in gas savings. Subtract the rear tire and the extra $40 in 2 oil changes, and the $9 primary oil change and you are left with a savings of around $73 a year.

I love my Harley but I sure as hell didn't buy it for the gas savings.

Redeemed
07-10-11, 08:38 PM
I think it went over your head. The cost of maintenance will more than likely be higher for a motorcycle which will cut into your fuel savings is what I was trying to tell you.
I can buy 4 car tires and have them installed for about $300 and they will last for about 4-5 years. My motorcycle has to have a new rear tire every year for about $250. The front tire needs replaced about every 1 1/2 to 2 years for about the same $250.
I just bought front and rear brake pads recently and they were $84 total just for the pads.
I can change the oil and filter (every 5,000 miles) in the car for about $20 in the car and the bike costs about $40. The primary oil needs to be changed every 10,000 miles and is about $9 for a quart.
Also if you get a bike that uses premium gas (mine does) the gas will be higher which will again cut into your savings.

Just trying to get you to realize the gas savings from a motorcycle aren't as great as you would think without looking further into it.

Our Malibu got 33 mpg on our 3,000 mile trip this past week while the motorcycle gets 50mpg on the highway. The motorcycle uses premium which is about 20 cents more on average. It would have been about $93 cheaper to take the motorcycle. Now I ride the motorcycle about 12,000 miles a year so that would be about $372 a year approximately in gas savings. Subtract the rear tire and the extra $40 in 2 oil changes, and the $9 primary oil change and you are left with a savings of around $73 a year.

I love my Harley but I sure as hell didn't buy it for the gas savings.

Gotcha'. :)

Well, I'm not getting it strictly for the fuel economy. I've always wanted a motorcycle. It's primarily because I think they're enjoyable. The fuel economy is just an added plus. :)

Hogrider
07-10-11, 08:40 PM
Gotcha'. :)

Well, I'm not getting it strictly for the fuel economy. I've always wanted a motorcycle. It's primarily because I think they're enjoyable. The fuel economy is just an added plus. :)

Now that is the reason to get a motorcycle :thumbsup:
Are you wanting a cruiser or a crotch rocket?

Redeemed
07-11-11, 12:15 AM
Now that is the reason to get a motorcycle :thumbsup:
Are you wanting a cruiser or a crotch rocket?

Cruiser. Never did care much for crotch rockets. :)

Hogrider
07-11-11, 12:18 AM
Good man. :cool:

Redeemed
07-11-11, 12:20 AM
Good man. :cool:

:lol:

Why thank you, kind sir. :D

Honestly- I've much reading up to do, far from any actual purchase presently. It is something I am working towards though. Not set on any make or model, only set on it being a cruiser. No intention of breaking any speed records, only interested in an enjoyable ride from my house to my job, and back. Nothing more, nothing less. :) If an opportunity arises for a longer ride, that will not be refused. :lol: :)

Hogrider
07-11-11, 12:23 AM
If you get one you will be required to post pics of course.

I just installed a Garmin ZUMO 450 motorcycle gps on my bike today. It works great and is cool to listen to mp3s on but I really don't care for the look of it sticking up between my ape hangers. Might haver to try and figure a different way to mount it so it doesn't stick up so far.

Roadhog
07-11-11, 12:45 AM
I can has?
http://i.imgur.com/HL5eA.png

bob saget
07-11-11, 01:05 AM
probably costs more than most cars :D

munkus
07-11-11, 01:13 AM
:D
http://i.imgur.com/s2PAU.jpg

Roadhog
07-11-11, 01:14 AM
probably costs more than most cars :D

Nah, you can get a ducati monster for under 10k and the one I posted above for about 10-15k.

bob saget
07-11-11, 01:19 AM
Nah, you can get a ducati monster for under 10k and the one I posted above for about 10-15k.

hmm. not exactly good value, as far as transportation goes, but you do not buy a Ducati for value.

Roadhog
07-11-11, 09:35 AM
hmm. not exactly good value, as far as transportation goes, but you do not buy a Ducati for value.

You should look at the price of a Harley. Most overpriced piles of crap.