PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* help me...

krazi
08-13-03, 10:34 PM
Ok i have no idea what to do, i get this weird lag spike problem where i drop to 4 fps for about 10 seconds in certain games and then it returns to normal for a few minutes and then lags again for 10 seconds and it continues this trend. I'm using a Geforce FX 5200 Ultra and i have no ****ing idea whats wrong... i seriously need some tech support here, ANY help would be greatly appriciated. Also for some reason (This has never happened before) my card has a 50 degree C core temperature...oddly enough this error was carried over through the system restore and i had also been getting this same problem which occured out of nowhere one day on my geforce 2 mx400. This is NOT a connection issue for I experience this problem in single player games as well.

CPU Specs:
Windows XP
1800 mhz processor
Geforce FX 5200 Ultra
256 mb of RAM

P.S. I have all the detenator drivers/ sound card drivers/ chipset software/ monitor and all up-to-date software for my cpu.

saturnotaku
08-13-03, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by krazi
Windows XP

256 mb of RAM

I'd wager this would be your problem right here. Your games are probably hitting your swap file which might cause the sudden performance drops. Snag another 256 mb stick and your trouble should go away.

stncttr908
08-13-03, 10:40 PM
Which games? Also, 256MB is a little low nowadays. Investing in another 256MB module could pay dividends.

krazi
08-13-03, 10:44 PM
I was told that the memory was most likely the problem and that would explain alot but how would that effect the fps? also i only recieve lag in Blizzard games (Warcraft III, Starcraft, and Diablo II)
but whats weird is that i dont get lag in Counter-strike or DoD...thats what stumped me. I mean starcraft/wc3 uses a 35-40% cpu usage while running, how would low memory lag me so badly?

The Baron
08-13-03, 10:47 PM
Sat, you haven't seen PAIN until you've tried to install SP1 on a machine with 128 megs.

EEeeeeeeehhhh....

saturnotaku
08-13-03, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Sat, you haven't seen PAIN until you've tried to install SP1 on a machine with 128 megs.

EEeeeeeeehhhh....

I've installed Windows 2000 on a Pentium 166 w/64 mb of RAM and a K6-2 350 w/128 mb of RAM. I haven't tried XP, but those two systems were more than painful enough.

The Baron
08-13-03, 11:21 PM
Meh. I don't know whether or not you win. The thing was completely bloated with spyware, but I could barely run anything (Spybot didn't want to run until SP1 was installed. Bad Mojo.).

It took 2 hours. BARGH.

bkswaney
08-13-03, 11:38 PM
The Min is 512. 1Gig is a very sweet spot. ;)
I had file swap like mad on my rig with 256 and my games run like crap.
I put 512 in it and everything is fine now. :)

yoladude
08-14-03, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by The Baron

EEeeeeeeehhhh....

yea, i'm usin one of those machines right now. my computer in my sig is 1500 miles away. it also has integrated graphics; so basically, i get to play games at 640x480 or below with low-med settings. fun for me, but i guess it will make me appreciate the comp i bought more when i get home.

GeneticWeapon
08-14-03, 12:04 AM
By the description he gives, couldnt the lag be caused by information being dragged across his AGP bus?....are his AGP drivers current and working properly?

StealthHawk
08-14-03, 05:51 AM
I was told that the memory was most likely the problem and that would explain alot but how would that effect the fps? also i only recieve lag in Blizzard games (Warcraft III, Starcraft, and Diablo II)
but whats weird is that i dont get lag in Counter-strike or DoD...thats what stumped me. I mean starcraft/wc3 uses a 35-40% cpu usage while running, how would low memory lag me so badly?

It is definitely a low memory problem. Low memory causes swap file usage which causes stutters. Essentially your system is waiting for data which has to get transfered from your memory to your harddrive and back. As you can imagine, this process is anything but fast.

Blizzard games are memory hogs. I don't think StarCraft should lag with 256MB of RAM, even on winXP. But Diablo2 tends to bog down when too many things get on the screen. WarCraft3 can definitely use all your memory, especially on custom maps.

nIghtorius
08-14-03, 09:40 AM
You also shouldn't rule out third party programs. which
may do their thing every 10 seconds.

for once.. A friend of mine had utterly slow performance..
games ran slow / crawly and stuttering.

The problem was in the drivers of his scanner. which included a status traybar application (which only showed the status of the scanner and was totally unneeded).

after closing this application (by using CTRL+ALT+DEL / end process). games ran almost two or even three times as fast than before.

stncttr908
08-14-03, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
It is definitely a low memory problem. Low memory causes swap file usage which causes stutters. Essentially your system is waiting for data which has to get transfered from your memory to your harddrive and back. As you can imagine, this process is anything but fast.

Blizzard games are memory hogs. I don't think StarCraft should lag with 256MB of RAM, even on winXP. But Diablo2 tends to bog down when too many things get on the screen. WarCraft3 can definitely use all your memory, especially on custom maps. I don't remember Starcraft bogging down on my P100. That's very odd. The other two, when Diablo II came out the standard memory wasn't even 128MB I don't think. Higher end systems had 256-512. I can see your point about WC3, but if Starcraft bogs down there are some problems.

Darth Rancid
08-14-03, 12:04 PM
Starcraft appears to do that on some XP systems... it does on mine, (Celery, 512Mb), and I've seen it do so on a older P4 system too...

No matter what, 256 is a bit low for a XP system methinks...

krazi
08-14-03, 12:10 PM
I'm gonna get another stick of 256 today; hopefully that will work. Low memory would also explain why i had the same problem after the system restore, but i still don't understand why the problem just sprouted out of nowhere. The lag just appeared one day and would'nt stop. But the weird thing is that with my old card (geforce 2) it would lag cs/dod the same way it does with wc3/sc/and d2 now! so all the new video card i got did was switch the lag problem from cs to blizzard games! wtf is up with that?

stncttr908
08-14-03, 02:20 PM
Just make sure you match up brands of memory if at all possible.

krazi
08-14-03, 08:40 PM
I just played Starcraft with 512 mb of ram and the lag is stilll there...
The wc3 lag has diminished and im not sure about d2 yet. Mabye my computer just doesnt like starcraft anymore lol. I've gotten new stuff for my computer only thing i havent replaced yet is my sound card...think it could be faulty??

krazi
08-14-03, 08:48 PM
Hmm...i think it is my sound card..i only get lag in games where there is music playing( d2 sc and wc3) not in cs/dod or any games with music...very weird.

dragonwarrior65
08-14-03, 08:48 PM
hmm....I had this same problem with my Radeon 8500 video card....the game would lag or slowdown every once in a while.I tried everything, 3rd party patches, new drivers, etc. It turns out the problem was with my mouse. As soon as I switched out my mouse, the problems disappeared.......so my advice to you is to switch out ur mouse and keyboard, and try a different pair, and the problems might go away.

StealthHawk
08-14-03, 09:17 PM
I'm gonna get another stick of 256 today; hopefully that will work. Low memory would also explain why i had the same problem after the system restore, but i still don't understand why the problem just sprouted out of nowhere. The lag just appeared one day and would'nt stop. But the weird thing is that with my old card (geforce 2) it would lag cs/dod the same way it does with wc3/sc/and d2 now! so all the new video card i got did was switch the lag problem from cs to blizzard games! wtf is up with that?

The thing about computers is generally that the longer you use one, the more stuff gets installed. This includes programs that you install, as well as spyware, etc. More and more things start when Windows boots, which drain RAM. One reason that I like reformating at least once a year.

P.S. I never meant to imply that StarCraft was a RAM hog.

krazi
08-14-03, 10:53 PM
STILL LAGGY WTF?

p4 processor 1.8 ghz
512 mb of ram
geforce fx 5200 ultra
all drivers up to date
windows xp

....please help!! i dont understand this; this is aggrivating and its starting to get me nervous cause now im thinking theres a serious problem with the computer! and its practically new! the only thing i havent replaced so far is the sound card.. how could a computer just go from working great one day, to laggy the next! doesnt make any sense at all. Any advice? think its the sound card? do i need to upgrade the BIOS? or is my computer dead after 2 years..

khafan
08-15-03, 01:46 AM
If you think problem is your sound card, just unistall it and run the game without soundcard and see if the problem still exist or not.

yoladude
08-15-03, 02:24 AM
yea, i'd first of all try the suggestion about the mouse and keyboard. if that doesn't work, take out the soundcard and use the onboard sound for a while, see if that cures it. sound cards can be finnicky little buggers; my SB Live! was, until i replaced it. btw, what is your soundcard?

krazi
08-15-03, 06:07 PM
Uninstall the sound card? I'll try it but how would i put it back in? does it require a cd or something or would i just put it back in and get the drivers again? Also i was told that it could be faulty capacitors or my PSU...whatever that is.