PDA

View Full Version : It never ends.....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CaptNKILL
08-14-03, 01:50 AM
Well, my NF7-S RMA arrived today. I spent 2 hours cleaning up my desk and finding the proper tools for the job (as opposed to sitting on the carpet and just throwing the thing together). I unplugged my PSU, RAM etc., left the drives alone. Removed my heatsink\fan, cleaned the AS3 off of it and the cpu with isopropyl alcohol. Used an old credit card to spread a thin (but not too thin) layer of AS3 on my CPU core. Removed the K7S5A, put the NF7-S into the case. INstalled CPU, installed heatsink. Put the video card, PSU and JUST the stick of XMS ram in (since the Windows XP installer has always been picky with RAM for some reason... I thought 1 stick would eliminate any problems during installation).

Made sure everything was connected properly. And sure enough, the system looked great. It ALWAYS LOOKS great when I'm done. And, like usual.... another piece of SH^@ Abit board doesnt even boot. The fans go, and I hear some clicking inside (speaker) but no monitor signal or beeps.

I was fine at this point... I was pretty sure it was just a loose connection somewhere. Even my amazingly reliable K7S5A did this when I brought it back from a LAN party (after being jostled around a lot). So... I checked everything, pushed on the RAM, pushed on the video card, nudged the heat sink a bit.... still nothing. Now, I was pissed off, simply because I KNEW it would happen like this... the second I saw the UPS truck come up my drive way, I knew the board was still going to not work for crap even though it was a totaly new board.

So.... after checking everything possible (reset CMOS etc.) I just threw my Samsung RAM in, instead of the XMS. IT BOOTED. It got to post just fine, which was a releif since I thought for a second that I fried my CPU (or crushed it with the HS\F). I didnt feel like formatting and installing windows yet, since the computer was OBVIOUSLY having some sort of problem if the XMS RAM wouldnt work in it. So I set some things in the BIOS and then rebooted..... when I got to the POST, I hit del again to go into setup and it froze during memory testing..... FUNNY, MY OLD BOARD DID THAT TOO!!!! Then I rebooted again, and during the memory testing, THE COMPUTER REBOOTED. So I shut it off, then stuck the XMS in WITH the Samsung..... NO BOOT. I took the XMS out, and it booted... but the CMOS had been cleared..... ?? So I stuck the XMS in and removed the Samsung..... it booted! But it locked during memory testing! Then I tried a whole crap load of other useless bull#*&@... including testing the battery with a multimeter (came out to 3.8volts... plenty for a 3 volt battery).

Finally, I just kicked the case (outside of the case... even in a furious rage I dont damage hardware :D), walked over to my steel cabinet and punched 3 knuckel dents into it.... my mom was kinda scared, but I felt better :D

Why is it that the only boards I have problems with are the ones that are supposed to be good? The Gigabyte 7VRX that slowly died on me in February was a $130 board, and my NF7-S was $125 (both NF7-Ss had similar problems). Yet, this el-cheapo ECS K7S5A (SIS 735 chipset with maximum 266fsb) runs almost flawlessly. Not to mention that Im using a 1998 Gateway P2-400 right now that hasnt crashed in months.

Anyone know where to get some C4 and an address to Abit's main office? Im feeling kind of vengefull (?) after being screwed over once and then waiting 3 weeks to be screwed over again.

digitalwanderer
08-14-03, 08:48 AM
This upgrade is starting to sound like a bit of a nut-buster dude, sorry to hear about the problems. :(

Kain
08-14-03, 08:54 AM
Damn, that sucks big time. :(

B&R
08-14-03, 09:41 AM
yeah asus all the way man. Neve had any probs with it.

CaptNKILL
08-14-03, 01:11 PM
I posted this thread here (http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2041857#post2041857) too. Check there for extra info.

AthlonXP1800
08-16-03, 12:15 AM
Oh dear you have trouble with the same board again twice :(, I think it is now the best time to sell Abit NF7-S board and buy either ASUS A7N8X or A7N8X Deluxe board. With number 1 ASUS brand you wont go through all the same pains it did with Abit. :D

CaptNKILL
08-16-03, 01:00 AM
People said the same thing about Abit....

I've heard of a lot more problems with the Asus than the Abit, yet the Abit absolutly blows (for me).

Tomorrow I'm going to call my freind (the one who helped me build my K7S5A system a month ago) and I'll try to figure this out once and for all. He has an Antec True Power 430W PSU, I'll throw that on my board. Maybe neither of my "cheap" PSUs can handle this board for some reason.

BTW, since there are more responses at the AMDMB forums, im posting most of my up to date info there. Please check there for more.

AthlonXP1800
08-16-03, 02:23 AM
Well I checked Asus motherboards forum and I was really amazed to read many posts people have problems, I am shocked users overclocked the memory chips that caused memory to failed made the motherboards failed to post. Others are really out of minds overclocked the motherboards FSB to the max 400Mhz FSB to 420Mhz FSB and users are so clueless to know flash the latest BIOS will fix the problems that users never done it before. One of dumb thread about a user who build a new system with new Athlon XP 1800+, started up the new system, format hard drive and installed Windows XP, install UT2003 and play the game. Then the next thing the PC rebooted itself, user thought it the motherboard problem but he later discovered when he went into BIOS and found out the CPU is overclocked to 2400+. It turned to be user error who never thought of configured the BIOS first after started the new system. :rofl

I found here are none of threads about motherboards problems, in fact all these threads are caused by user errors, clueless users (much worsen than user beginners), faulty memory and cables.

Earlier in the year, my friend bought 3x 256Mb memory modules for new Asus A7V8X motherboard, he installed all 3 memory in the slots and the PC failed to posted. I suggested him to take out all the memory and insert 1 memory a time to see if it worked so far just only 1 memory worked fine and the other 2 memory are faulty. He rma the 2 faulty memory and received the new 2 working memory replacement on the next day. :)

I have the new Antec True Power 430W PSU too, wait and see if the PSU will work with your motherboard. :D

Riptide
08-16-03, 09:55 AM
A friend of mine also had to RMA his Abit - an IC7. His northbridge fan was one of the first set, the crappy ones. Then one of the pins that holds the fan in place came out and his fan dropped onto his Ti4600 WHILE the PC was going. Luckily, there didn't appear to be any damage and he powered the system off immediately.

I'm not so sure about Abit any more... I've owned a good board from them (BH6) but their RMA process is, IMHO, a pain in my rear end and some of their latest boards seem to be rather doggy.

digitalwanderer
08-16-03, 10:26 AM
Not in the same league as your problems...but I lost two 40Gb hard-drives in two days on the same bog damn computer. (Blue, me wife's.)

After swapping out 4 hard-drives and installing windows more than half a dozen bloody times since day before yesterday I've finally found an old 4.3Gb drive that seems to at least have her up and running....but now my wife doesn't understand why I wanna order a new hard-drive! :eek:

"But honey, you fixed it! It works fine." :rolleyes:

PsychoSy
08-16-03, 03:08 PM
"Hunny, we don't need a new drive! It works fine!"

<--2/3 months later-->

"Dammit! Honey, can you fix Blue?"

"What's wrong now?!?"

"It keeps bugging me about the disk running out of space..."

<--you remove pointless stuff shaving only 200-500 megabytes-->

"Crap...order a bigger drive, then..."

Tell me I'm wrong, Digi? :)

CaptNKILL
08-17-03, 01:17 PM
Well, I guess its over for the NF7-S.

It didnt work with a 430W Antec True Power.

And my RAM works fine in a KT400 board.

Im going to RMA this board and demand that Abit pay for the shipping (both ways). If I dont find another board that suits my needs (overclocking features, lots of options, speed) before then, I guess I'll test the NEXT RMA board on the 430W PSU FIRST. If it works, I'll buy one for myself (with all the money I dont have). Then hopefully I can have a fast comp that isnt going to die.

BTW, my K7S5A is running without a single problem\error after ripping the whole computer apart and rebuilding it.

If anyone has any ideas on motherboards that have good overclocking features (locked AGP\PCI dividers mostly), good compatability and speed... I need some ideas.

The Baron
08-17-03, 01:23 PM
A7N8X Deluxe?

the Gigabyte NF2 board?

CaptNKILL
08-17-03, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
A7N8X Deluxe?

the Gigabyte NF2 board?

I just dont know anymore.... from what people are saying at those forums, you absolutely NEED the BEST PSU and RAM to make any Nforce 2 board work... you know, 550W Antec True Power, 2x256Mb of TwinMOS or TwinX PC-3200....

I think thats a load of crap personally, but Id like a board that people can confirm works with my RAM and my PSU.

I have a 512Mb stick of Corsair XMS PC-2700 CAS2, a 256Mb stick of Samsung CTL PC-2700 (single sided) and a 256Mb stick of GIEL PC-2700 (single sided). The GIEL could be flakey... im not really sure because my NF7-S never worked well enough to determine which RAM worked.

:(

digitalwanderer
08-17-03, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by PsychoSy
"Hunny, we don't need a new drive! It works fine!"

<--2/3 months later-->

"Dammit! Honey, can you fix Blue?"

"What's wrong now?!?"

"It keeps bugging me about the disk running out of space..."

<--you remove pointless stuff shaving only 200-500 megabytes-->

"Crap...order a bigger drive, then..."

Tell me I'm wrong, Digi? :)
I would tell you you're wrong if I wasn't such an awful liar... :rolleyes:

fivefeet8
08-17-03, 03:05 PM
Sorry to hear about all the problems you've had with that Abit Nf7-S rev2. I've had mines for a while now and it's not given me any headache. I use to have a generic 400w Compusa PSU and it was fine. Had to upgrade recently to an Antec 550w PSU because of my new vid card. I also have an Abit Nf7-s rev1.1 board and it's fine as well.

You could try posting at the Abit forums.

AthlonXP1800
08-17-03, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
I just dont know anymore.... from what people are saying at those forums, you absolutely NEED the BEST PSU and RAM to make any Nforce 2 board work... you know, 550W Antec True Power, 2x256Mb of TwinMOS or TwinX PC-3200....

I think thats a load of crap personally, but Id like a board that people can confirm works with my RAM and my PSU.

I have a 512Mb stick of Corsair XMS PC-2700 CAS2, a 256Mb stick of Samsung CTL PC-2700 (single sided) and a 256Mb stick of GIEL PC-2700 (single sided). The GIEL could be flakey... im not really sure because my NF7-S never worked well enough to determine which RAM worked.

:(

Well you will be very happy that you will be finally get rid of Abit curse and get ASUS A7N8X or A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. :)

So I searched everything you need to know. Many people with ASUS A7N8X motherboard confirmed Corsair memory worked fine here (http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=226098&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) and CORSAIR / ASUS MOTHERBOARD CROSS REFERENCE GUIDE (http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/compat/asus-k7.htm), Samsung CTL PC-2700 (http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=216836&highlight=A7N8X+Samsung+CTL+PC2700) and GEIL memory (http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=185445&highlight=A7N8X+GEIL+PC2700) are all worked fine. One have 400W Allied PSU (http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=247303&perpage=15&highlight=A7N8X%20Allied%20PSU&pagenumber=1) ran fine on A7N8X.

It seem that all your memory modules and PSU will run fine on ASUS A7N8X and Abit certain has lots of bad motherboards. :D

CaptNKILL
08-18-03, 10:45 AM
Check both of these threads for info:
http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2041857

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249156

Note the last post in the second thread. He said he bought 4 different NF7-S boards and 1 was bad... the bad one was from Fry's. They returned it 4 times (!!!!) and all of them were bad! They ordered one from NewEgg and it worked fine..... naaa, this board isnt a bad design.... :rolleyes:

CaptNKILL
08-18-03, 09:25 PM
:rofl hahahaha :lol:

What great service Abit has!

I just got a reply to the email I sent and they told me to contact the RMA department... they totaly ignored my questions that didnt partain to the RMA dept.! Whats even better, RMA section of the site is under maintenance! It doesnt work!

:rofl

Abit..... how the hell can they call themselves "Your Reliable Partner"???

Oh well... Im going to contact excaliber PC now to see if I can get a refund. Id rather not even get one of these POS boards. I just want my damn money back.

BTW, check my sig. I read something about the K7S5A having good PCI\AGP dividers at 150Mhz BUS, so I stuck a fan (one from an old Soyo KT266 north bridge) on my northbridge heatsink (fit perfectly!) and bumped the FSB to 150Mhz. Now Ive got a 2000+ rock solid and my PC-2700 ram is running at 300Mhz rather than 266Mhz.

Im happy for now... just as long as Abit\excaliber can get my damn money back one way or another.

.....ABIT: Your Reliable Partner.....

:bs:

CaptNKILL
08-18-03, 09:55 PM
Here we go guys... sending this to eXcaliber PC:
-----------------
My NF7-S 2.0 died a month ago (purchased here). I RMAd it through Abit. A full 3 weeks later (5 days ago) I recieved the replacement and Ive been working on it almost 3 days STRAIGHT and it DOES NOT WORK. Im not asking to solve the problem, because its obviously broken, and there are gashes in the area around the CPU socket (the board I sent to Abit was in flawless condition on the outside). I dont even know how this board made it through the RMA department and into my hands. I sent an email to Abit tech support asking for some compensation (just to pay for my shipping on the SECOND RMA board, since it was their fault in sending me another broken one). They ignored my questions\requests and told me to email the RMA department, WHICH DOESNT EVEN HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS TO CONTACT ON THE ABIT SITE. RMAing the board again would force me to ship the board (costing me another $20) to Abit, wait another 3 weeks for the replacement, and then HOPE that the new one works. From what Ive been reading, many Abit RMA boards are broken as well. Some people go though 4 or 5 boards before they get one that works. That comes out to an additional $100 in shipping, and more than 2 additional months of waiting for a functioning piece of hardware.

I refuse to be treated like this after already spending over $150 on this board (not to mention the 2 months of utter hell ive been put through). I am requesting that I get a refund for this motherboard, for the $120 I spent on it originally. Im assuming that because this is a certified Abit dealer (which means you are supposed to be representing their services) you can arrange this for me.

Thank you for your time,

P.S. I have all of the original parts for this motherboard. Including the BOX, and the original invoice from this site.
---------------------

I didnt send it yet... should I change\add anything to get my points across? I wanted to threaten them by saying "If my request is declined, I will make sure to tell everyone about the way Ive been treated.". But Im not sure if thats out of line or not. And believe me.. I would tell EVERYONE about this. ;)

The Baron
08-18-03, 10:09 PM
You're too angry.

Be very laid back about it.

"Look, I bought this board, it died, I RMA'd it, it died again, I RMA'd it again, it STILL doesn't work, Abit has refused to do anything about it except send another RMA, so I'm asking you guys to take this back. I have the original box and all parts included with it."

Something like that.

Then, if they completely blow you off (just say they can't take it back period) or tell you to contact Abit, tell them you're going to get in touch with a lawyer. THEN you'll have a full refund within an hour.

Also, include your contact information (phone numbers). If they take you seriously, there's a good chance they'd want to call you. Plus, it helps your case, makes you look legit.

(yes, I've done this many, many times. Diamond was afraid of me :D )

CaptNKILL
08-18-03, 10:21 PM
lol Good point baron :)

hey, I really appreciate your support with all this, your always the first to respond to my questions, and you always have something helpfull to say :)

Thanks man
:thumbsup:

The Baron
08-18-03, 10:32 PM
Meh. I try. And my net connection is too screwy right now to play SWG :p

CaptNKILL
08-18-03, 10:34 PM
After cooling down a bit, I rewrote my message. Here is the new one:
------
In April I bought an NF7-S 2.0 from eXcaliber PC. It died a month ago after working great for 2 months. I RMAd it through Abit. After 3 weeks, it arrived. I rebuilt my whole computer from the ground up and this board was dead the first time I turned it on! It has some large gashes around the CPU socket, making me wonder how it even got through the RMA dept. in the first place. I contacted Abit asking for compensation and they did nothing but tell me to go through another RMA. After all of this, Im tired of all the headaches and Im asking that you please give me a refund for this board after all the trouble Ive been through. I have all of the original parts, extras and the original invoice from eXcaliber.

Thank you for your time,
Joe Nuzzo
------

Hows that?

Im probably going to send it now. Doesnt really matter tho, their service dept. has been closed for hours now.

EDIT: should I enclude my contact info with this message?

The Baron
08-18-03, 10:42 PM
Yeah.

Add,

"If you would like to speak with me about my inquiry directly, I am available at (PHONE NUMBER AND TIMES WHEN YOU'RE THERE!)."