PDA

View Full Version : Origin to Delete games after 24 months without login

Pages : [1] 2

K007
07-17-11, 12:31 AM
Well nothing big tbh..i am sure we all would login at least once in 2 years...but a bit silly for Origin to hide it in the T&C

"Paid DLC, and serial codes for your games (AKA your right to use the game) are "Entitlements" and will be deleted after 2 years, according to this agreement."

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/irdhs/ea_will_delete_your_games_if_you_dont_log_in_to/

Rummy
07-17-11, 01:16 AM
Does Steam have something like this?

K007
07-17-11, 03:25 AM
Does Steam have something like this?

I think Steam's version is basically if you screw around with the services then yea...they will terminate your account.

This could be things like doing fraud.

Other than that...steam does not do things like this.

Madpistol
07-17-11, 08:47 AM
Just another reason not to use Origin. Steam is the superior service.

Roliath
07-17-11, 03:32 PM
just login once a year
or if you download something, just keep the installer backed up.

Bah!
07-17-11, 05:36 PM
Origin is really a horrible service. The current client and service is pretty much useless. It's not something that "just works".

The Origin "service" has been around for years, only it was called the EA downloader, and it's always worked fine for me. What part of it are you having problems with?

Personally I like it better than Steam, because once I download and install my game I never have to even use Origin again. The only time I ever run the service is to reinstall or buy something new.

Redeemed
07-17-11, 05:41 PM
The Origin "service" has been around for years, only it was called the EA downloader, and it's always worked fine for me. What part of it are you having problems with?

Personally I like it better than Steam, because once I download and install my game I never have to even use Origin again. The only time I ever run the service is to reinstall or buy something new.

Unless I am misunderstanding the OP, by not logging in once every 2 years EA can revoke your liscense for your copy of the game rendering it not playable.

So your claim about never having to use it again is false. Because if you don't ever use it again, you'll lose your liscense to the game and thus wont be able to play your game.

crainger
07-17-11, 05:55 PM
You guys need to relax. The chances of this are minimal as almost ALL EA games have you logging into your account, this also includes the Bioware accounts now. (Even PSN ids now?) From what I hear it's just their in case they do need to purge accounts not doing anything. IE someone who has passed away... This is important for security reasons. You can't retain user info forever when an account becomes inactive. Unfortunately. If you can't delete personal information without losing the entitlements.

I've been using EA Downloader since it came out, no problems what so ever. I'll still continue to buy the Big EA games there if Steam isn't offering anything better. Plus it looks like BF3 isn't coming to Steam.

Fieryphoenix
07-17-11, 08:00 PM
You don't have to revoke game ownership or delete a dormant account in order to lock it down for security purposes.

crainger
07-17-11, 08:16 PM
I dunno. Facebook cops a lot of flak for retaining user data closed and inactive accounts.

Whatever the case, I'd hope they would send an email before anything happens. No one is away from email for more than 2 years at a time these days are they?

Rakeesh
07-18-11, 01:05 AM
That's really lame if you have to log in once and a while. I think I went without using my steam account for somewhere around 29 months, if I would have lost my games I would have been pissed.

Glad I don't own any origin games.

K007
07-18-11, 03:59 AM
WoW is a bigger database for sure...or battle.net/etc...includes sc2...they don't de-activate accounts/delete ure profile if ure in-active.

Bah!
07-18-11, 01:18 PM
Unless I am misunderstanding the OP, by not logging in once every 2 years EA can revoke your liscense for your copy of the game rendering it not playable.

So your claim about never having to use it again is false. Because if you don't ever use it again, you'll lose your liscense to the game and thus wont be able to play your game.

If you want to nitpick, yes, you might have to use it once every two years, although Crysis is still on my games list and I haven't played it in much longer than that. Of course, compared to Steam, which requires you to load it every time you play your game, is once every 24 months such a big deal?

K007
07-19-11, 06:38 AM
If you want to nitpick, yes, you might have to use it once every two years, although Crysis is still on my games list and I haven't played it in much longer than that. Of course, compared to Steam, which requires you to load it every time you play your game, is once every 24 months such a big deal?

Isn't having Stream on to play games = DRM / part of Steam's antipiracy methods?

LurkerLito
07-19-11, 09:40 AM
It's kind of a weird thing. It sounds like they don't want to have accounts idle for more than 2 years, but since I don't consider Origin as anything else but a download client, it means unless I buy something from them once every 2 years, I could fall into that category. At the moment this doesn't seem as it will be an issue, but it might.

Origin is trying to be steam, with messaging, friends list, etc, but I won't use them if I already have all that on steam and on multiple publishers and indie games. They are too late to the party, so they are going to leverage their IP (BFBC3, Crysis, etc) to try and get the users to switch but it's going to be an uphill battle cause unlike Steam, friends who might not like any EA games won't be part of origin, they will continue to just use steam. Origin can never win on EA games alone, it's probably why they had no problems buying popcap games, to try and swing other types of gamers to their Origin service.

frenchy2k1
07-19-11, 01:14 PM
Actually, this is the opposite.
Their terms state that they will keep giving you access AT least 2 years after your login.
STEAM does not certify anything (they can revoke access at any time for any reason).

The difference is that STEAM has proven trust worthy so far and EA has not.
STEAM has included a lot of community features in their client and people do not resent running the client to access the games (even if technically it is DRM), as it brings some value and stays mostly out of your way, letting you access your game while patching them with a minimum of fuss.

Origin does not.

Mike89
07-19-11, 04:37 PM
I think this just means that you wouldn't be able to retrieve your key through origin, not that the key itself would become invalid. I keep copies of all my keys and don't use Origin to play games I have there. I open Origin games the same way I open all other games (except Steam which you have to open first) by clicking on the game exe. The only time I need to open Origin is I want to download another game from EA. Other than that I don't use it. I liked the old EA downloader better than Origin. The old downloader gave the option of asking for each game location. Origin is not as flexible and I don't get into all the social BS that it introduces (like crappy Windows Live and to a lesser extent Steam). I just want to play the games as quickly as possible, don't need or want the chat options and posted achievements to compare with the kiddies.

RollinThundr
07-20-11, 06:09 PM

This, I'll never understand the love and devotion steam gets. It's DRM people, it forces you to run it anytime you want to play something, even RETAIL games force it on you on certain titles using Steamworks DRM, nothing I love more than going to a midnight release for a AAA PC game and having to wait hours til I can play a game I paid for since steam unlocks stuff when it's good and ready. **** Steam.

Crow_Nest
07-22-11, 05:26 AM
When they say "Delete" do they mean the money you paid for your game and serial number becomes invalid and if i wish to play it again i have to repurchase?

Mike89
07-22-11, 11:52 AM
No that's not what it means. It means if you open Origin and look for that key it will no longer be there. The game still plays fine if it's still installed. A good idea would be to keep records of all your keys so you don't have to depend on someone else storing it for you (which is what Origin is doing). The same thing could happen if Steam lost all your data. I've made myself a txt file that I regularly edit with all my keys and related things I need to remember. Comes in quite handy and has saved my ass many times.

bacon12
07-22-11, 12:18 PM
I just installed the client, and will check it out. I don't like it before I even tried it because my gaming life revolves around steam.

Mike89
07-22-11, 12:28 PM
I don't like it before I even tried it because my gaming life revolves around steam.

You need a girlfriend dude.

bacon12
07-22-11, 12:32 PM
I have two, and I am getting to old to juggle anymore.

ST:DS9
07-24-11, 06:55 PM
Does Origin have a Steam like Client that I can have it automatically run and logged on when I start my computer? If so, then I could see myself using Origin with this 24 month thing, but if not then I will never use Origin. Since Steam uses next to nill resources, I have no problem running another steam like application.

crainger
07-24-11, 07:21 PM
Yes it does have a client. It's called Origin. It can run in the background and auto log in.