PDA

View Full Version : Huh, I just learned something about Steam...

ST:DS9
07-25-11, 04:58 PM
So far, with all my non Steamworks games, I am able to run those games without having Steam running at all. I just need to run the executable from the game directory. I was even able to move the whole game directory for these games somewhere else on my drive and play the game from that directory and not have steam run at all.

I had no idea this could be done. This explains the 3rd Party DRM thing. If the publishers/developers don't want to play Valve for Steams DRM, they have to use their own, cause you do not have to have Steam running to play non Steamworks games, and can freely move those games directories to other drives/folders. YOu just have to make sure you use the game executable from the game directory it self.

ST:DS9
07-25-11, 08:17 PM
I guess I am one of the few people who did not know this

mailman2
07-25-11, 09:39 PM
I knew about this, I've accidentally run them from the exes and they started without steam.

frenchy2k1
07-26-11, 06:28 PM
STEAM usually adds enough value to me to be run anyway. Good to know either way...

FlakMagnet
07-27-11, 07:59 AM
Yes, good to know! Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Yaboze
07-27-11, 09:53 AM
I didn't know that either, I assumed Steam checked online if it was yours and just ran the .exe.

|MaguS|
07-27-11, 12:11 PM
It's not all non steamworks, some games allow you to run without steam but many require steam still. I know because Oblivion requires me to run steam and its non steamworks.