PDA

View Full Version : Of the games you are playing....

jkmetal
07-26-11, 01:12 PM
How many are remakes/sequels?

I m chipping away at about 40 games and of them around 15 are either sequels or remakes. This is not to say that more of the same is bad, just that sequels are becoming the order of the day.

(list lifted from a gamespot thread (http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28781383/q4---are-you-wallets-ready-people?tag=topics%3Btitle). Italics is material from the op of the thread)

September 2011:

Dead Island - September 6th
Resistance 3 - September 6th
Disgea 4 - September 6th
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine - September 6th
Star Fox 64 3D - September 11th
God of War Origins Collection - September 13th
F1 2011 - September 20th
Gears of War 3 - Sept 20th
Men of War: Vietnam - September 23rd
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection - September 27th
FIFA 12 - September 30th
October 2011:

Rage - October 1st
Twisted Metal - October 4th
Ghost Recon: Future Solider - October 4th
Dark Souls - October 4th
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - October 11th
Forza 4 - October 11th
Batman Arkham City - October 18th
Battlefield 3 - October 25th
DBZ Ultimate Tenkaichi - October 25th (I love DBZ games)
King of Fighters 13 - October 25th
Red Orchestra 2 - October 30th
November 2011:

Uncharted 3 - November 1st
Cod MW3 - November 8th
Metal Gears Solid HD Collection - November 8th
Skyrim - November 11th
PES 2012 - November 11th
Saints Row:The Thrid - November 15th
Halo CE Anniversary - November 15th
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - November
December 2011:

Max Payne 3
Others coming out Q4:

Star Wars: The Old Republic (rumored for a Nov release)
Zelda SS
Kirby Wii
Kid Icarus
Super Mario 3DS
Mario Kart 3DS

Woah. I count 29 remakes or sequels.

My buying habits have been skewered toward retreads as of late; crysis 2, dirt 2, alice 2, civ 5, just cause 2, mlb 2k11... It just didn't hit me till now how many retreads i ve been buying.

So is this a fad due to economic conditions or is the gaming industry turning into film industry? Hollywood blockbusters with ever larger budgets and ever fewer ideas dominate my local theater. Ever larger AAA game blockbusters with ever larger budgets dominate the local shelves, AAA games drawing from a shrinking well of ideas. In the film industry you have your independent films and you have your independent gaming scene. "Indie" gaming is growing, not just in size but also in awareness among gamers. These two "independent" scenes seem to be place to find those new ideas in both films and games. Good or bad, this is where we're headed.

Thoughts?

HiCZoK4
07-26-11, 02:23 PM
I am not waiting for anything. Duke Nukem Forever was the last game ive waited in my life :lol:

bob saget
07-26-11, 02:33 PM
I am not waiting for anything. Duke Nukem Forever was the last game ive waited in my life :lol:

do you still use the apron? :naughty:

Ninjaman09
07-26-11, 03:02 PM
I don't think that we are headed towards indie gaming as our primary source of games. Big franchises and developers are making a ton of money and sequels are not necessarily a bad thing. Indie games are great in that they are cheap to make and sell and can be a lot of fun, but they're usually more of a novelty than anything else. The big money will always be in the hands of giant publishers like EA and Activision.

HiCZoK4
07-26-11, 03:28 PM
do you still use the apron? :naughty:

Hell yeah :bleh: She likes when I serve breakfest in that apron :firedevil

frenchy2k1
07-26-11, 06:39 PM
I don't think that we are headed towards indie gaming as our primary source of games. Big franchises and developers are making a ton of money and sequels are not necessarily a bad thing. Indie games are great in that they are cheap to make and sell and can be a lot of fun, but they're usually more of a novelty than anything else. The big money will always be in the hands of giant publishers like EA and Activision.

QFT.
Look at the line up. Some of those games should be quite interesting (Skyrim: TES5) while others are incremental changes to their current ones (sport games, COH and derivatives...).

Then you have the big success indies, like Minecraft and Terraria.

Good time to be a gamer...

Yaboze
07-26-11, 08:06 PM
I am looking forward to Deus Ex: Human Revolution (August), Rage, SWToR, and Skyrim.

jkmetal
07-26-11, 08:58 PM

Indie games will never be a primary source of games, however they will be the primary source of original IPs in the future.

Its not that sequels are inherently bad, just many sequels are simply more of the same. Or they fall into the "bigger, more intense, more epic.." trap. Not to say that tried and true isn't fun but I personally become bored more quickly with a sequel or remake.

LT.Schaffer
07-27-11, 12:11 AM
For me it's Been mostly sequels

Portal 2
The Witcher 2
Dirt 2
Dirt 3
Dead Space 2
Crysis 2
Fear 2
Lost Planet 2
Just Cause 2
Far Cry 2

So far in 2011 i've managed to finish 29 Games :)

The Witcher 2 was #29

Now i'm On #30=Alice:Madness Returns

But i still have about 94 to play Through :o

mailman2
07-27-11, 12:51 AM

you've wasted your life lol.

Ninjaman09
07-27-11, 09:24 AM
QFT.
Look at the line up. Some of those games should be quite interesting (Skyrim: TES5) while others are incremental changes to their current ones (sport games, COH and derivatives...).

Then you have the big success indies, like Minecraft and Terraria.

Good time to be a gamer...

Yeah I agree, it really is.

Its not that sequels are inherently bad, just many sequels are simply more of the same.
That's a fair point, some franchises do better than others though. It all depends on the developer. I think Dead Space 2 and Mass Effect 2 are very good examples of sequels which took the strengths of the original games and added enough that they created an even better experience. I hear the same of the Witcher 2 but that's one of those games I could never get into no matter how hard I tried. Still it's been a while since a great new IP came out from a big publisher.