PDA

View Full Version : IS THERE ANY SOFTWARE THAT WILL DO A TRUE IMAGE

john19055
07-29-11, 01:34 PM
I want to change my harddrive and I was wondering if any software like Acronis True Image Home 2011 will let me copy everthing to a different harddrive and not have to reactivate my copy of windows 7 Pro,because I don't want to have to reinstall everthing over.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

nekrosoft13
07-29-11, 02:10 PM
true image will do a a true image ;), and you can do sector by sector if you want, 1:1 copy.

as far as re-activation goes, that depends, every 3-4 hardware change = re-activation. so if your number is up, a new hard drive can triger activation.

john19055
07-29-11, 03:13 PM
Has anyone done with windows 7 64bit and it saves your activation plus work perfect like it did on the other harddrive .I know I used to doit with windows XP and had sucess

nekrosoft13
07-29-11, 04:49 PM
Has anyone done with windows 7 64bit and it saves your activation plus work perfect like it did on the other harddrive .I know I used to doit with windows XP and had sucess

again, there is no "save activation" option, if hard drive is different, it counts as one "strike" towards your activation.

Vista, 7 etc.. has a certain amount of changes that are permitted, before it will ask for reactivation. if you used up all your allowed changes, it will ask you to reactive its that simple.

john19055
07-30-11, 06:58 AM
I used Acronis*Migrate*Easy 7.0 and it worked like a charm,on my windows 7 Pro 64bit.People were saying I would need a boot CD for it to boot up right on the new harddrive ,but with Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 I just copied it to the harddrve and no problems .Activation was fine on my new harddrive, my games still worked fine even tho I install them from my D drive and my old hardrive will still boot up and activation is fine on it .But I don't need it so I just made it a extra drive to put downloads in.

Rakeesh
09-21-11, 02:04 AM
Jesus we really need to stop URL's for these low post accounts, these spambots are getting ridiculous.

Lyme
09-25-11, 10:27 AM
I want to change my harddrive and I was wondering if any software like Acronis True Image Home 2011 will let me copy everthing to a different harddrive and not have to reactivate my copy of windows 7 Pro,because I don't want to have to reinstall everthing over.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

You don't need to do a true image, but you need to get the important things right. For example I use Windows Home Server V1 and it doesn't do a true image, but it will let me back up a pc, yank the hard drive, put in a new one of different make/model/size and restore to it, and I do not need to reactivate.

XDanger
10-02-11, 02:13 PM
I used acronis true image WD edition (free) to transfer os to ssd, as long as you have a corresponding brand drive in your system somewhere the free versions work, you don't have to be transferring from or to whichever brand.

crainger
11-07-11, 07:29 AM
Sweet. Didn't know Acronis did a WD version for free. ::):