PDA

View Full Version : nvidia vows to ship kepler by years end

Pages : [1] 2

wheeljack12
08-02-11, 09:10 PM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphics/display/20110802141713_Nvidia_Vows_to_Start_Shipping_Keple r_GPUs_by_Year_End.html

Arioch
08-03-11, 01:35 PM
Cool, I passed on the 500 series and will probably go SLI with these when they come out. That should hold my system up for a while until I do my next major CPU/motherboard change.

Ninja Prime
08-04-11, 01:27 AM
I'll believe it when I see it, considering we know nothing and have no rumors of it at all this late in the year, I see another fermi 6 month late launch looming.

wheeljack12
08-04-11, 09:46 PM
well, with mb makers like msi and asrock preparing for ivy bridge and implementing pci-e 3.0 and x79 which should have pci-e 3.0, I think it's essential that both AMD and Nvidia get off their butts and get something out that makes use of the higher bandwidth. The only thing nvidia and AMD are going to have to sacrifice is the 28nm process and go with 40nm for the new cards since TSMC is still getting ready for the 28nm process. If either waits and since TSMC supplies both with their silicon, we could see pci-e 2.0 making a longer stay than anticipated. So, if you say 6 month layback, it will be for both companies, not just one.

Roadhog
08-05-11, 02:21 AM
Hate to be the debbie downer, but... http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphics/display/20110804175446_Nvidia_Denies_Plans_to_Release_Kepl er_GPU_in_2011.html

Redeemed
08-05-11, 02:33 AM
I'd imagine the same for AMD then. So likely no new GPUs from either camp this year. Then again, AMD did launch the 5800s before nVidia was able to launch the 400s. So it is possible, I suppose, for AMD to launch before nVidia. Afterall, AMD's silicone requirements might be less demanding than nVidia's, therefore an easier order to fulfill.

Granted, I'm no engineer by a long stretch so my interpretation here is likely entirely innacurate. Merely speculating with my limited knowledge on such matters. :)

bob saget
08-05-11, 02:48 AM
Granted, I'm no engineer by a long stretch so my interpretation here is likely entirely innacurate. Merely speculating with my limited knowledge on such matters. :)

Don't doubt yourself, and make someone a wager for $50 that ATi release before nVidia :lol:

Muppet
08-05-11, 03:39 AM
I'd imagine the same for AMD then. So likely no new GPUs from either camp this year. Then again, AMD did launch the 5800s before nVidia was able to launch the 400s. So it is possible, I suppose, for AMD to launch before nVidia. Afterall, AMD's silicone requirements might be less demanding than nVidia's, therefore an easier order to fulfill.

I can't see either camp releasing anything high end before the end of the year. Through no fault of there own. TSMC have has huge issues going to anything below the 40nm process.

Bman212121
08-05-11, 01:27 PM
If ATi can get a 28mn part out before the end of the year I could see a GTX 585 on 28nm bridging the gap until kepler is ready.

Vagabond
08-05-11, 01:53 PM
I still haven't seen a game that the 580 can't play, nor the 6970 for that matter.....I think we should all ask game developers to actually program their games better rather than expect new graphics cards...

Roadhog
08-05-11, 11:24 PM
I still haven't seen a game that the 580 can't play, nor the 6970 for that matter.....I think we should all ask game developers to actually program their games better rather than expect new graphics cards...

agreed.

Muppet
08-06-11, 02:46 AM
agreed.

+1 :)

Rollo
08-07-11, 10:33 AM
Don't doubt yourself, and make someone a wager for $50 that ATi release before nVidia :lol:

That's not a bet I would take, but of course after I said I refused it or ignored it, someone here would make a thread saying I owe the person who made the bet the money anyway.
(and that I should "be a man, and pay my bets that were never agreed upon")

:wtf:

I don't care if kepler ships before ATi's parts. As long as ATi isn't offering PhysX or 3d Vision Surround, or something I consider better, their cards are out of the question for me anyway.
(not like I'm going have three 3d monitors and let the capability go to waste, even if ATi cards could give me faster framerates)

grey_1
08-08-11, 09:45 AM
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2011/08/08/no-new-nvidia-gpu-this-year/1?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bit-tech%2Fall+%28bit-tech.net+feed%29

Nivida has confirmed that it will not be shipping its next generation GPU this year.

Things have been very quiet on the next-gen GPU front recenty, as we mentioned in our recent podcast . However, the news, which is sure to disappoint Nvidia fans hoping to ask Father Christmas for some new shiny silicon before the year is out, was confirmed by Ken Brown, a spokesman for Nvidia over on Techspot.

Keplar - the codename for the successor to Nvidia's current GPU architecture, Fermi, and Nvidia's effort at nailing the 28nm manufacturing process, will not be landing on shelves until 2012

Mr Brown stated 'Although we will have early silicon this year, Kepler-based products are actually scheduled to go into production in 2012. We wanted to clarify this so people wouldn’t expect product to be available this year'

No probs - my 480 is still doing just fine.

snowmanwithahat
08-08-11, 10:24 AM
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2011/08/08/no-new-nvidia-gpu-this-year/1?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bit-tech%2Fall+%28bit-tech.net+feed%29

No probs - my 480 is still doing just fine.

Yeh with 470 SLI I can't really say I'm itching for an upgrade

grey_1
08-08-11, 11:44 AM
Good! That fits my plan just fine :)

Yeah, me too. I hate when the itch strikes and I'm not ready to scratch it. :lol:

wheeljack12
08-09-11, 02:52 PM
funny thing is that both articles came from the same place. I do agree that to make 28nm manufacturing is going to take some time as it's like a tool and dye company creating a new mold for a product. Your basically redoing your assembly line in that sense and that takes time. Isn't it ironic that TSMC has both AMD and Nvidia by the balls when it comes to production of their gpu's? In the US and Canada, we would call that monopoly and anti-trust.

Ninja Prime
08-09-11, 03:37 PM
funny thing is that both articles came from the same place. I do agree that to make 28nm manufacturing is going to take some time as it's like a tool and dye company creating a new mold for a product. Your basically redoing your assembly line in that sense and that takes time. Isn't it ironic that TSMC has both AMD and Nvidia by the balls when it comes to production of their gpu's? In the US and Canada, we would call that monopoly and anti-trust.

Not really, theres always Global Foundries. In fact I think they might have 28nm up before TSMC does.

Rollo
08-09-11, 05:25 PM
Not really, theres always Global Foundries. In fact I think they might have 28nm up before TSMC does.

I read someplace the new AMD cards use a different process for 28nm that will likely be ready before the type Kepler uses.

Good fortune for AMD if that's true, first to market equals sales.

SirPauly
08-10-11, 10:43 AM
offering PhysX or 3d Vision Surround, or something I consider better, their cards are out of the question for me anyway.

http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4249#p131399

Rollo
08-10-11, 05:43 PM
http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4249#p131399

Exactly. I don't expect every game, or even most to deliver these optimisations. However, NVIDIA cards give me comparable performance on the "old school" rendering, so why not opt to get access to the cool eye candy where available?

Even if NVIDIA sent me packing tomorrow, I'd still buy their cards instead of ATi just for the flexibility.

bacon12
08-10-11, 05:49 PM
I read someplace the new AMD cards use a different process for 28nm that will likely be ready before the type Kepler uses.

Good fortune for AMD if that's true, first to market equals sales.

But does it equate profits?

Rollo
08-11-11, 07:51 AM
But does it equate profits?

It should, I don't see first to market as ever a bad thing. (especially for the holiday season)

SirPauly
08-11-11, 10:57 AM
Being first has its rewards and if one looks at the setbacks with the incarnations of Fermi -- not only did AMD gain an incredible amount of market share, they actually did retake over-all discrete leadership for a quarter, with solid revenues and profits from their GPU division.

Granted, perfect storms don't hit companies all the time but even talented companies like nVidia and ATI/AMD suffer through them. nVidia weathered this and came back strong with future iterations of the Fermi architecture and did retake share.

candle_86
08-11-11, 08:39 PM
but will it play Crysis @ 2560x4800 16xAA 16xAF @ 60FPS single GPU