PDA

View Full Version : Get this.. Nvidia intros FM approved Betanators.

Templar
08-15-03, 04:41 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11037

There comes a time when enough is enough and there's nothing that can make you change your mind. This is one of those times for me and I'm sure thousands of others.

All I can say is: STFU Nvidia!

Simon

PreservedSwine
08-15-03, 04:55 AM
Great... I wonder how many other barn doors they can close now that all the horses have left.

Hanners
08-15-03, 04:58 AM
That's strange... The impression I got from the FutureMark guys at Beyond3D is that they had given no such approval to any nVidia drivers. :confused:

From Patric Ojala, 3DMark Producer over there:

AFAIK Futuremark has no official statement for the new Nvidia drivers. If you find some text that claim otherwise, it most likely did not originate from our company. The 45.23 drivers seem like the best GFFX drivers released so far, but this is not an official statement of our company, it's just my personal opinion

StealthHawk
08-15-03, 06:12 AM
When in the world did people start trusting the Inquirer :confused:

saturnotaku
08-15-03, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk

I was thinking the exact same thing. :nono:

muzz
08-15-03, 09:37 PM
Hmmmmmm........ well every dog has his day, and NV will have their days when a high % finally says **** off you losers!!

digitalwanderer
08-15-03, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Heck, when in the world did people start trusting nVidia again? :lol:

micronX
08-15-03, 10:48 PM
If submission are allowed on the ORB with these drivers, then thats the same thing as a stamp of approval from Futuremark.
I dont care what Patric says.

digitalwanderer
08-16-03, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by micronX
If submission are allowed on the ORB with these drivers, then thats the same thing as a stamp of approval from Futuremark.
I dont care what Patric says.
Damn, two posts in a row that I agree with you on! :D

If the scores are ranked in the Orb, the drivers are FM approved. Period.

Skuzzy
08-16-03, 09:38 AM
Of course they will be allowed in ORB. FM has already had a taste of NVidia's lawyers. I am sure they do not want to go down that path again.

John Reynolds
08-16-03, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Of course they will be allowed in ORB. FM has already had a taste of NVidia's lawyers. I am sure they do not want to go down that path again.

Which does nothing but tempt ATI to introduce cheats into their drivers so that their products aren't unfairly represented.

Skuzzy
08-16-03, 10:07 AM
Agreed JR. It is a viscious circle. As long as people put any stock in FM the devs will waste time making sure it runs better than the other guys product.

Just a side note; I watched a guy run FM one day and the graphics were full of artifacts and noise. Everything was just flat distorted. He bragged about how high his FM score was. Basically he overclocked his card to the point of lockup and ran the tests.

I feel for reviewers these days. There really is not any software they can use to get an idea of what card is better for what. It has become all smoke and mirrors.

The methodology used really needs a hard looking at. But I don't want to go into it right now. Hopefully, soon I will have more answers than questions.

digitalwanderer
08-16-03, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Just a side note; I watched a guy run FM one day and the graphics were full of artifacts and noise. Everything was just flat distorted. He bragged about how high his FM score was. Basically he overclocked his card to the point of lockup and ran the tests.

I have never understood that mentality. :rolleyes: It just ain't healthy for your card to do that and when are you gonna run it that hot to play a game?

Skuzzy
08-16-03, 02:49 PM
That's just it digi. It wasn't about games, it was only about getting his FM score higher. I guess that was a game to him and to a lot of other people.

Anytime I see someone bragging about FM scores, I label them ignorant, best case, just plain stupid worst case.

digitalwanderer
08-16-03, 02:56 PM
Well 3dm2k1se is STILL one of my favorite games, but I never push it to the point of artifacting...it kind of seems to defeat the purpose and to be cheating.

One of my benchmark rules is they have to look good running, I'm weird that way. ;)

Skuzzy
08-16-03, 08:10 PM
Yes, but digi,..you're wierd. Different category than ignorant or stupid.

The term "benchmark" is getting pretty ugly these days. Maybe we should call them "product evaluations". Hmm,..no scratch that..it implies people can actually accomplish that.
I'll think on it.