PDA

View Full Version : Whenever I play a game in OpenGL it freezes..

sheeps
08-15-03, 11:50 AM
yeah, as the subject says, opengl games freeze, and direct3d games are hella slow..

It never happened when I was 98, and it only worked a little while on xp when I accidentally updated from 98 to XP when I wanted to format.

My graphics card is a GeForce 2 GTS 32MB (ASUS V7700)..

I've tried heaps of different drivers but none seem to do any help for it..

So what should I do? Buy a new graphics card?

I formatted and everything to see if that would fix it. I mean I played Doom 3 (leaked of course) on it after I formatted the FIRST time, and I also played UT2K3 (not legal, my friend put it on, :/.)..

So is there anyway I can get this fixed without forking out heaps of cash..?

bkswaney
08-16-03, 01:57 AM
What r your system specs?
It could be a 100 things. U r going to have to trouble shoot.

sheeps
08-16-03, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by bkswaney
What r your system specs?
It could be a 100 things. U r going to have to trouble shoot.

Yeah I know, that's what makes it annoying, I've been trying for almost a year I reckon..

my specs.. ok.

Pentium 3 800mhz
512mb SD Ram
GeForce 2 GTS 32 MB (Asus V7700)
Asus Motherboard ( I think. )
Soundblaster vibra 128 (I think)
err..
Windows XP Home Edition
A4 tech Mouse :P.
20 GB 7200 rpm harddrive ( It may be a Seagate but I wouldn't bet on it)

Also I'm using the 23.11 drivers since they have been the most friendly so far.. the newer drivers I tried not only made opengl freeze but made parts of the game horrible seethrough and such.. not fun.

Aurora
08-16-03, 05:22 AM
i had this problem with my old Geforce2 Ti the problem i found was overheating. I found several ways to fix it,

1. invest in a gfx card fan(the thermal take one is good)
2. declock your graphics card
3. change the agp timing in bios

There was a problem about this in the W2k support forums, it was because the VIA 4 in 1 haddnt been installed and win2k needed it. Winxp has it installed by default. did u upgrade from win98 to winxp with 4in1 installed?

change drivers, newer ones put more strain on the card

sheeps
08-16-03, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Aurora
i had this problem with my old Geforce2 Ti the problem i found was overheating. I found several ways to fix it,

1. invest in a gfx card fan(the thermal take one is good)
2. declock your graphics card
3. change the agp timing in bios

There was a problem about this in the W2k support forums, it was because the VIA 4 in 1 haddnt been installed and win2k needed it. Winxp has it installed by default. did u upgrade from win98 to winxp with 4in1 installed?

change drivers, newer ones put more strain on the card

How do I do two and three? And I'm using the 23.11's as I said before..

and I don't know if I upgraded with a 4in1 install because I don't know what that is..

saturnotaku
08-16-03, 06:59 AM
23.11 drivers? The worst drivers ever released by NVIDIA? You're probably experiencing the infinite loop problem. On the third disc on Unreal Tournament 2003 there are updated NVIDIA drivers, use those or download any version 30.82 or newer from www.*********.com and I virtually guarantee your problems will go away.

Aurora
08-16-03, 09:10 AM
problems like opengl lockups are normally down to the gfx manu making the cards go faster than they can. They just die of heat and lockup! u can use a progrma like powerstrip to declock. its what i use to do before i got a thermaltake gfx card fan

sheeps
08-16-03, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
23.11 drivers? The worst drivers ever released by NVIDIA? You're probably experiencing the infinite loop problem. On the third disc on Unreal Tournament 2003 there are updated NVIDIA drivers, use those or download any version 30.82 or newer from www.*********.com and I virtually guarantee your problems will go away.

I think I already tried the 30.82's..

Wouldn't I be better off buying a new graphics card than a thermal take thing?

Aurora
08-16-03, 10:35 AM
before buying anything u are better of trying all software methods. Have u tried a system resore to last poitn it was working?

sheeps
08-16-03, 10:48 AM
before buying anything u are better of trying all software methods. Have u tried a system resore to last poitn it was working?

That's to late now..

Aurora
08-16-03, 10:57 AM
did u format?

sheeps
08-16-03, 11:37 AM
did u format?

twice.

sheeps
08-17-03, 12:56 AM
so how do I underclock it?

All I want is to be able to play Quake 3, Half-life and that smoothly..

I used to be able to play it hella smoothly but now I can't play it at all :/.

sheeps
08-17-03, 02:15 AM
And Lastly, do you think it may be overheating because I run my comp on the floor? I have no where else to put it :/.

Aurora
08-17-03, 09:46 AM
i dont know if it is overheating, it was just a problem me and some others had. we tried them all and underclockign proved best result. U use a program like powerstrip to underclock. Well its one i used, over at the amd forums there is a huge thread i started all about this its about locking up in Opengl and Direct 3D Applications

sheeps
08-18-03, 02:34 AM
Well I've trying out games recently to see if it does work.. and I was really suprised..

I played the Hulk, XIII, Colin Mcrae 3, and Top Gun.. they all run smoothly and everything, but I think it's under direct3d, but I was very suprised they that ran smoothly under direct3d.. so bleh. :D