PDA

View Full Version : Do all DDR mobo's support SDR?

Nutty
08-15-03, 01:32 PM
Saw a mobo advertised today that says it supports DDR and SDR.. are all DDR mobo's like this? In particular the Abit NFS-7. The abit site doesn't say it does..

Malfunction
08-15-03, 02:13 PM
That Abit only supports DDR Memory. SDR would obviously be PC-133 or PC-100. SDR = 168pin DDR = 184pin, incompatible. :(

Although, a mobo running SDR with an Athlon XP would just be killing the performance of it. PC-133 possible 1GB/8.5 Gbps of bandwidth vs. DDR PC-2100 possible 2.1GB/17 Gbps of bandwidth.

However the answer to your question is no, the Abit NF7-S does not support SDR. Although it might be confusing because it says DDR-SDR meaning the the DDR is Synchronous.

If it offers 168pin DIMM sockets then yes, if it doesn't... then no, it doesn't support SDR.

Peace,

:)

The Baron
08-15-03, 02:24 PM
No, only early Athlon DDR boards support SDR at all. And you should avoid most of those--performance really blows.

Nutty
08-15-03, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I'll be picking up an nforce2 board next pay day, but gotta wait till pay day after for the DDR ram... (life is expensive :) )

Was just wondering if I could stick me sdr in to tide me over.. cheers anyway.

Dazz
08-16-03, 03:46 AM
Nope. the biggest diffrence is the notches, DDR has 1 near the centre and SDR has 2.

Tuork
08-17-03, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
Yeah, I'll be picking up an nforce2 board next pay day, but gotta wait till pay day after for the DDR ram... (life is expensive :) )

Was just wondering if I could stick me sdr in to tide me over.. cheers anyway.

My parents just visited the States and they bough me an nforce2 based mobo (god I love them!).

I have the same problem. My current board is a PC-Chips M810, using SDR memory.

The good thing is I just bought an MSI GeForce 4 ti4200 128meg card (thanks to all those who advised me) so it should work like a charm.

Looks like I'll have to ask my brother for a loan... he he

netviper13
08-18-03, 02:55 AM
Notch locations and voltages are different between the two, so no they can't be used in the same slots. The ECS K7S5A is one of the few decent boards with both DDR and SDR support, but it has its own quirks.

ragejg
08-18-03, 06:23 AM
there are a couple kt266a boards with SDR and DDR support as well... there's not many of em, tho... not like the 'cult classic' ECS mobo... ;) ... this kinda makes me wonder what everyone's favorite lo-cost mobo for 2k3 is...

Dazz
08-18-03, 09:45 AM
ASROCK has most boards with KT266/333 w/ SDR & DDR.