PDA

View Full Version : Check this out

bkswaney
08-15-03, 03:42 PM
http://www.3dcenter.de/artikel/ati_nvidia_treiberoptimierungen/index_e.php

Well it seems both NV and ATI are doing the same thing.
But I think it's always been this way. We just now figured it out. ;)

I'm kinda glad tho. I would rather get 180FPS VS 70 as long as my IQ does not take a big noise dive. ;)

Malfunction
08-15-03, 04:06 PM
I guess I am waiting to hear:

"Well, ATi doesn't do it nearly as much as Nvidia does!"

And yet this mentality would make it ok or acceptable for ATi doing it, but in no way will it be acceptable for ChipZilla. :(

Good find bkswaney. :D

I wonder how many person(s) perceptions will change or remain the same as far as thier stance on *optimizations* are concern. Where are ATi and Nvidia going with this and how much better or worse will it become?

Peace,

:)

The Baron
08-15-03, 04:08 PM
I wonder how many person(s) perceptions will change or remain the same as far as there stance on *optimizations* are concern. Where are ATi and Nvidia going with this and how much better or worse will it become?
It will continue until it gets so bad that the loss is really truly noticeable to the average person. THEN, it will be customizable.

ChrisW
08-15-03, 04:17 PM
Just subtract the amount each card is cheating and that will tell you exactly how much work each card can really do. It should be obvious that after you subtract the 50-70% cheats from the GFFX's scores and the 2-8% cheats from the 9xxx cards which card is capable of doing more work.

Malfunction
08-15-03, 04:20 PM
I would honestly like to see why we are paying so much for these enthusiast cards then. Like a break down of how the card/performance justifies the price. I know I am better off asking for a $100 million winning lottery ticket, but do you know what I am asking?

I mean, are the inflated prices in correlation with extra time the driver teams are spending working on *optimizations*? I understand the hardware and production cost have something to do with it, but seriously... my goodness.. over $500 for what.. *optimizations*? That is half the cost of my system...lol. :eek:

Peace,

:argh:

ChrisW
08-15-03, 04:54 PM
The thing is as soon as they release a new card, they will stop optimizing for the old card. Why? Because it makes the new card look that much faster. Your performance will go back to what it should be.

StealthHawk
08-15-03, 07:14 PM
*coughs* http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15483

P.S. The difference here is that ATI is not forcing the optimization, whereas NVIDIA is. This is bad. There are two ways for ATI users to get full IQ in UT2003. Not to mention that NVIDIA is taking more shortcuts with and without AF.