PDA

View Full Version : HP to exit PC business and quit WebOS

AthlonXP1800
08-18-11, 05:52 PM
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2011/110818b.html?aoid=35252

Wow a double stunning news.

HP was the world number 1 PC manufacturer held 17.5% marketshare in PC shipments in Q2 2011 and now HP decided to get out of PC market and sell PC business in the same direction IBM went, HP will focus on cloud business.

What the hell is HP think? Just a year ago HP acquired Palm for $1.2bn to revived dead WebOS and launched TouchPad Pre phones so now nobody buy WebOS devices. HP is shot in both legs.

Maverick123w
08-18-11, 06:03 PM
Wow

zoomy942
08-18-11, 06:45 PM
I couldn't believe it either.

mojoman0
08-18-11, 06:49 PM
exiting PC business or tablet/mobile business? looks like spinning both off. Apple knocking a titan on its ass, yikes

Redeemed
08-18-11, 08:15 PM
exiting PC business or tablet/mobile business? looks like spinning both off. Apple knocking a titan on its ass, yikes

I hope Apple gets their balls cut off and fed to them. Not just because of this, but because I loathe Steve Jobs and the cult-like "holier-than-thou-elitists" following he has.

So who are they selling it to? Autonomation Corp? Who is that? :lol:

grey_1
08-18-11, 08:43 PM
That's lousy news. I like em.

Rakeesh
08-18-11, 08:51 PM
This is going to really hurt Intel. By really, I mean like bad. Some 25% of their sales revenue comes from HP.

Redeemed
08-18-11, 08:53 PM
As much as I don't like to admit it, I'm convinced cloud computing is the future. No idea how far off in the future, but it is definitely going to take over eventually.

So long as it's not decades upon decades away, HP may have done the right thing.

bacon12
08-18-11, 09:33 PM
I love WebOS, but their phones suck because the hardware sucks. The os is really nice, and its a bummer to see it fail like this.

Rakeesh
08-18-11, 09:36 PM
As much as I don't like to admit it, I'm convinced cloud computing is the future. No idea how far off in the future, but it is definitely going to take over eventually.

So long as it's not decades upon decades away, HP may have done the right thing.

Cloud computing may take over typical office use within the next decade, but anything else is still going to be offline. Things like photoshop, games, and anything that requires real-time rendering or manipulation of content, will require a powerful computer at home.

Imagine how far off into the future it will be for 100mbit connections to be commonplace. Now imagine gigabit, then 10gbit. That still wouldn't be enough bandwidth for even today's high end content.

six_storm
08-18-11, 11:04 PM
To me, WebOS never really took off and never really got third party support. For any smartphone, having good, solid apps and third party support is what it's all about. Why do you think WebOS never took off? Why do you think RIM is (partly) going down the crapper?

Viral
08-18-11, 11:21 PM
Sad news, they often had really nice products.

And yes, I agree that cloud computing is the future for the masses.

TheTaz
08-19-11, 09:47 AM
HP is not a good "consumer product" company.

Look at how they rape everyone for ink on inkjets.
Their consumer PC's are mostly garbage (But so is almost any "Brand PC").
Their Tablet and Phone has flopped.

It makes sense to pull out of the consumer market and stick with the enterprise, just like IBM did. That's their strong suit. Of course, they will still be making printers for consumers... that profit margin is way too lucrative to give up.

As for the person posting all the Steve Jobs / Apple hate... Apple simply makes outstanding consumer products... whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Take OSX for example... it's Basically BSD Unix under the hood. Go Download BSD Unix and install it with any *nix Desktop you choose, and compare it to the "consumer ease of use" of OSX. There's a HUGE difference! THAT is what makes Apple popular. They aren't making stuff for techno-nerds like us... they're making stuff for the "average techno-retarded consumer"... which outnumbers technically proficient folks BY FAR. And that is why they are successful. You remember when your parents had trouble programming the VCR when you were a kid and you had to do it for them? That's who Apple targets.

/shrug

zoomy942
08-19-11, 11:36 AM
I love HP products. We've converted my library to all HP. This is terrible news...

As for cloud computing, I hate it.

I DONT WANT MY COMPUTING EXPERIENCE TO BE TIED TO MY CABLE MODEM.................

nekrosoft13
08-29-11, 09:25 PM

office maybe, but i do hope that consumers won't be that stupid.

candle_86
08-31-11, 08:57 PM
good riddence to bad PC's i hate working on HP's

mullet
09-01-11, 10:44 AM
all OEM PC are junk IMO.

zoomy942
09-01-11, 11:08 AM
all OEM PC are junk IMO.

God bless their warranties........

mullet
09-01-11, 11:24 PM
You get a better warranties with what we buy.

nekrosoft13
09-01-11, 11:43 PM
You get a better warranties with what we buy.

very true.

lifetime, 5 years or 3 years for everything that matters. for no additional cost.