PDA

View Full Version : GameFly to begin a PC game rental service!

Madpistol
08-25-11, 03:16 AM
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/715355/gamefly-explains-pc-game-rentals/#ixzz1UvFQPEka

The system is very similar to that of Netflix: A flat monthly fee gets you 1 console game in-mail + unlimited PC game downloads using Gamefly's proprietary DRM (probably similar to DRM found in MP3 services like Zune.) Therefore, is service stops, the game stops working.

So it's true. Gaming is changing from a product-based industry to a service-based industry. The cool thing about this system is that developers will be paid continuously as opposed to in large chunks with each game release. Score one for PC game developers.

If this works, we're looking at the industry being turned upside down. Personally, I like it. :D

Redeemed
08-25-11, 10:47 AM
Hmm... wondering how well this will do. I may give it a go. :)

ViN86
08-25-11, 02:40 PM
What's the point of getting a game in the mail? If they make all the games available for download that I want, I would subscribe in a second.

I am sure there is a catch, though. At the moment, it sounds like subscription-based Steam where you have access to essentially every game for a monthly fee. While I love the sound of that (I'd gladly pay $15-$30/month to play any game that I want), I am hesitant as to whether or not that would work.

frenchy2k1
08-25-11, 02:52 PM
OnLive has a similar business model with even a bigger twist as you do not even need a gaming PC: the game runs on THEIR servers and the video of it is streamed to your computer.
Advantage: no need for a beefy PC. They even sell a small streaming appliance for cheap to let you play on your TV ($99, free with a lot of offers)
Cons:
- need a very good connection (10Mb+), stable. You can either take a "all you can play" for a monthly fee (and limited to games they offer in it) or "buy" the right to play the game.
- The rendering is not top notch as they compress the video and there may be a little input lag.

You can try it free (they even let you play most games for ~30 minutes free, as a demo).
http://www.onlive.com/

ElL33t
08-25-11, 04:33 PM
This is fantastic news. I HATE buying games only to find out they are poop in a box. You can also rent games you would not think of buying and find a great game.

ViN86
08-25-11, 04:46 PM
OnLive has a similar business model with even a bigger twist as you do not even need a gaming PC: the game runs on THEIR servers and the video of it is streamed to your computer.
Advantage: no need for a beefy PC. They even sell a small streaming appliance for cheap to let you play on your TV ($99, free with a lot of offers)
Cons:
- need a very good connection (10Mb+), stable. You can either take a "all you can play" for a monthly fee (and limited to games they offer in it) or "buy" the right to play the game.
- The rendering is not top notch as they compress the video and there may be a little input lag.

You can try it free (they even let you play most games for ~30 minutes free, as a demo).
http://www.onlive.com/

Yes, but that's not really applicable to most here as many of us have beefy computers. Why would I pay for input lag when I could run the game natively instead? I think GameFly's system is more appropriate for the users here.

bob saget
08-25-11, 04:49 PM
This is fantastic news. I HATE buying games only to find out they are poop in a box. You can also rent games you would not think of buying and find a great game.

i know the feeling, it sucks. you should wait a bit after the game releases and then buy after hearing people's opinions and watching youtube clips.

Thats why I preordered BF3 like months before release :bleh:

bacon12
08-25-11, 05:22 PM
Interesting. Will be curious to see how this turns out.

ATi
08-25-11, 05:43 PM
sounds good :)