PDA

View Full Version : New AMD upgrade....very pleased

Pages : [1] 2

kaptkarl
08-30-11, 09:35 PM
I just upgraded my gaming rig. New Gigabyte AMD based 990 chipset w/ DDR3, Xfire or SLI support, AM3+ motherboard. Installed 16GB G. Skill high performance DDR3 memory. New Phenom II X4 965BE cpu. All I can say is wow. I kept my "old" 5870 as it still kicks some major ass. This thing flies.....I'm really pleased with the performance. And this Gigabyte board is amazing. Great BIOS setup. I'm lovin' it!:D

Kapt

mullet
08-30-11, 11:29 PM
congratulations dude!!

bob saget
08-31-11, 03:19 AM
sounds terrific. pics?

PaiN
08-31-11, 08:16 AM
It time for me to upgrade my base system(CPU/mobo/RAM).....
I've only been looking at some possible Intel rigs....guess I'll have to look into an AMD now ..thx ;)

grey_1
08-31-11, 08:44 AM
I had the 955BE and yeah, those chips are fantastic value. Congrats on the upgrade. :)

scout2of3
08-31-11, 01:20 PM
Congrats on the upgrade. I am looking for a less expensive upgrade myself, either the X4 965 BE or an X6 AMD. If anyone can comment on which AMD processor to get it would help me out tremendously. My Core 2 Duo is getting walloped at times with current games and I am not much of an OC'er.

grey_1
08-31-11, 01:33 PM
Congrats on the upgrade. I am looking for a less expensive upgrade myself, either the X4 965 BE or an X6 AMD. If anyone can comment on which AMD processor to get it would help me out tremendously. My Core 2 Duo is getting walloped at times with current games and I am not much of an OC'er.

I'm running an E8400 at the moment :lol:

If your rig is primarily used for gaming grab the 955BE or 965BE. Good value And very nice performance in games. Anything else that's heavily multi-threaded you can almost price match an i5 rig and would probably have better performance at this point than a hex-a-core AMD chip. You still wouldn't be disappointed by the hex-a-core though.

Good times to be a gamer or enthusiast period, lots of good deals it would be hard to go wrong with.

All depends on your personal requirements.

scout2of3
08-31-11, 02:41 PM
Thanks grey for your help. I have picked out three components (CPU, Motherboard, and RAM) for my upgrade and I should be able to upgrade within a month. Again, thank you for your help as I haven't been up-to-date with AMD products for awhile.

grey_1
08-31-11, 03:16 PM
You're welcome! Like I said above I had a 955BE at stock speeds, then at 3.6 for a while. It wasn't really "faster" than the E8400 I'm using now, but the overall experience was much smoother, especially in cpu intensive apps and games.

I think you'll like it. :)

EDIT: Just a thought though, I believe AMD is scheduled to launch their new line up sometime in September, including some new quad cores I think. Might be worth it to wait that month you mentioned before deciding. :)

Shamrock
08-31-11, 10:16 PM
I had the 955BE and yeah, those chips are fantastic value. Congrats on the upgrade. :)

I'm still using mine with a GeForce 260, for gaming!

grey_1
09-01-11, 05:04 AM
I'm still using mine with a GeForce 260, for gaming!

I'm kind of wishing I hadn't sold mine. :o

bob saget
09-03-11, 11:15 AM
Friend got a 965 Black for $130-$140, taxes included. What amazing value. Sorry for thread jack, but can you guys recommend some RAM. He already has 2 slots filled with 4 gigs total, but he said he might need more.

grey_1
09-03-11, 12:24 PM
Friend got a 965 Black for $130-$140, taxes included. What amazing value. Sorry for thread jack, but can you guys recommend some RAM. He already has 2 slots filled with 4 gigs total, but he said he might need more.

Search end user feedback on forums for his board and ram. A forum member bought my board and bought the same exact ram that ran flawlessly for me and it gave him grief.

Turned out he got a newer, incremental revision than mine, according to Corsair support.

kaptkarl
09-03-11, 02:31 PM
sounds terrific. pics?

Sorry for the delay in responding guys. I've been very busy lately. Played Crysis 2 full boat 1900x1200 ...simply amazing. It's good to see my "old" 5870 strench it's legs abit:D.

Pics to follow....

Kapt

kaptkarl
09-03-11, 02:36 PM
It time for me to upgrade my base system(CPU/mobo/RAM).....
I've only been looking at some possible Intel rigs....guess I'll have to look into an AMD now ..thx ;)

I stuck with AMD for this: Affordability and performance. The BE cpu's are the bomb....they oc very well and run relatively cool. Of course I'm using an after market cooler which helps alot. And with the "latest" AM3+ socket I should be ready for another cpu upgrade next yr....AND some crossfire goodness!!:D Gotta love AMD systems.

Kapt

kaptkarl
09-03-11, 02:37 PM
Search end user feedback on forums for his board and ram. A forum member bought my board and bought the same exact ram that ran flawlessly for me and it gave him grief.

Turned out he got a newer, incremental revision than mine, according to Corsair support.

I paid $119 shipped for my BE 965...hehe

grey_1
09-03-11, 04:06 PM

Ok now see...you just can't beat a deal like that. If gaming is the rigs primary purpose these things rock, but even though they don't top intel's current offerings they're still a fast chip.

Where did you get that deal btw? That's sweet.

Fairchild7102
09-03-11, 09:10 PM
I also am very pleased with my recent switch from my E8400 @ 3.6GHz to my Phenom II X4 945 @ 3.7GHz (was $95 with instant rebate).

It has been quite a performance boost over the 2 core chip as expected. Now to wait for bulldozer and hope it doesn't disappoint.

Johnny C
09-04-11, 06:48 AM

Now clock that bad boy to at least 3.8ghz 2800nb and 2200 HT....then enjoy....also if you have good air cooling don't be scared of the volts on these....I wouldn't go above 1.5v on air...but anything below that with temps less than 55'C during a prime or an intel burn test(what I use) and you're laughing.

Been running mine for over a year @ 3.9 without a hitch...great chip overall

Edit: Right now the 1090T and DX: Human Revolution cost 160 bucks bundled....should I?

grey_1
09-04-11, 08:20 AM
Now clock that bad boy to at least 3.8ghz 2800nb and 2200 HT....then enjoy....also if you have good air cooling don't be scared of the volts on these....I wouldn't go above 1.5v on air...but anything below that with temps less than 55'C during a prime or an intel burn test(what I use) and you're laughing.

Been running mine for over a year @ 3.9 without a hitch...great chip overall

Edit: Right now the 1090T and DX: Human Revolution cost 160 bucks bundled....should I?

I bet you wouldn't notice much difference at all even after pushing the 1090t to 3.9 to match your current clocks, unless you could use the extra cores. I'd wait for bulldozer.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/27/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-black-edition/10

One area where lots of cores doesn’t really help is gaming, as so few titles make full use of four cores, let alone six. Thus, despite its larger number of cores (six versus four) and higher clock speed (3.2GHz versus 2.8GHz), as the Nehalem architecture at the heart of the i7-930 has such a higher IPC (Instructions per Clock) than the K10 architecture at the core of the X6 1090T BE, the i7-930 is still the best gaming CPU.

For example, in Crysis the X6 1090T BE could only manage a jerky 23fps minimum frame rate, compared to the silky smooth 30fps of the i7-930. Interestingly, the X4 965 BE produced the same minimum frame rate as the X6 1090T BE, but had a slightly higher average frame rate; 46fps, versus 43fps. The i7-930 also took the lead in X3: Terran Conflict, with a minimum frame rate of 43fps, versus 38fps from the X6 1090T BE and 41fps from the X4 964 BE.

kaptkarl
09-04-11, 11:20 AM
Ok now see...you just can't beat a deal like that. If gaming is the rigs primary purpose these things rock, but even though they don't top intel's current offerings they're still a fast chip.

Where did you get that deal btw? That's sweet.

Got it at NewEgg.com. It was $129 w/ $10 off instant coupon. Yeah I was going to buy the 980 for $169, but couldn't turn down a quad 3.4GHz cpu for $119 shipped.

kaptkarl
09-04-11, 11:25 AM
I bet you wouldn't notice much difference at all even after pushing the 1090t to 3.9 to match your current clocks, unless you could use the extra cores. I'd wait for bulldozer.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/27/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-black-edition/10

I agree. I did some research before I made my purchase and even read that same article. The 6 core cpu's do not bench any better than the 4 cores in gaming. Actuallly because of the higher clocks on the 4 cores they are actually better for gaming in all but a very few cases. I may go 6 or 8 core in the next year or two, but for now a higher clocked 4 core works the best for me.

My 2 cents.....

Kapt

grey_1
09-04-11, 06:50 PM
Got it at NewEgg.com. It was $129 w/ $10 off instant coupon. Yeah I was going to buy the 980 for $169, but couldn't turn down a quad 3.4GHz cpu for $119 shipped.
Nice - tough deal to beat

I agree. I did some research before I made my purchase and even read that same article. The 6 core cpu's do not bench any better than the 4 cores in gaming. Actuallly because of the higher clocks on the 4 cores they are actually better for gaming in all but a very few cases. I may go 6 or 8 core in the next year or two, but for now a higher clocked 4 core works the best for me.

My 2 cents.....

Kapt
I was going to go with a hex a core when I had my 955BE. We probably read a lot of the same articles :lol:

I'm making the E8400 I'm using now squeal, but it has to last a while longer. :lol:

Redeemed
09-04-11, 06:59 PM
Nice - tough deal to beat

I was going to go with a hex a core when I had my 955BE. We probably read a lot of the same articles :lol:

I'm making the E8400 I'm using now squeal, but it has to last a while longer. :lol:

I see a nice upgrade for that rig on the horizon.

:bleh:

:lol:

grey_1
09-06-11, 07:58 AM
I see a nice upgrade for that rig on the horizon.

:bleh:

I see a nice gfx upgrade for your rig....on the horizon...:bleh: