PDA

View Full Version : DVD-ROM PC games

Kain
08-17-03, 01:14 PM
When do you think we will see DVD-ROM PC games?

The Baron
08-17-03, 01:21 PM
Several years at least.

vampireuk
08-17-03, 01:29 PM
Yeah it will be a while yet, now would be nice though with the ammount of CDs you get with modern games:rolleyes:

demonized
08-17-03, 01:30 PM
Didnt eidos said they were gonna release games in DVDs. I forgot which game they said they'll be using dvd's.

Nephilim
08-17-03, 02:36 PM
I may be mistaken, but doesn't Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance for the PC come on DVD? Also, didn't a version of Myst come out on DVD?

Dark Jedi
08-17-03, 02:37 PM
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance was a DVD release, wasn't Baldur's Gate also released on DVD? (Not sure on last one...)

We have had some, but not enough. Can't come quickly enough, IMO.

Dark Jedi
08-17-03, 02:49 PM
Also, didn't a version of Myst come out on DVD?

Yup, I believe it did.

Kain
08-17-03, 02:58 PM
Why are they taking so long to put games on DVD-ROM?

Dark Jedi
08-17-03, 03:03 PM
Demand most probably... it took CD based games a while to take off (but that was more due to the price of hardware, and a bad bunch of FMV based games that were released for the format initially) Also the fact that while most users have DVD drives now, not everyone has one in their PC yet.

stncttr908
08-17-03, 04:24 PM
It might also be a good move, because how many of us have dvd recorders? :cool:

Smokey
08-17-03, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Nephilim
Also, didn't a version of Myst come out on DVD?

LOL not sure which one, I have Riven on 5 cds and Myst3 also on 5 cds, if they did release a dvd version, it was not at the time of release :(

Tuork
08-17-03, 04:37 PM
I hope they take some time in coming out.... I still don't have a dvd :(...

But soon!

(flat broke)

LiquidX
08-18-03, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Tuork
I hope they take some time in coming out.... I still don't have a dvd :(...

Ditto!

JonathanM
08-19-03, 09:34 AM
And that's the reason why we barely see any games on DVD. 1 - Lots of people don't have one. 2 - Most agmes only require 1-3 CDs... so why eliminate such a huge fraction of the market.

I think we'll start seeing DVD games sooner that a few years though. Older machines are getting outdated and most PCs (yes even the discount ones) have been shipping with DVD players in them for quite a while. Pretty soon all relatively modern system (required to run newer and more resoure-hungry games) will have them.

Edge
08-19-03, 03:53 PM
If you're asking when PC games will be released on DVDs, the answer is several years ago. Baldor's Gate, Zork: Grand Inquisitor, and some other random futuristic flying game I forgot the name of all had DVD editions several years ago (in fact I think that was back in '98 or '99). But to date, MGS2 is the only PC game that's ONLY availible on DVD. However, I think it will be a while before a large majority of games are shipped only on DVD. Developers know that a lot of "casual" gamers don't own DVD drives, and they're even willing to take the Enter the Matrix route and put the games on up to SIX CDs rather then have to put it on DVD exclusivly. Oddly, this is yet another case where Console games excel compaired to PC games for no reason other then consoles having a consistant platform to develop on. It would be nice if every PC was required to have a DVD drive and a DX9 compatable video card, but sadly until then there's always going to be annoyances with PC games. It's like they were rubbing it in our faces when Myst 3 was on a single DVD for consoles but on PC we're stuck with swapping out FIVE CDs (and I've never seen a DVD version of the Myst games in any stores).

JohnsonLKD
08-25-03, 05:02 PM
a. No DVD standards yet.
b. It costs more than CDs.
c. Sometimes DVD-ROM can't read specified DVD-ROM/RWs.
d. As long as gateway/dell computers put CD-RW/CD-ROMs as their basic ODD, there'll be almost no DVD games.

Dragunov
08-27-03, 10:02 AM
When I buyed my other pc four years ago, who is already sold again, I had a game who was on DVD: Bladerunner

Dragunov

Riptide
08-27-03, 11:22 AM
I believe one of the later Wing Commander games (prophecy?) came out on DVD as well, or at least you could purchase a version of it on that medium. Blade Runner was a HUGE game, something like 3 gigs once it was fully installed. It wasn't a very popular game, either. I tried it out and got stuck sooner or later and eventually just gave up..

Dragunov
08-27-03, 11:33 AM
I managed to finish Bladerunner, only on easy, I tried it on medium, but I get stuck somewhere, so I quit the game

Dragunov

NAZCA M12
08-27-03, 10:09 PM
What? Bladerunner and Zork GI on DVD? I'd love to get my hands on them (i have the CD versions). Actually there is a good number of games on DVD, it's just that with the exception of MGSII, i can't recall another PC game being released solely on DVD. As correctly said, it was mainly the FMV games like Ripper, Black Dahlia, Gabriel Knight 2, Byzantine: The betrayal and others, that were released on multiple CD's, suffered from that and demanded the new medium and started forcing everybody into thinking that maybe future FMV games should be released on DVD.

However, since most major companies decided that FMV's were too expensive to produce, CD remained the best solution and DVD was pressed for service only on extreme situations. Just to add a few more DVD games, don't forget some Cryo games out on DVD (after their CD releases) like Faust, Versailles, also Schizm: Mysterious journey (on 2 DVD's!!), Sherlock Holmes: Consulting detective and Dracula unleashed, Dark side of the Moon, Cydonia (under the name Lightbringer) etc.

The first game that used the DVD format should be Tex Murphy: Overseer which would have either the CD version only or the 5 (if i remember well) CD's and one DVD. Until of course some company named Microsoft bought Access (hey, they shouldn't sell either) and that was the end of the Tex Murphy series. Ah ****, i'd like to see a TM sequel.

tastyweat
08-28-03, 09:46 AM
HL2, D3, MP2, HW2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R are all gonna have DVD options.

Fotis
08-28-03, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by tastyweat
HL2, D3, MP2, HW2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R are all gonna have DVD options.
Any links or just inside info?
What about Deus Ex : Invisible War?

tastyweat
08-28-03, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Fotis
Any links or just inside info?
What about Deus Ex : Invisible War?

Just info - i haven't heard anything about DX: IW

There was a press release about HL2 being on DVD, but i can't find it atm.

Saint Lucifer
08-28-03, 11:36 AM
For what it is worth, I remember back in 1999 people were talking about how DVD-ROMs were to be the next big thing, and that all of our current CD-ROM drives would be obsolete very soon. Heh, as you can obviously see, that didn't even happen.

Realistically, the need to change standards isn't as great as it was when the standard was Floppy 1.44 MB and the change was to CD-ROM 650 MB.

When you're regularly installing software that spans 5 CDs, then maybe you'll see more companies moving towards abandoning the CD-ROM format.