PDA

View Full Version : Why don't drivers detect Aero as a 3D app?

dairy hick
09-07-11, 07:04 AM
If they did, then the input lag would drop (assuming the max number of prerendered frames was reduced to zero or 1 in the CP).

Is it up to the IHVs and they just choose not to do so, or does MS not allow Aero to be detected as a 3D app? I was thinking the latter, but I'm not 100% sure, so that's why I was asking.

EciDemon
09-07-11, 08:48 AM
I think aero is using some features of graphics cards but i don't think it's using any 3d acceleration at all.
If anything it's using the 2d aspects of the cards.

It's different in linux, using kompiz or whatever which is 3d accelerated using OpenGl. It's a big difference.

When I first saw aero in vista I just had to laugh, 14 years ago I had aero like effects in amiga os. Semi transparent windows that blurred what was behind them, shadows behind menus etc.

dairy hick
09-07-11, 11:07 AM
I think aero is using some features of graphics cards but i don't think it's using any 3d acceleration at all.
If anything it's using the 2d aspects of the cards.

It's different in linux, using kompiz or whatever which is 3d accelerated using OpenGl. It's a big difference.

When I first saw aero in vista I just had to laugh, 14 years ago I had aero like effects in amiga os. Semi transparent windows that blurred what was behind them, shadows behind menus etc.
I thought it used shaders but I could be wrong about that. Or maybe I don't know what I'm even talking about.

Why doesn't reducing the max number of prerendered frames work with Aero?

EciDemon
09-07-11, 06:19 PM
here's a couple articles dealing with the 2d drawing in earlier windows and also in vista/win7 and how it relates to discrete gfx cards from nvidia and ati.

link (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2d-windows-gdi,2539.html)
part 2 (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2d-windows-gdi,2547.html)

Aero isn't 3d. But it does render to texture and use buffers of the 3d hardware if I understand it right.

Peoples-Agent
09-11-11, 05:27 AM
If it were treated as full 3D your card clocks would be constantly ramped up, that's not what you want at all.