PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Home only reporting 128MB on FX 5900 Ultra (256MB) Card?

CosmicTigger
08-17-03, 10:52 PM
I have a rather odd problem that I'm hoping someone else can help me resolve.

I have a BFG Asylum Geforce FX 5900 Ultra w/ 256mb of RAM.

Upon boot video card BIOS shows 256MB VRAM (this is correct)

In WindowsXP Home (what I'm currently using), DXDIAG under "display" tab shows video ram=128MB (this should be 256mb, all direct3d tests and other tests run fine)

In "display properties" under advanced in the NVIDIA panel RAM=256MB (this is correct)

In Future Mark's 3DMark2003 under system info: total local video memory=128MB, total local texture memory=128MB, Total AGP memory=128MB (shouldn't total local video memory and texture memory both be 256MB?)

More System Info:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I have an Intel D875PBZ motherboard and have flashed it to BIOS version number: BZ87510A.86A.0041.P09 dated 07/22/03 (the latest one) with no change.
My AGP Aperature size in the BIOS is set to 128MB (setting to 256MB makes no difference)
I am running NVIDIA Detonator drivers version: 45.23 (latest, older version didn't do anything either)
I am running DX9.0b (latest)
I am running 3dMark2003 version 3.3.0 (latest patch)
I am running WindowsXP Home SP1 (all critical windowsupdates applied)
All NVIDIA tech demos (from their website) run fine, even the FX 5900 Ultra specific ones.

So basically it looks like the video card itself is reporting correctly at least through the BIOS and the NVIDIA drivers report correctly but windows does not through dxdiag. I'm not sure where the NVIDIA drivers look for this info or if they just default to 256mb since they see a 5900 ultra card without actually checking the RAM. Then again I don't know where dxdiag looks either but for some reason it's not pulling the correct info.

I read somewhere that WindowsXP might have an issue reading VRAM on cards over 128mb since there were no 256mb cards when it came out. Could this be true?

Also I found some other people on FutureMark's site who have virtually identical system configurations in all aspects (except they had a different brand of FX 5900 Ultra board) and they're dxdiag and 3dMark2003 system info reports 256mb correctly. The only difference was that they are running WindowsXP Pro (I have home). Maybe it's a problem with XP Home?

In any event I'd like my system to correctly report the amount of available VRAM in all locations since if a program looks to DirectX or windows for the amount of VRAM to run with and only sees 128MB I'm running on one leg.

Also my video card has the heat spreaders on the back so I know it has 256mb of RAM physically. And I've verified that the power connector is plugged into the card. I'm running a 450watt power supply.

If you could offer any suggestions that I haven't already tried please do. I would appreciate your help. I have searched the net and NVIDIA forums and can't really find much on this issue. The card is relatively new so maybe it's a new issue.

By the way I've also tried changing all instances in the registry of "HardwareInformation.MemorySize" to 00,00,00,10 (= 256mb) [it was initially reporting 00,00,00,08 =128MB]. These keys are located at: HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{9A16C891-192F-4444-931A-BBF57E925C3B}/0000 (and a few other places, run a search, your hash number will also probably be different [the part in { } ])
This actually works temporarily as when you set it to 00,00,00,10 dxdiag will report 256mb correctly, but upon reboot it changes back to 08, maybe tracking why this is is the key? Where is it getting 08 from?

Thanks,

bkswaney
08-17-03, 11:06 PM
Don't worry about it. The card is using all 256.
I've seen many post on this subject. :)

CosmicTigger
08-18-03, 01:44 AM
Hmm...do you recall what the reason for the discrepancy was? It's a rather odd problem.

bkswaney
08-18-03, 01:52 AM
For some reason windows only reads it as 128mb.
Not sure why.

AthlonXP1800
08-18-03, 02:38 AM
I remember read this same issue on other threads, it will be fixed by reformatting your hard drive. Looked like you didnt formatted your hard drive.

Morrow
08-18-03, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by AthlonXP1800
I remember read this same issue on other threads, it will be fixed by reformatting your hard drive. Looked like you didnt formatted your hard drive.

Don't format your HD, that won't fix it. Anyway, it just windows reporting 128mb but your drivers are making full use out of the 256mb so don't worry!

AthlonXP1800
08-18-03, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Morrow
Don't format your HD, that won't fix it. Anyway, it just windows reporting 128mb but your drivers are making full use out of the 256mb so don't worry!

Well mine reported it as 256Mb on both DxDiag and 3DMark 2003.

krocodile
08-18-03, 09:26 AM
Here's a thought.
Does the Dawn ULTRA version of the Nvidia Demo need to use all 256MB's of the cards RAM in order to work correctly? If so, I was thinking maybe you could download and try and see how or if that works. Obviously if it errors out or something, then maybe your machine isn't seeing the memory correctly. I checked my DirectX Diag and it lists the total memory as 256MB on my system. *shrugs*

We can only hope that it's just a fluke

Have fun! :)

CosmicTigger
08-18-03, 11:11 AM
Yes as I mentioned in my initial post I was able to run all of the FX 5900 demos on the NVIDIA site including the Dusk demo and the Dawn demo just fine. There were two that were labeled as enhanced for the 5900 ultra but I'm not sure if they wouldn't run on a normal 5900.

Hopefully it's just an odd windows fluke and won't affect actual performance. I'm getting about 6090 in 3dMark2003.

jAkUp
08-18-03, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by krocodile
Here's a thought.
Does the Dawn ULTRA version of the Nvidia Demo need to use all 256MB's of the cards RAM in order to work correctly? If so, I was thinking maybe you could download and try and see how or if that works. Obviously if it errors out or something, then maybe your machine isn't seeing the memory correctly. I checked my DirectX Diag and it lists the total memory as 256MB on my system. *shrugs*

We can only hope that it's just a fluke

Have fun! :)

no it does not need a 256mb card... i was able to run the ultra version on my card

Geforce4ti4200
08-18-03, 03:38 PM
if 128mb was defective, youd get like 3k marks in 2001 like the last guy was getting. even his bios showed 128mb

CosmicTigger
08-18-03, 04:45 PM
Yeah and like I said I am getting around 6000-6100 3dmarks in the 2003 version so I think that's about right with the rest of my system specs (P4-3.2ghz, SB Audidgy2, 1GB RAM etc.).

It's just one of those annoying small problems.

Xguy
08-20-03, 08:45 AM
I remember I had the same problem with my old Ti4600 winXp was reporting crazy amount of ram , I tried everything from reinstalling Sp1 , video driver , agp drivers nothing worked, however the solution was very simple someone posted it on one of the forums and I forgot were, I did do a lots of searches today, to help you out but I couldn't find that post , but I'm gonna take a wild guess and try to remember the solution , I know for sure it has to do with your system properties, so try this :

go to system properties
click advanced
under performance click settings
click advanced again
make sure both radio buttons are checked to "programs"
apply and close.

now if this solves your problem that's great please post and let me know if not, I know for sure it's something very similar to that, it was a matter of checking one radio button somewhere, I will do more searching to see if I can find that post.
in the mean time do not waste your time reinstalling anything.
good luck